Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

$806 - $1,970

Used Accord for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Honda is the Best Car

Nickspleen, 08/17/2004

I have had my Honda now for almost 8 years and it is GREAT! I have not had to sink tons of money into it. I recommend a Honda to everyone.

Grrrreat Car

jdsharc, 09/10/2004

This is my 3rd Honda (83 Civic wagon, 86 Accord) and I've driven the stuff out of it. The only money I've put into it has been a timing belt - required - and some A/C work - not Honda's strongest link. I have no complaints about this car. Can see the benefits of a 5-speed, though and it's a blast to drive.

Nice Car, Iffy Build Quality

ColdSteel, 09/25/2004

I like the styling, lots of aftermarket parts available. Aftermarket sunroof stinks. Tranny lurches at low speeds, engine is unexcepticly noisy and enemic. Needs VTEC. Windows are really slow. Handeling is bad. But it does looks nice. :)

from a tuner's perspective

kevin murphy, 10/16/2004

Ok, if you are interested in adding performance parts to this car you are in luck, there are tons of them available. The car handles well stock but adding a new set of swaybars, lowering springs, struts, and tires will litterly make this handle better than 95% of the cars on the road today. The car has the makings of a great handler. If power is your thing, the stock engine is not what you are looking for. i have the non-vtec so i cant comment but mine is sufficent but by no means fast. You may want to add an H22 out of a prelude. this is what im doing. Styling is subjective but i will say this. The car is very bland stcok so you can add body kits ect. and

Too Many Times In The Shop!

SweetTee, 11/03/2004

I had this car for two years and I constantly had this car in and out the shop getting minor things fixed on it. I had brakes and rotors put on the car 3 times ( I have a heavy foot) but Im fine with that. I brought the car when it only had 77,000 miles on it. I had water pump, timing belt, temperature gauge, lower ball point replace on both sides and CV boot, alternator and now I need to replace one of my ABS speed sensors and the engine light is on and I dont know whats wrong with the car. I take very good care of my car dont get me wrong. Sometimes I just want to get rid of it. As of right now it has 150,000 miles on it.

Reliable

Sid, 03/08/2005

Like the other posts say, the car is relibile. Only took it to the shop once.. to do a valve adjustment because I didn't want to do it myself. Everything else I worked on and it's been running great. There's so many things you can customize on this car. The service manual for this car is the best manual I've ever seen. Shows you how to do everything in detail steps.. Honda is known for this.Power Windows can be a problem. Had to replace the driver side power window assembly twice. Power Windows are slow due the flimsy design of the pulley system. Too much tension being place on the cable.Over all it's been a very good car.. It's taken a lot of abuse and keeps on working!

Super Commuter

LStrick, 03/13/2005

Love my Honda LX 4dr 5spd. Bought it at 13,000 miles, now have 260,000!!! commute 90 miles one way to work 5 days a week, from high desert Antelope Valley CA over a mountain and down a long freeway into Pomona CA. Gas mileage avg 27 highway at 75 to 80 mph! Blew a seal on FWY at 120,000 miles, repair expensive but COVERED by extended warranty. Power to pass going UPHILL is great! Doesn't corner worth 2 cents, so Angeles Crest to work is short cut, but everbody passes me because I'm slow on the canyon curves. Otherwise outstanding car.

Rock solid

alex, 02/18/2006

Best car I've ever owned. Requires no repairs, EVER. I live where there is salt on the roads, hence a new radiator due to rust. 100% reliable, would drive it anywhere in North America. You don't know quality til you've owned a Honda.

Best car I've ever owned

J.J., 03/02/2006

I bought my 97 Accord LX 4cyl in 1999 with 23,000 miles. I have since driven the car to 148,000, with no problems what so ever. The only thing I did was perform basic maintaince, such as tires, brakes, timing belt, cv joints, etc. My only concern is that the power windows are very slow, especially in cold weather. Other wise I love this car. It also aged very well, The day I sold it with 148K it looked and drove just as it did when I got it with 23K. Needless to say, I am replacing it with a newer Accord, a 2003 model.

A Great Car

MMF of Baton Rouge, 06/13/2006

A great car for town and long distance driving. Driven in U.S. and Canada. Carried 3 adults and full camping gear in comfort. Engine purrs like a cat on the road. Almost no repairs needed outside scheduled preventive maintanence. Has 100,000 in nine years and ready for ten years more driving.

Still Happy!

Stacie, 06/14/2006

This was my first new car purchase and it remains a great decision. I purchased this car due to the distance I would be traveling to college and have always felt safe, had great reliability, and continue to get great gas mileage. With basic maintenance and the purchase of new tires, my Value Package Honda has lived up to every expectation. I'll be purchasing a new vehicle soon, but a family member has already asked to buy my 1997 Honda because of how great it is!!

Beauty

dove21, 03/21/2003

This is the first Accord I have bought and I just love it. The look is so sleek and smooth. It handles very nice and I am so happy to be the second owner of it. The elderly couple only had 48900 kms on it when I bought it last April. Very stylish car!

