Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Accord for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

225,000 miles and still a beast

Lilbit Libra, 11/18/2015
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing this review because I have owned my Honda accord since 2003. I have done very little repairs over the 10+ years. Only replaced an O2 sensor. Its has been a godsend. Only had transmission problem because McGee tire put junk fluid. As soon as I put Honda trans fluid back in, zero problems. My car just hit 225,000 and just had to give her front end brakes, rotors, bearings, tie rods. All general maintenance. This car will last forever.Its death due us part so look for my 500k update.

5 out of 5 stars

Great car with lots of little issues

Pickandpray, 07/24/2015
EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car second hand and it has many little problems that don't sully the overall satisfaction with driving the car. BAD: door lock actuator failure moon roof relay dark radio prevents seeing the station or the time tail lights leak water internally clear coat peeling GOOD: Very acceptable audio quality (decent bass in factory component setup) Very smooth quiet ride Pretty good handling (not sporty but not floaty either) No excessive wind noise on the highway During high speed road trips the suspension feels under dampened when hitting dips in the road at 80mph. Suspension feels great below 70mph. *update* After sorting out the little issues, the car has been problem free except for an idler bearing that needed replacement twice and my heat is not too warm but a coolant flush helped a little. I'm still very happy with this car because it has been very dependable and I hope it stays that way for atleast a few more years.

3.88 out of 5 stars

VERY GOOD USED CAR

hondas_rule, 04/14/2014
EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this as my work car this past Christmas break with 121k miles on it. These are great cars but Honda did have some troubles with this new body style in '03. The V6's eat up transmissions if you are the type to mash the gas and make the transmission shift under full throttle acceleration. The 4 cyls don't seem to have transmission issues. I had to replace the cruise control switch on the steering column which was an easy and cheap fix ( $35 on eBay ). The driver side door lock actuator which requires taking the door panel off went bad ( $20 on eBay ). Drivers seat belt light on the dash won't go out even though I have it buckled. Not that big a deal. Overall a great car for $5800

BadTranny

nikkithediyer, 08/12/2014
EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used in 2012 with about 181k. That thang was surprisingly fast. Loved taking it out on the highway on trips. It was my 3rd Honda. I drove it from Philly to Atlanta and back. Tranny died at 211k. I drive a lot. I must say, it was low on trans fluid but it was also very very dark. I don't know too much about cars my research suggests there could have been that common issue of the 3rd gear not being lubricated properly and grinding out....or maybe neglect on my part. Either way, I don't have the car. I sold it cheap but really miss it! Wish I'd kept it and just replaced trans. I should have noticed the subtle hard downshift from 3rd the 2nd from the beginning...can't win em all.

Our Experience

Ty, 06/25/2016
EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a car that I insisted my friend should get after her first lemon of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Turns out that this Accord makes that lemon look heaven-sent. It's a shame because I drive a 2000 Honda Accord with over 210,000 miles. The suspension rattles and clunks, the engine burns oil, but it runs well otherwise and hasn't given me any major issues. The 2003 Honda Accord that my friend got has just 79,000 miles. The ride is infinitely better, the seats are much more comfortable, and the car is all around a significant improvement from the previous model. However, the number of issues that the 2003 Accord has way outnumbers my own Accord just 3 years older. The transmission is absolutely garbage. This car has left us on the side of the road outside of Vegas in the middle of the summer with an overheated transmission, pouring fluid all over the side of the freeway. After getting one part of the transmission fixed, it started to shift hard. The tail light switch failed and started killing the battery, which I had to fix on my own to save some money. The AC would only blow cold air through one half of the car. The list of issues go on. All in all, as much as I love this car, the quality of the mechanical components is incredibly bad. A car that I told my friend would be reliable and problem-free has been anything but. CarComplaints.com rates this car as the second worst car to purchase and suggests "avoiding this model year like the plague." Boy were they right. Be careful when thinking about buying a 2003 Honda Accord. As much as I love this car, I hate it just as much.

2 out of 5 stars