Used 2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

SLS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (11 reviews )

Great truck and looks good too!
By Will

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I am very happy with my ZR5 package truck that I have had for about a year now. It drives great, shifts smooth, and handles very well. As with everyone, the 4.3 has a lot of power but terrible on gas. I know people complain about the acceleration but this is a OHV designed engine so that is to be expected plus it is a truck! I love the amount of customization you can do to this thing, and it drives great on and off road. The looks are awesome, you don't see a lot of the crew cabs around so its nice to show off when everyone else drives the same boring standard trucks (tacomas, colorados, rangers) you see now. The big issue I have had so far with mine is the ABS control module since the solder points were not done very well on it, easy fix though. I do oil changes every 5k and transmission fluid and filter every 15k. Currently going on 190k miles and still starts up every time and runs like a champ.

Can’t Kill This Truck
By Richard G

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Boght the truck with over 207k, a failing trainimishon, rear end, and a massive antifreeze leak. For the pass few mouths it has got me to work and back and haven’t left me on the side of the road. Best part is when you have to repair something there is a huge after market and grate deals at salvage yards.

Poor quality
By Tim R

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had to get a new transfer case at 10,000 miles. Oil pickup tube fell into gears and ruined transfer case. Replaced air conditioner compressor at 42,000 miles. Transmission is now slipping badly. Fuel filler neck has been replaced, but still overflows when refueling. Leaf spring bushings are noisy. Would not buy again.

Looks good.

Longer warranty. 3 yrs, 36K doesn't show much confidence in the product.

I like my truck.
By Jeff

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my truck. Haven't had any major problems in 40,000 miles. The driver's seat is comfortable for long trips, but the back seat will only hold adults for short trips. The radio is good for stock. This is a good truck. It always starts easily, even in cold weather, but I'm not sure I can afford the gas.

Handles snow and rainy roads well. I love automatic headlights. The radio automatically increases/decreases volume as speed increases/decreases, so no turning up radio on the highway, or turning down when coming to a stop. The interior (dome, map) lights are plentiful and really nice.

Terrible fuel economy: 15mpg city, 20mpg highway. Wish I could turn off the headlights when parked. Secure molding on windows so molding doesn't become displaced when raising power windows. Scanning on the radio should scan all available stations, not just preset. Wipers run too long after wash.

Very unreliable truck
By St Louis Ex Owner

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just traded this piece of junk in for a Nissan pathfinder, hopefully I have better luck with the new vehicle. I don't know where to start. To begin with it was in the shop more than on the road. First it was the blower motor, then the transfer case, then the brakes (all under warranty). Finally when it was out of warranty the ball joints in the front which was $500 at 39,000 miles. Enough was enough so I am through with this money pit. Thank god. Sad thing is this was the first vehicle I really tried to baby.

The crew cab and the ZR5 package made it look nice.

Make a more reliable vehicle. This is 2003 and there is no excuse for this. I think I will be one who only buys foreign cars from now on.