Used 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Fusion Hybrid model:

fun for a hybrid
By lou

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

this is a nice sedan. the gas milage is great and it fun to drive. it can get up and out of its way when needed. the interior material could be better, but for the price its a good deal.

Second hybrid, first Ford hybrid
By James A Hubbard

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A suitable replacement for a mid-sized 'buy-back' car.

Grand
By Harold Delassus

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Get in drive,ride in comfort & ease,strong in passing gear. MPG avg. 36-38. Paint,glass,body excellent. 16,5oo miles.

VERY HAPPY PURCHASE :)
By Bruce Whittaker

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2016 Fusion Hybrid S is only a month old, so this is really preliminary. PURCHASE: Blessed to get a "One at This Price" deal. That means choices of color and a few options were not available. Also, found out after purchase that it has ZERO tow-rating, not even for a small kayak trailer for my long kayaks. I'll have to put a roof-rack on it for that. RIDE: Quiet, comfortable, and surprisingly sporty for a family car. I accelerated hard, momentarily, to merge once, it felt strong. I have had to slam on the brakes twice, on both gravel and dry pavement to avoid deer...outstanding safe and controlled stopping. Steering in corners could be addictively fun. MILEAGE: My commute is only two miles of gravel road with a 600' descent/climb, so I get about 30 MPG near home at the 1,100 mile point. Last fill-up was 38.48 overall with some longer drives thrown in. "Indicated" mileage seemed 1 to 2 mpg over actual, but this is preliminary. FUTURE ROADS: Considering upgrading driver's rubber floor mat with Weathertech. Should I get a spare tire, or stick with the repair kit??? Then, deciding on cargo organizer and cargo mat. Roof rack for kayaks. Block heater. Aftermarket fog lights??? I need to get more used to SYNCH and why some names aren't recognized for calling. It is fun to watch your mileage in different situations and be green saving money. In my budget, this efficiency opens up more road trip opportunities, and I can't wait :)

7 month update:
Mileage: dropped significantly in the winter with warming up the car a couple minutes, using max defrost, and headlights in northeast WA for a 2 mile commute. Expected, but sad.

Driving: Front suspension and low clearance are a pain for speedbumps, potholes, or minor dips on dirt roads...I live in the boonies. My local dealer would not allow me to put stronger springs in, nor go to a larger tire for the winter without voiding the warranty...

Trunk does not open all the way automatically to facilitate loading, must be raised by hand. I will talk to dealer about this.

I am, by nature, extra critical. These are minor issues, and I still love this car!

Amazing car
By Paul

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This 2016 Fusion hybrid SE was the first car I have purchased in 16 years. My previous car, a 1998 Ford Mustang, made it to 250,000 miles before I decided to finally get a new car. (For the record, the Mustang never died, I just wanted something newer.) What a step up this Fusion Hybrid is. For one example, my Mustang had a cd player, and a tape deck from the factory. The Fusion has a cd player, and Bluetooth and satellite radio. Quite a difference! The EPA may rate this at 44 city-41 highway-42 overall, but it is not at all difficult to get much higher mpg. Many times, I have gone on trips of over 30 miles and gotten well over 50 mpg for that trip. You have to learn how to properly drive a hybrid, and the car's displays coach you along. I went on a trip of 120 miles, set the cruise control at 70 mph, and still got 46 mpg on the highway. If I take a very short trip of 2 miles, and stay in EV mode for most of it, I get 87 mpg. I drive most of the time with the eco button on, which places emphasis on fuel economy, and means the car accelerates a bit slower, and the a/c doesn't blow as hard. Still, I bought this car in mid August, when it was in the mid-90s outside, so I used the a/c and still got average mileage over 40 mpg. What prompted me to buy a hybrid? Several things. I wanted my next car to be something new for me, and this is my first hybrid. I want a car that won't suffer if I get stuck in gridlock traffic, and this car doesn't. It happily crawls along in EV mode, rarely using any gas. Finally, I like the idea of fewer of my dollars going to the Middle East. To me, this car really doesn't have a downside. Of course it gets outstanding fuel economy. But it's not gutless by any means. If you nail the throttle, it will move quickly enough to chirp the tires and push you back in your seat, and even more so if you turn off the eco button. It's not a sport sedan, of course, but at the same time, school buses won't beat you off the line, and on the highway I am able to blow past slow moving 18 wheelers effortlessly. I did consider the Fusion Energi, but that car is more expensive, and me being an apartment dweller, I have no place to plug it in at night, so I went with the standard Hybrid, which actually gets better mileage than the Energi does once the Energi is in regular hybrid mode, because the Energi is much heavier due to its larger battery. The ride is very smooth and quiet, I love the silent start, the car looks fantastic inside and out, very classy looking. I got one of the last new 2016's on the lot; in fact they already had some 2017 models there. So, the dealer didn't fight at all when I drove a bargain. I got 0% financing, plus their ad price, plus a rebate from the factory, so my brand new Fusion Hybrid cost less than some of the new 2017 2.5 liter SE's on the same lot. Is there anything I don't like? Well, the A-pillars are thicker than in my old Mustang, which means slightly less visibility. But I have seen much worse in other new cars, some of which have massive, thick A-pillars. And I do admit I miss the growling Flowmaster exhaust of my old Mustang, but using less than half the gas in the same amount of miles more than makes up for it. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and I'd definitely buy it again if I had to.

**Update** After 7 months of ownership, it's still an amazing car. I have noticed that cold weather definitely affects the fuel economy, because I have to use the heater and defroster. My average fuel economy per tank of gas dropped from over 45 mpg in the summer to just about 40 mpg in the winter. Now that we're headed back into Spring, and I can turn the heater off, the mpg average is trending up again. Still, we had a harsh winter this year, and thank goodness I had my front wheel drive Fusion. My poor old 1998 Mustang (rear wheel drive) would have been in deep trouble. The Fusion did very well in snow and ice. It's still solid, quiet, smooth, and even has a little new car smell left. No rattles or any other unwelcome surprises, and no reliability issues at all. The Fusion Hybrid will never get your heart racing like a Mustang will, but you'll be pleased with the ride and fuel savings. To sum up this car, it feels completely normal when you drive it, even with the CVT transmission. There's no jerkiness, no strange hesitating, the gas engine doesn't shake the car when it comes on, and most importantly, no lack of power when you need it. It really feels entirely normal. But when you refill the tank and see that you've averaged well over 40 mpg in everyday driving, then you'll be glad you bought it.