10 Years Old

Kolbow, 12/10/2006

This car has been great to drive. Having a manual transmission makes it more fun to drive. I hate to give this up. I hope I can get one more winter out of it.

4 ever Honda

tentoto, 04/02/2003

I bought this car for my wife, After allready selling a 1986 accord with 209,000 miles on it (trouble free) only its routine timing belts when needed, The 86 Was a great car, Now the 1997 has aprox 159,000 on the speedo (trouble free) it will be a cold day in He** before i ever own anything else.This could explain why i also own a 98 crv,a 91 crx,honda generator, honda weed eater, and a Honda generator.I never ever thought id stay GM for a long while, But then Honda proved to be Bullet proof.Id incourage anyone to purchase a Accord.

Get Honda get reliability

askhan65, 03/06/2002

Hi This Honda is my Second Honda CAR. I had a 1988 Handa Accord and because of the nice experience, I got the secong Honda. Since I have bought it, I have enjoyed driving it. It never gave me any problems, very reliable and had a pleasure drive. Plenty of space in the trunk, in fact it amazed my LEXUS driving friend.

My reliable friend

Doug, 06/05/2007

My favorite communter car ended its days today . . . alas a jerk looking down at his cell phone rear-ended her with me in it at about 40 mph. Of course that I am typing tonight is testimony to her design and strength of unit body. The car was shortened about 18" by the impact and the DS seat broke and I ended up half in the back seat. She is gone, but I am not! Before toda,y her 168,000 miles were a pleasure. Faithful service with no problems and we fully expected another 100,000 miles in the family. She is gone but not forgotten.

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated

aguywhoknowscars, 07/02/2007

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

More style than a Camry

shamarcus, 07/06/2007

This car has more style than a Camry but comes up short in the gotta-have department. I have owned a Jetta and a Maxima. The Accord would be my 3rd choice for the gotta-have-it factor. In my opinion, the car has been very reliable with low cost on the wear and tear parts such as brakes and belts. They actually last a long time. There are lot of aftermarket parts to personalize your Honda.

Great car, sad it's getting old...

Esseppi, 11/24/2007

I boght this car knowing very little about the reputation of the Accord. Loved it from the first second of driving. Extremely reliable, only had to replace radiator once and battery another time. Extremely fuel efficient.

Wonderful

kp, 03/08/2002

I have never had a problem with this car. It just rolled over 80k and it still drives like new, very responsive. I've thought about getting a new car, but it's hard to leave such a great one behind.

My 1997 Honda Accord SE

yadax3, 03/08/2002

After 5 years and 105,000 miles I have only replaced the tires, battery and brake pads. My Accord SE has never had a break down.

Accord Wagons Rule!

rhodieboy, 04/02/2003

I have loved this car since the day I drove it off the lot! It's stylish, sporty and best of all, its a station wagon. My two dogs fit great in the back. Honda makes a great car. Spirited performance, tight suspension, rock solid reliability. With close to 90k miles now my "eucalyptus green pearl" LX 5 speed is great! No major problems other than a d/s window actuator and the airbag sensor both of which were covered under warranty... I am up to change the timing belt which might be $$$$! The cheapest Honda dealer wins!

honda utility, back and forth to work

HondaValueSedan, 03/09/2002

I bought this vehicle for reliable transportation to and from work. The car has been very dependable. However, the car is low and light...as a result, I do not feel that safe. Now that I have children, I plan to upgrade and buy something more safe. However, my Honda has been great and I am looking for to a high residual value.

RAWNESS

THEPITSTEELERS, 03/10/2002

THIS CAR IS AWSOME THE POWER THE SPEED THE DESIGHN AND IT IS THE EASIEST CAR TO ADD ATREET RACING FEUTURES TO I WILL RECOMONED THIS RAW CAR TO EVERYBODY IT IS TRULY THE BEST

Safest investment of my life

bigjboss, 06/04/2003

I bought my 1997 accord ex v6 used after I got my first real job. It's the only thing that i haven't had to worry about since. Other than when I have run into things, I have had absolutely no problems

Heaven Sent

Val, 10/11/2002

This vehicle has been heaven sent. First owner and vehicle now has about 53,000 miles, and never experienced one mechanical problem. Prior, owned a little civic hatchback and same history, never one mechanical problem. As a woman, I thank the heavens for this vehicle, never leaving me stalled, brokedown or anything unexpectedly going out on me especially on the road. I feel safe with my honda. Thanks Honda!

Great Car

PennyPincher, 06/14/2003

Our Honda Accord has been the best car we have ever owned. The only work that has been done on the car is routine maintenance. Our Accord had no problem getting through this years long winter.

