2018 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

meets our needs
By Mike

2018 GMC Canyon SLE 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Wanted a play truck that could also occasionally be put to work and robust enough to tow 6-7000 lbs. Needed space to accommodate 3 grandchildren comfortably. We researched trucks at some length. I did not fit in the Tacoma. Found the Frontier to be a bit dated. The Ridgeline had a lot to recommend it but was not robust enough for all our needs. Liked the F-150 but it was just bigger than we needed and I don't think my wife would have driven it. The three previous gm trucks we have owned have all been durable, trouble free, reliable and long lived (15-22 years and 150-250000 miles) making the Canyon a logical choice. It is comfortable, enjoyable to drive and more maneuverable than full sized models. Controls seem well thought out and the informatics are great. SLE cabin is comfortable and does not look cheap. Mileage is a pleasant surprise and the overall 21 mpg includes some towing. The v-6 is competent and the 8 speed transmission is unobtrusive and does not hunt on hills. The cylinder deactivation feature is barely apparent. Worth a look.

Fantastic Truck, 4 Cylinder diesel
By Kelly

2018 GMC Canyon Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

After 34 years in either Toyota, Lexus or Land Rover products I ventured out to GMC due to the available diesel engine (fuel economy), easier entry, better towing and incredible cabin comfort. This truck is as quiet as any Lexus I've been in and great ride comfort. I'm not into serious off-road driving anymore so the lower entry height is great. There is only 1 inch difference in ground clearance between my GMC and the Tacoma but it's definitely easier to get into for my wife when she's wearing heels. As for the turbo diesel it's performance is as good as any gas engine in it's class but add the extra torque and now I can tow up to 7600lbs but what's really amazing is averaging over 30 miles per gallon on the highway and 24 or better combined highway/city. My previous Land Rover required premium fuel so the upcharge for diesel is a wash. I figured the extra fuel economy will pay back the additional cost of the diesel engine is about 2 years. In other words this is a quiet, nice truck with great fuel economy, incredible payload all in a midsize truck package that is easier to park than full-size and draws looks wherever it goes. I definitely enjoy the better seating arrangements as the Tacoma always felt like you were sitting just above the floor even with the power seats. Technology wise this truck is way ahead of the Toyota as 4wheel disc brakes are standard on the GMC and Tacoma is still using drum brakes on the rear and no 4wheel disc brake is available.

GMC Canyon Works
By Arthur

2018 GMC Canyon Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Solid truck. Good ride. Clean Interior. I like this truck's style. The salesman misled me about hi+ offer to sell. Consequently we did not complete the sale.

TERRIBLE TRUCK DO NOT EVER BUY!!!
By Canyonsucks

2018 GMC Canyon Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have just had this truck for 2 days. And I dread every minute with it. The truck is always pulling to the right as if it was in a crash. It has a wireless phone charging port. And none of our families phones fit. The seats are terrible. Would rather be standing up. To get out is another challenge. It would be ok without the sidesteps. But these block me from getting out. Always vibrating. Engine is extremely slow, sounds terrible. I have the crew cab and I still can’t fit three people in the truck. I can barely fit a fishing box of mine. Ride quality is terrible. Would rather be driving in a Miata.

Great Truck
By Roy L Rafter

2018 GMC Canyon 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We are very happy with the truck it has everything we wanted. Looks great and getting lots of compliments on it. Beautiful Vehicle.