Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

2nd GM truck
By Jonathan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started with a 99 Chevy Z71 that I drove 200k miles and beyond it's last leg so I traded it in for this GMC Crew 2WD with the 5.3 L. I was disappointed with the extended travel in the front suspension and huge turn radius. It's great on long trips for comfort, but gas mileage averages around 14 in the city and 16 on the highway. It feels real solid until you tow ANYTHING more than 500 #'s, it struggles over 55 mph with shifting a lot, due to lack of torque. The steering pops and clunks like my 99' did, the same for the rear-end chirp on start/stops. Bad design still being used from 99, that's just annoying. I like the comfort and prefer cloth over leather on long trips and in hot Texas.

Full center console with rear seat radio controls. Comfortable bucket seats, steering wheel controls. Dependable up to 160k miles for the gas version.

Reduce front end suspension travel. Lights in the steering wheel that don't fail quickly. Sound deadening on the back of the cheap plastic parts. Fiberglass tonneau from the factory and standard spray bedliner. A cable remote un-locking gas door, like an import. Power roll-down defrosting back window.

Greta truck
By Alan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

Power, fuel economy, looks, features, and interior room. Bose stereo with rear controls is a nice touch.

2005 1500 GMC Extended Cab
By Orlean

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the early tranny issue and the noise coming from my steering column, this truck has been spectacular! Thanks to a personal mechanic who was a GM mechanic, the steering column has become a non-issue. And, the dealership took GREAT care of the tranny issue. 140,000 miles into it and I STILL love this truck! I've driven it to/from CA and TX several times, in both winter and summer, and it's served me VERY well! MPG has deteriorated over the years, but that's to be expected. Started at 17MPG and now at 15! I miss that extra 2MPG!

Better fuel economy and I would've given this truck a HUGE endorsement.

watch out
By bill

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

the defective casteck heads in my 5.3 leak coolant. this causes what sounds like bad lifter. know what heads are in your 5.3 before you buy, otherwise you could wind up with truck with repairs more than its value.

seats are better than my 08 sierra

use heads that are not defective

Very Satisfied
By Pat Patterson

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

No major complaints. Overall a very well balanced truck. Roomy, comfortable, decent gas mileage. Recently traded for a 2008 model because of the rebates and incentives but if not for that this would've been a keeper.

Dual climate zones. Leather seats. Auto lights. Spray in bedliner.

More power, better mpg, a more serious sound system.