Honda review

Thomas73, 06/21/2003

By far, this has been the best vehicle I have ever purchased. Fuel economy is great, highway comfort is excellent (I travel quite often), and interior features/amenities are in "the right place'...at 117,000 miles, no squeaks or rattles and the engine is still just as smooth and peppy as the day it was purchased, I would definitely recommend a Honda product to my friends. Simple routine maintenance is all any car requires, but this is my 6th car and it is the easiest to maintain, virtually worry-free.

Going on 100K

Bingo69, 06/22/2003

Car has lasted for a 100K miles with any major problems. I have replace bracks, tires, and battery. The the factor scheduled maintanance can be very pricey.

awesome/dependable car

losersk8er, 06/29/2003

I bought this car in february after months of searching for it after my 1990 LX was totalled. I love this car even better than the first one i owned. It performs very well, as I have won every race i've ever been in it with. It's also very stylish and i would recommend it to anyone, you'll have fun driving it, and theres plenty of stuff out there u can buy to make it a little more fun if you want.

Reliable, basic transport

Hondaowner, 07/01/2003

Our Accord has had very minor repairs done other than regular maintenance. We are very happy with that. You can always be sure that when you turn the key, the engine will start and the car will move. AT 75K miles it shows no signs of trouble. The engine, however, is too weak for a car this size. If you have the AC on, forget about any acceleration even with a manual tranny. Performance and cornering are total afterthoughts.

great ride

sancarlos, 03/21/2002

couldn't ask for more

Almost 20 years of complete satisfaction

Flyha, 05/19/2016
LX 2dr Coupe

This car was so reliable until about year 15, when original parts needed replacement regularly. Unfortunately, exhaust seems to have the shortest life on Hondas, but replaced it around year 10 or 11 and nothing since.

By far my favorite car I've owned

tabby, 04/09/2008

My poor accord had it's last ride 5 days ago. I got broadsided by a huge lifted Chevy Silverado truck on my drivers side door (the truck was going 60 mph on impact) and I walked away from the accident, and only ended up with some stitches (from the broken window glass) and a black eye. The police said they'd never seen a compact car hold up that well in that severe of a crash, and in most cars I would have been dead. And to top it off, the Chevy truck had minimal damage but wouldn't start, and my crushed Honda still started, drove, and all the electrical still worked. Furthermore, I have not had any problems ever with this car, nor had my mom who bought it new. Next car will be another Honda.

Solid Car

Richa, 05/01/2008

This is the most solid built car I've ever owned-- almost eleven years old and no rattles! None. Also, there was a recall to replace dist. cap, rotor, wires, etc. within the past two years that would have addressed some of the other reviewers reliability complaints. My only "repair" (besides expected maintenance) was a new starter. This has got to be one of the better used car buys--30 mpg for a car that seats five.

I'd do it again!

CoryinTX, 05/06/2008

So I purchased my '97 Accord about 3 years ago. Since then I've only had minor things to replace (both knobs for the A/C, timing belt & water pump, radiator, brake pads). I absolutely love my car! It has just about 115K miles and it still runs like a dream. This is the 3rd Accord that I've owned. The car is 11 years old, but I'm willing to bet that it's got another 150K miles left on it. The backseat is just ok for long trips (say my friends) & the front seats aren't that bad either. Could use just a little bit more leg room after 5 hours on the road (my partner & I are 6'4") & some extra lumbar support for the driver would be nice. All of these are minor issues though. GREAT CAR!!!

Reliable, Great MPG, Perfect color

sadtoseeitgo, 05/20/2008

This car was 2 years old when we bought it. Loved the look & at the time it was a good fit for us however due to back trouble I have to find a vehicle that sits up a little higher. No complaints about this car otherwise. We get about 23 MPG in town. IN LOVE with the color somewhere between silver & gold. Compared to my sisters Camry of the same year the Honda paint job has held up better. We have kept all scheduled maintenance up, so this will be a great car for it's new owner. Also I think this is still a very attractive car

The Honda

ladalang, 04/01/2002

This is a great vehicle. Very reliable. zippy when it needs to be. I really like it and it's great to drive on short trips. Long trips the left arm rest very uncomfortable.

97 honda accord

Daniel, 07/25/2018
EX 4dr Sedan

This car is still running good, it is older but worth 5x the book value in terms of reliability. still gets more MPG then newer cars- it is a heavier car then most sedans it is not as fast getting up to 60mph But faster still then many sub sized cars that are much newer also. Just dont like how the brakes work still, even new it is a bit slow stoping.

Since 1997!

Sean, 06/22/2020
DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my white 1997 Honda Accord brand new in 1997, and have never looked back! This car will absolutely never let me down, especially with the slightest amount of love and care. The car has bounced between my hands where it has been regularly used, as well as to my mother in law, who uses it some but not all that often, perhaps a 3 month gap between a 10+ mile drive. However, the car starts right up no matter how long its been sitting, winter included! True Honda quality. Currently, the car has just cracked 200 000 miles (which for these old Honda's is nothing), and has at least double that left in it. The car has not let me down, all the love I've put into it over all these years, it has given right back to me tenfold. Thank you so much Honda!

51050