Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Accord for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Car - Honda Success

Jbruce, 06/09/2004

We bought our 97 Accord 4DR Special Edition as a Certified lease return when it was 3 years old and had 32,000 miles. Though it was used when we bought it, it seemed like a new car. The ride is very stable and quiet. Fuel mileage is excellent. Features include CD player, sunroof, security system, woodgrain accents, alloy wheels and all power accessories. The seats are very comfortable, and it is easy to sit for hours. Our only problem is a creaking noise infrequently from front left suspension. The engine could have more passing power, but we benefit from the great gas mileage. Honda is a winner and we love their cars!

Finally a used car you can rely on!

Dakny, 03/09/2003

My biggest fears about buying a used vehicle were reliability and sturdiness of interior and exterior design. I have to say that my car still looks and drives great. It stands up to harsh road conditions and is not expensive to maintain. I still get between 310 miles and 350 miles to the tank. I would definitely either keep this car for a long time or trade up for a newer Honda Accord model.

An amazing car

JCA, 08/19/2004

These cars continually amaze me. I bought mine from the first owner, and it had 100K on it. I couldn't believe how well it still ran, though. It was like driving a new car. The only thing the previous owner had replaced was the tires and the timeing belt. It's a beautiful looking car, and is so solidly built I'll easily be able to run up another 100K on it before I even need to think about replacing anything.

170 Thousand Trouble Free Miles

DrSardonica, 09/17/2004

The only thing I have done to this car is change the oil, the belts and the tires. I do use synthetic oil. Given the performance of this car, I would never own anything but a Honda.

My first car

shaun, 01/25/2005

This is the first car I've owned that I am actually paying for (I just got out of college) and I have to say it's a fantastic piece of machinery. For being a "boring family sedan", Honda does a good job of making me like this car. I've never had any problems with it in the past 9 months owning it, and will probably own it for a while to come.

My 1997 SE

Erik Hoggatt, 05/06/2005

This is my baby, I take it every where. I drive it to work everyday and would not be afraid to take it coast to coast if needed. She has 230,150 miles on here and have only had services every 60,000 miles except for the timing belt replacement at 105,000 and 210,000 miles. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed a good commuter vehicle, I got 28.9 miles per gallon on my last tank and I'm well on my way to 300,000.

Modest and Reliable

Kaizen, 05/24/2005

I am the owner of a beloved 97 Accord SE- sedan. The car presently has 200,561 miles and had only had it's timing belt replaced once. The car is still in top running condition and frequently makes road trips out-of-town with ease. The complaints about the vehicle are slim to few in between, however, in 97 Honda needed much improvement in their electronic department- power windows were slow or the window motors burnt out. Overall, a wonderful car. Going this evening to pick up my 05 ex-v6 sedan with leather, nav and xm radio. I am looking forward to the increased power, from 130 hp to 240.. Thank you Honda...

Best thing I could have bought!

pastrypuff, 07/17/2006

I love this car! I got it 9 years old, but she still drives like a dream! At the 156,000 mile mark this car is still quiet and reliable. The gas mileage is still great, I've had to only do little things to it. I would recomend this car to any one!

The Ultimate driving machine

Kaio, 09/26/2006

I have owned this Accord for 7 years and I loved it so much that when I needed another car, I bought the exact same one brand new (Accord SE). It has given me absolutely no trouble at all and looks and drives like brand new. I still have the original rear brakes. I have replaced the front brakes once. 2 sets of tyres, a muffler and an expensive 105K mile service ($1000) which included air-conditioner and timing belt. Other than that it is oil change. On top of that it is soooo fun to drive. I wonder why people buy any other car.

My HOnda

Rob X, 04/11/2003

One of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. A pleasure to drive and always dependable.

Reliable

Brian M, 03/29/2007

We've owned this vehicle for 10 years and have had zero mechanical problems. Incredible reliability and it still runs nicely with 165,000 miles on it.

My New Ride

MilesB, 06/07/2007

I recently bought this car, and I must say that I am VERY impressed. It has 145,000 miles on it, and it still runs like a dream. I honestly couldn't ask for more in a used car.

