Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

One tough little truck!/Ranger Edge S.
By Willie Blackwell

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This nice little truck is a joy to drive, very responsive handling capabilitys,and the tow package is top shelf, It seems happy to pull a loaded tandem trailer. The truck is a 2003 Ford Ranger Super PU 4x2 Edge S 3.0 L V6 Auto., Overdrive. Everything works great, Doesn't use or leak anything, the engine and undercarriage are completely dry, Well...., it does use some gas, you can expect about 19 town and 23 hyway M.P.G. Truck looks good in and out, has some fading on top of fender flares.Milage is approaching 190,000. Very well maintained ,And if thats not enough...., It's Red!!!!!!

My 03 Ranger
By Tom Dombrowski

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

In 14 years of owning my Ranger it only let me down once, thats because the fuel pump died when I got to work. Had to have it towed to the dealer the truck was already 10 years old and built in N.J.

This is a catchy review
By Inigo Montoya

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I think Ford interviewed the wrong people when they decided to quit making the Ranger. If you don't need a full size truck the Ranger gets the job done with little fuss and muss. I've put 225,000 miles on the truck and other than needing some basic maintenance it has been a good little truck and done everything I needed of a truck. For the price it was perfect, now if I stay with Ford I have to buy an F-150 that will be more expensive to drive and maintain. Part of me wants to see if I can get 500,000 miles out of this truck instead.

Updated:
Sadly a kid decided to bend the frame on my truck and the bumper while he was at it. I barely noticed the hit but was enough to total the truck. Final mileage was 237828. I just wish I could have kept her longer but I guess it wasn't in the cards.

worth the money, gets the honeys
By Casey Strickland

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is a tough and versatile little trooper. no matter what, i know i can rely on it for whatever i need. when buying one, make sure it runs and idles well. also make sure the ball joints and control arms are in good condition (if equipped). that alone can be the reason why people talk bad about them. I will admit the are a little expensive, but when it comes to some cars you get what you pay for. Overall i have had to do a few repairs here and there, but nothing you cant do at home. I will say it is the best 4x4 i have ever owned. BUT... if you want to make it an off road vehicle you may want to opt for an older one with a solid axle. The torsion bar suspension is the worst thing ive ever seen. i have a 3'' lift on mine and it has absolutely no flex on the front end.

A lot of bang for the small truck buck!!!
By BillD

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Tremor Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 4 door super cab tremor edition edge ranger since it was new. The truck rides like a Cadillac on the highway and it ain't so bad on a dirt road. I've owned S10s with the Vortec 4.3 litre V6 and I swear I don't see a lot of difference in my Rangers 3.0 power plant. The truck will pull a heavier load that the S10s ever thought of. The sport side is just plain sexy to look at and the alloy wheels that came on the truck are good enough that I've never thought about custom wheels for this truck. It hauls what I need it to in the back bed including all my camping gear and 4 Wheeler. I've pulled heavy loads up hills through crappy roads ect and it does a wonderful job. I just rolled 202,000 on the odometer and the only thing I've done to this truck is change the oil, plugs and wires and air filters. It's a little beast of a truck and if you take care of it it'll take care of you. I live in Georgia and I wouldn't be afraid to fire her up and drive to Vegas because I know she will get me home. The only complaint I have is the jump seats in the back. Forget hauling 4 grown ups in the cab but two adults ride in comfort. I!m 6'3" and it fits me well. I highly recommend this truck as a definite buy if you find a good used one. They last forever.