Used 2004 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 482 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Oregon Stang
By Stephen Moore

2004 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive, it gets lots of attention. I believe this model generation will prove to be an investment well made.

2004 Ford Screaming Mustang Convertible
By R.Kelsesky

2004 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm a 49 year young man who used to be a Pontiac Trans am man but once I drove this baby I was hooked! I love my Mustang. I have a 2004 40th anniversary edition that I'm restoring to look like she was just rolled off the show room floor with some of my own classified modifications that will put the GT to shame LOL

Great fun, great value!
By Glenn

2004 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

You can drive the 1999-2004 Mustang V6 convertible year-round in most parts of the country. Mine has been my daily driver since 2007, driven in Ohio and Tennessee. The heater works great in the winter - no different than in any other car. And as soon as the temps start to climb in the spring, down goes the top! It is low to the ground, so getting in and out of the driver's seat definitely isn't for people with stiff backs. Maintenance is pretty easy - the engine compartment is big enough to reach all of the spark plugs. In over 100,000 miles I've only replaced the clutch once (3.9 liter engine with T5 tranny), and the top once (roughly $1000).

Reliable car
By bull_gator

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Only a few problems have shown up in 107K miles. I have replaced the fuel pump, alternator, battery, tires, and suspension. Of those, only the fuel pump was unexpected. The rest are things you expect to replace.

144K mile update. Car still running strong. Since the last review, I have gone through another battery and tires.

Favorite Car I've Owned
By automaniac9

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 104,000 miles on it, and wow, good car for the money. It might seem like thats high mileage, but I bought it with an extended warrenty. I bought it with many performance upgrades, and I have to say it helps this car with its performance and personality. I drove a stock 01 GT, and it felt a bit boring. The interior leaves something to be desired, but it's simple and has no extra fluff you don't need. All in all, it is a good all rounder that now a days is a good used alternantive to a brand new one.

The power is great for a powertrain combo that essentially is from 1999. The live rear axle is ancient by engineering points, but it keeps the car fun to drive and is more durable than an independant set up. The Mach 460 sound system is a great system that provides good bass and treble. The gas mileage isn't too bad either; I get about 21 mpg between 65/35 highway/city driving, and with 3.90 rear gearing.

This car is cramped inside for people in the back. You can't fit people in the back unless they're under 5'7", and even then, it's not what I'd call comfortable. The front seats are comfortable but they are set a little too high, which makes it feel like you're riding on the car instead of in it. The Tremec 3650 5-speed could be a little easier to shift; sometimes it doesn't go into gear the way you'd want it to.