'97 SE accord

SeattleGirl, 10/25/2007

I purchased this car with 55,000 miles on it in Nov '00. I now have 140,000 and it's still going. Do regular oil changes and maintenance. The dealer tells me the oilpan has slight leak, which I won't pay to repair and they say I might never need to repair (pricey fix, like about $1000). Slow window motors, weak AC, great gas mileage, reliable car that looks good too. I'll drive it until it dies, which I hope isn't before 200,000 miles. It is my daily driver to work, I'd love to get a new one but can't see getting rid of such a great car. It was worth the $14,000 paid 7 years ago.

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD

JTHOMAS, 03/11/2002

MY HONDA ACCORD LX IS THE BEST CAR I HAVE OWN. IT HAS A 2.3 ENGINE. I GOT IT MAY OF 1999 WITH 29920 MILES ON IT AND NOW I HAVE 110,000 MILES ON IT. AND I DID NOT TUNE IT UP UNTIL 100,000 MILES ON IT. AND IT DOES NOT USE OIL AND I DO NOT CHANGE OIL BUT EVERY 7500 MILES.IT HAVE NEVER GIVEN ME ANY PROBLEMS.

Gutless and boring

TooWimpy4me, 06/04/2003

I got this car because of its reputation for reliability and economy. I used to have a long commute and it was confortable and economic for that. But now my commute is only 5 miles. The car is very boring and wimpy with not guts and personality of its own, it looks like a Camry or like any other japanese car of the same vintage and class, just another me too car. The A/C smells bad, the auto transmission is rough.

Hondillac

hondillac, 06/23/2015
EX V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned my used 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6 since April 2010. I LOVE MY CAR!! I actually owned a 2002 Honda Accord Coupe, loaded 5-speed stick but a 4-cylinder engine. The power between the two is astonishing!! My V6 is powerful even though its 18 years old!! It has a smooth ride and everything still works; air conditioning, power windows, sunroof, etc,. Don’t get me wrong, I've put money in this car but it has been the greatest car I've ever owned. This model year quality cannot be beat!! Yes, I own a Honda-Cadillac; my Hondillac!!! I’M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR!!! 2015: Ok folks, my baby (Ivory) Hondillac needed a new engine in October 2015. The shop that I chose to replace it took a little longer than expected so I decided to go to a dealership to try my luck on a new Honda. Went in and saw a Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-V6 and as I test drove the car, I wanted it!! I bought it and now that Ivory has been fixed; I drove this car during the winter. And my new baby 2009 (Greyson) is my new Hondillac. But whats so funny!! My 1997s engine sounds better than the new one??? Not sure why but I still LOVE my 1997 Honda and he is still running stronger than ever!!!

Yowzah!

dreddy, 03/17/2002

Bought with 9K miles after searching for 2 mo (5spd was hard to find). This is easily the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Engine holding up well despite my frequent visits to redline and beyond. Fun to drive. Generally very happy with this car, but could use more power.

The Little Time Capsule That Could..

Adrian, 11/15/2018
LX 4dr Wagon

I havent owned the car for too long. Hasnt even been 2 years yet but ive fallen in love with my accord from how smooth it drives, the space it offers me, and what surprises most people when i say i love the simplicity. Im 21 and not many can live without all of the fancy gadgets and accessories the newer cars come with. Ive had more then a handful of friends call it a granny wagon or say its a P.O.S .. laughing at the stock height or its hubcaps. Id open all the doors and show them how well preserved the interior was, no cracked or faded dash, no stains in any of the seats or floor (all thanks to the previous owner who was only owner before me) i even took some of her rules with me. No eating in the car and definitely NO smoking. Ive never had any problems with the car or bad experiences. I will never get rid of my wagon. Any problems pop up in the future its gonna get taken care of. Sucks to know that there are so many discontinued parts. All the more reason to take care of it. I have so much more to say about the 97 accord but ill end it here. Been a while but updating this review, car now has 251k miles and is due for its next oil change at 252. Car has still proven strong.. only thing I can think of as far as problems is having replaced a broken door handle, which was fixed the very next day. My goal with this car is to see if I can reach 500k miles before anything major has to be done. I know it will come eventually.

May Be My Last Honda

bcwalt, 07/31/2003

My Accord was plagued with nagging problems. Among them peeling paint on front bumper; electric windows opened and closed at a snail's pace and squealed loudly as they closed; driver's side electric window regulator replaced twice; cruise control couldn't maintain its set speed to save its life; auto transmission shifted roughly and slipped; serious squeaks and rattles in dash; mediocre gas mileage (25 MPG). This was my third and, likely, last Honda product! I passed up more exciting styling and better handling cars for what I thought would be flawless quality! I ended up with a soul-less, problem-plagued nuisance!

