Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Accord for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

225,000 miles and still a beast

Lilbit Libra, 11/18/2015
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing this review because I have owned my Honda accord since 2003. I have done very little repairs over the 10+ years. Only replaced an O2 sensor. Its has been a godsend. Only had transmission problem because McGee tire put junk fluid. As soon as I put Honda trans fluid back in, zero problems. My car just hit 225,000 and just had to give her front end brakes, rotors, bearings, tie rods. All general maintenance. This car will last forever.Its death due us part so look for my 500k update.

VERY GOOD USED CAR

hondas_rule, 04/14/2014

Bought this as my work car this past Christmas break with 121k miles on it. These are great cars but Honda did have some troubles with this new body style in '03. The V6's eat up transmissions if you are the type to mash the gas and make the transmission shift under full throttle acceleration. The 4 cyls don't seem to have transmission issues. I had to replace the cruise control switch on the steering column which was an easy and cheap fix ( $35 on eBay ). The driver side door lock actuator which requires taking the door panel off went bad ( $20 on eBay ). Drivers seat belt light on the dash won't go out even though I have it buckled. Not that big a deal. Overall a great car for $5800

Great car with lots of little issues

Pickandpray, 07/24/2015
EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car second hand and it has many little problems that don't sully the overall satisfaction with driving the car. BAD: door lock actuator failure moon roof relay dark radio prevents seeing the station or the time tail lights leak water internally clear coat peeling GOOD: Very acceptable audio quality (decent bass in factory component setup) Very smooth quiet ride Pretty good handling (not sporty but not floaty either) No excessive wind noise on the highway During high speed road trips the suspension feels under dampened when hitting dips in the road at 80mph. Suspension feels great below 70mph. *update* After sorting out the little issues, the car has been problem free except for an idler bearing that needed replacement twice and my heat is not too warm but a coolant flush helped a little. I'm still very happy with this car because it has been very dependable and I hope it stays that way for atleast a few more years.

Transmission Failure

Shannon, 08/13/2015
LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as my first car. It worked wonderfully, I loved it! Then two weeks later the transmission fails. Everywhere I read says this is a common problem with this year. I spent all my money I saved on this car, I don't have enough to buy a new transmission.

Honda made a mistake in 2003...

Mike Wilcox, 02/28/2016
EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sorry but after this 2003 Honda Accord EXL v6 ( yes FULLY LOADED ) blew the transmission today after 112,000 miles, I will not buy another Honda. Honda missed the mark on the 2003 cars and we are paying for it. This one has required expensive repair around 110,000 miles including a $3500 transmission, a $2400 power steering replacement and a $3000 paint job due to peeling clearcoat. Note, other annoyances includes door lock actuator failure at about the same time. Didn't most cars fail like this, ie at 100k miles, in the 1970s? Something happened starting in 2003 to Honda quality to let these problems hit the consumer and unfortunately in our case we had to pay for the repairs. It is a sad day, like losing a friend. Particularly, since we have three Hondas in the family. Survivors include a 2002 Accord and a 2003 CRV. The 02 Accord and 03 CRV each have over 200,000 miles on them and have had no serious problems including a rock solid original engine and transmission. In the past, we paid more for Honda quality and expected more from Honda. In my case, we ignored the complaints against the 2003 - 2005 Hondas thinking it was a fluke, this was a bad mistake. And sadly, you can not trust Hondas to the point where you pay more for a Honda than any of the other brand. So the morale of the story is that 'you' must add Honda to the list of vendors that you MUST use a 'buyer beware' approach. Do your homework, delay the purchase and shop around.