2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Rethink the 8sp trans.
By Don P

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

18' GMC has the best looks, ride is good, stability in wind is amazing. I love the comfort and they made the cabin very quiet, road noise is not noticed. That said, the 8spd trans clunks, bangs 2nd to 3rd to 4th. Under throttle I hear no issues, city driving idling along, say 10 15mph, roll on and off the throttle and there are serious bangs going on, up and down. Its reminds me of a old drive line ready to spit u joints at any time, its not in the rear end(ring n pinion lash), seems to be in the tranny. I have parked the truck, sits for +-2hrs, level, on start up the rear tires jerk the truck hard, defiantly gets your attention. Does this about once every 10 15 start ups. Took to the dealer and of course they say there is nothing wrong. Do your homework, look on social media about the 8spd trans, they are a problem. Buyer beware. Such a shame, love the truck otherwise.

If you test drive it you’ll buy it. Period.
By Louis Bucci

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

6.2 accelerates like sports car pinning you to the seat. Very quiet cab. Amazing side quit ride. It is still a pick up. Hard shifting at times and not the best at handling. But smoothest pick up that I’ve been in. Cool dash and components not confusing easy to learn

SLT Premium with 6.L 8 Speed Auto
By Pm701

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I love this truck. Had the first gen 2014 with a SLE crew cab 4.3 Liter. Although I loved the truck I couldn't help that I settled on the small v6 (that they have since replaced for 2019 moving forward). Went and test drove the new 6.2 with the 8 speed trans and I fell in love! Love my truck. Had to bring it in for warranty already for bad AC compressors... but all paid for and treated right with a new loaner for the day. I'll look to keep this truck for many many years. Especially now with the new gen....boo. I can't stand the 2019s. This gen was a good one and I'm glad I got the one I wanted before they went another direction.

Worst truck I have ever owned
By Dont buy GM

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

Driving Gm for years, this truck is extremely disappointing. Transmission issues from day one and they still can not fix this awful 8 speed. Lifters on the right bank were replaced after one bent at 6k miles. This truck is nothing short of junk. If you want proof look at the resale values or just go into a Facebook forum an ask a few questions. Cant wait to get rid of this junk. 4x4 grinds, transmission bangs and clangs, and rear end failures are all things that I have dealt with. No trucks are perfect but this is not a good option. The think that I find most frustrating is that GM will not stand behind their warranty, they deem these issues as "normal" when clearly any truck guy/girl knows that its an issue. Please do your homework and a quick google search on the generation 5 GM truck 2014- current you have been warned.

SLT 6.2L 8 speed
By TXGREEK

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

2018 SLT 6.2L Crew Cab Z71 standard bed with 20” wheels. Absolutely amazing truck with awesome power and extremely comfortable. I’m getting 15+ City 22+ Hwy. Make sure to look for the big boy 6.2L engine you will not regret it!