Great value car

tommyslo, 03/18/2002

This car has never given me any problems, is fun to drive, didn't cost much and had lots of options.

No I think I got a bad car

starv55, 05/05/2014

I heard honda's are good cars and can last a long time. I bought this for 4000 with 154,000 miles. Was not worth it. The interior easily falls apart. It runs really badly and scares me. It's been in the shop about 4 or 5x in the last two months. it just came right out and already the check engine light is on. it basically shits itself going up any type of hill even a slight hill. it makes obnoxious noises when i lock the doors and randomly makes noises out of nowhere. i got a new starter and it still starts up really scarily. it vibrates and revs while in park. when i put my foot on the gas to accelerate it freaks out. I really hate this car and I pray I will make enough money to get a new 1

By far the worst car I've ever owned

tmm, 08/25/2005

I would not recommend purchasing a Honda Accord. My car has been a maintenance nightmare. Since the warranty ended, the car has been in the shop every 3-4 months and has required major maintenance. It once took the dealer over a year to diagnose and correct an intermittent problem I had with the car not starting. I replaced the battery, alternator, clock and other electrical things before they figured out it was the ignitition switch. I'm disappointed and will never buy a Honda or Acura vehicle again. Think twice before you buy...

To many times in the shop

Troy, 11/02/2015
LX 4dr Sedan

This accord is the worst car i have ever owned it left me stranded to many times. I strongly advise you not to buy one of these cars especially 1994-1997 go for 1998 or newer. Gas mileage is poor im only getting 16 miles to the gallon and if im lucky 18 mpg. If youre looking to save gas look elsewhere you wont find it in this accord. Acceleration is the worst especially for the engine size im very disappointed its extremely underpowered even without the A/C. The air conditioning system is terrible and weak it does not cool the car down honda could have designed it better. I also have noticed it tends to shut of by itself even when im driving which is a real pain. The only positives is it has a decent look and interior and is cheap to fill up but thats it. Steer clear of the 97 accord

Might as well call it a tank continued

JohnBonanno, 07/15/2009

I wrote a review when my car was running great. But the truth is if you treat this car great it will return the favor. At around 150k my ignition got loose causing the car to shut off when I'm driving. At one point I couldn't go anywhere without holding my key so the car wouldn't turn off. I haven't driven it in a long time and just started it up (holding the key in place) and it drove like a champ still. Need to replace the valve cover gasket battery and the alternator maybe a tune up also. But that is it - the best purchase I have ever made. The window motors are horrible but that's it. Like I said you cannot break these things even if you try. Buy this car you won't be disappointed.

Best Used Car

owlflfurry, 09/09/2010

My 97' Honda has been a pretty good car. I've had it for 4 years and it now has 150,000 miles. Right at 147,000 miles the A/C stopped blowing cold air. $500 to fix! The other day my door handle on the inside just broke off. The paint on every 97' Honda seems to rust off or something. It looks ugly. I've had to replace the alternator, get a major tune-up, and I had an issue for a couple of years with the computer. It would stall out while driving all the time, just randomly. I had the Honda dealership fix that issue though which was like a $500 issue. My check engine like came on the other day too. There are a lot of repairs needed, but it's old...has a lot of miles and has been a good car

Don't buy a Honda Accord

Beatrice57, 10/30/2002

What a horrible, horrible car - in the shop, and on the side of the road wayyyy too many times. Ignition switch gone (replaced under recall after being stranded) electrical problems galore, power windows don't work, etc. Honda's are supposed to be reliable - well you can't prove it by me.

Decent car

Ryan, 10/30/2006

The accord is overall a decent car, but I think there are better choices for the money. Yes, it's a Honda. The engine will run for 250k miles. But that's only if you maintain it properly (not everyone does) and maintaining a Honda is rather expensive. If you buy a Honda with 100k miles on it, be prepared to spend another $1-2k on it right away to keep it going. It will need timing belt, water pump, and suspension replacements. I think people have misconceptions about what Hondas are. They're not above normal wear and tear. Beyond this, any Honda built before 1998 has terrible structural rigidity so expect a lot of flex and rattling. Interior doesn't hold up all that well either.

Reliable!!!

mofisto, 04/17/2002

So far I've only had to do routine maintenance. Everything seems to be holding up pretty good.

Can't beat the Honda Engine

Dwayne N., 06/20/2009

I'm so in love with my Honda Accord, I've been driving it for 2 years since 2007 that I bought at 106000, now it's only 126000. Never any engine problem before, only once the check light appeared (Sparkplugs replacement). I'm pretty sure that my accord will last at least 10 more years even if I would try to break it. The only problem with it for now is the AC, it blows no cool air :( I don't know what is exactly wrong with it. Hopefully I get it done soon.

Not as good as I expected

handbook, 09/12/2004

I bought the car because of the reputation for reliability, but ended up disappointed. The biggest problem is slow power windows that sometimes stop completely in cold weather. No one has ever been able to fix them. I've also had a couple of leaks. In hindsight, I would have bought a car that was more fun to drive instead of this boring sedan.

the accord

sonelon, 12/19/2006

its a pretty good car overall, but it doesn't drive smoothly and isn't comfy

been a nice ride still is a nice ride

steve moore, 04/30/2016
LX V6 4dr Sedan

am/FM/cassette factory system still works great!!! a couple of shopping cart dings. still has factory hub caps!!!

Good Car but expensive repairs

Dockter, 05/30/2008

I purchased this car in 2000 with 74,000 miles. I now have 187,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with the engine. My complaints are slow rolling windows, suspension has been replaced twice, A/C doesn't work even when it was working and now that it's 11 yrs old the radiator, engine mount and cam seal for timing belt and power steering are all leaking or broken and need to be repaired to the tune of $2,000.00. I just put in $1500 in new locks, actuators, tires and suspension. It's not worth it to me to pay that much since I will only get around $3,000.00 for the car...maybe less. So time for a new one. I'm bummed because the engine rocked and it was a comfy ride.

Best Car Ever! 97' 2 dr se

Rob Elliott, 07/25/2008

Bought it w/18 miles on it in dec. 96'. It now has 215,000. Zero problems. Only 15 oil changes in 11 years. One new battery & a few tires. Still looks & drives like new. Solid car. Have gotten my money out of it. Still gets over 400 miles on a full tank that holds 13 gallons. I've opened the hood twice. Once when I bought it and again last year when I put a new battery in it. Priceless.

Might as well call it a tank

JohnBonanno, 08/05/2008

I will tell you how great this car is through experience. I bought the car with around 85,000 on it and it ran like a track star. And this was my first car so I was driving it like Dale Earnhardt. I had to replace the radiator (big deal hah) other than that my car is crazy. I think they put armor on the body of accords or something 1) ran over the side of a 2005 Toyota Corrola. Yes I ran the thing over snapping the Toyota's whole axle bent the rim (pretty much destroyed the whole front side of her car) my passenger side fender was dented and I drove away. 2) a brand new sts cut me off and I rear ended her at about 40. Small dent in the bumper the caddie's bumper was destroyed. Trust me buy this car

my 90 accord was a much better car

leslie2, 04/18/2002

air conditioning system never worked correctly; after 5 years the dealership finally admitted it and fixed it; handles well on and off the highway my 90 EX was just a better car to drive I did hate those automatic seat belts and that is the only reason I sold it; my son is still driving the '90 with 160000 miles

Still Running & Looking Great

Chris, 09/03/2008

I bought my Accord in January of 2004 at 90,000 miles. It still runs great thanks in part of regular repairs that it has needed and the simple fact that it's a Honda. I am planing on buying a new Accord this spring so I will miss this car a lot when I trade it in.

Great car

sara, 09/12/2008

I got my Honda for my 16th birthday. My Dad has bought it brand new, and passed it on to me. I've put over 100K on it in the past 3 years, and other than needing some minor repairs that you can expect with any 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Unfortunately, I flipped it last week and it's not repairable (at least not for way more than the $3,000 it's worth now) - I wish I could afford a new accord, but as a college student I definitely can't. Great car to give a new driver - it's sporty, had great mpg, is reliable, and holds up great in a crash - I flipped going 70 on the highway and walked away with nothing more than some bruises. Great car

Excellent car

Rajesh, 04/25/2002

Its a value for money car, very reliable

Love my 97

Jason, 10/23/2008

I bought this car used 1 1/2 years old w/ 26k miles. The car now has 264,000 miles and mostly minor fixes due to mileage and age (new radiator in 06), fluid changes, and 1 timing belt so far, plugs/wires etc.. nothing out of the ordinary. I still drive this car 100 miles per day even though I have another 07 Accord and a 03 CR-V all of which have been awesome cars. Easily the best car(s) I've ever owned. Even after all this time its very comfortable and quiet. I am going to run this car till it dies!

This is one reliable vehicle

MickC, 05/07/2002

This is the second Accord I have owned. The first was a '84 that I owned for 14 years; both vehicles have performed flawlessly. I have only spent money on maintenance and tinted windows. After 4 years I still haven't even bought new tires or replaced brake pads! I dropped in a K&N filter a couple of years ago and I get 27mpg/400 miles per tank city driving. I have waxed it one time recently and my neighbors told me that they were jealous.

Great car - Honda's last forever

Accord Fan, 03/29/2009

Great all around car: good handling, comfortable for me at 6'2", quiet, no squeaks or rattles in a 12 year old car with 145k miles!, good mpg especially with the 5 spd, parts are cheap and plentiful - new kits for all front joints / tie rod ends for $100 on eBay.

1997 Honda Accord EX sedan

Byron, 05/28/2002

Car has been very dependable. No major problems. We have had 5 Honda's now and would certainly consider another. Cars look stylish for years and now that Honda has come out with custom wheels, you can personalize to your own style and personality.

Sacrificing performance for reliability

REL, 05/28/2002

As most Honda owners will agree, the Accord is about as close to "bulletproof" as it gets. Mine currently has a bit over 60,000 miles and all I have had to do is change out the original set of tires. What the car lacks in performance and styling, it clearly makes up in reliability and comfort.

Ripped off but I still like it

Matthew D, 07/02/2009

I bought my 97' Accord a month before I got married. The dealer I bought it from told me it had passed all their inspections and was good to go. Right after purchase I had to replace the radiator, water pump & timing belt, belts, brake rotors and tires. Four months later I find out it has a bad piston rod and needs a new engine. Even after all this I love the car. I get a solid 32 MPG on the freeway and I love the way it drives. The seats are a little uncomfortable for long drives but other than that I'm determined to replace the engine and keep driving it.

Awesome 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th Car

tjak74, 07/09/2009

Bought car from original owner with 195,500 miles and complete service records. Hit 200,000 on July 4th. 1st owner was rear-ended in 2002, the only major repair. Car is brand-new feeling. Drives VERY smooth @ 90 MPH. I have driven it on several long trips (550 miles one-way), in hot, cold, bright, dark, dry, and wet conditions, without any problems. Averaged 30MPG @ 80-90MPH on those trips. Only need to make ONE stop because car is so comfortable and good on gas mileage. Car is very reliable and fun-to- drive. Has good around-town and passing power and great brakes. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Best Deal and VERY Reliable

rma, 06/08/2002

This car is my moms but I've prob. driven it more than she has. I have to say that this car is VERY reliable! We havent had to take it in ever since we got it...except this week the brakes started rattling but thats about it. Eventhough we spent a couple hours negotiating the price we ended up getting it at $500 over factory invoice! That was in May of 96...Honda's are the only cars we own at the moment

Running strong

yixter, 09/07/2009

Bought this car in 03 with 68k now it is 183k and still going strong, about 80% of the miles are highway and I still got 31/32mpg overall according to the car's odometer. I carefully rated this car in the listed categories and won't say anything more. I had to replace a failed starter, front cv joints, changed the exhaust system and the tires 2 times, battery and a pair of front brake pads once, that is all. I recently bought a 09 accord new instead of trade in my 97 for $1000 I decided to keep it.

This my first car and I love it

red97, 11/05/2009

I love this car, it is so fun - it drives better than a Benz. The 4 cylinder is very fast and responsive. Great gas mileage. The only problems I've had so far is the front axles had to be replaced and the starter and solenoid, that's about it. The ac stinks but I got sun roof so it's all good and the seat belts are horrible they choke you but the seats are extremely comfy. Plus the trunk is very roomy. I once got three kids, two ice chests, 3 tents, 2 adults, a million blankets etc. and food in my car. Oh and tiki torches out the sun roof.

One enjoyable car!

rageous, 06/17/2002

I've enjoyed every minute of the last five years with my 97 Accord. It's fun to drive and very reliable. Only routine maintenance has been needed in the last 80,000 miles. This is also a very easy car to customize with thousands of available accessories on the market.

51050