Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Horrible car
By zorazane

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After purchasing this car new, my father admitted shortly thereafter that it had been a mistake. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited the car and have had problem after problem since, culminating in my transmission going completely out last week at 93K miles - thankfully I was in a safe place to get over to call a tow truck. Called the dealership - over $6000 to replace the trans. Suffice it to say I am not pouring more $ into it. Even the dealership admitted they have had multiple problems. Stuck riding the bus. Shame on Ford.

Transmission and numerous problems
By cassandra1_o

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I too am having the problem with my transmission on my 2005 freestyle.
I can't find one and the parts for one are outrageously high.
just wondering with all the problems, why would ford
still sell this vehicle, knowing the safety issues that occur.

I have to say my dvd and the interior set up is my favorite

take this vehicle off the market before a serious incident happens

Bad Tranmissions
By sassybob

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like many who have commented on this site, my 2005 Freestyle
CVT transmission failed at 56, 500 mile. The dealership stated they cannot fix the transmission because Ford doesn't make parts anymore, resulting in replacing the transmission at a cost of $5800.00. Ford Corporate has washed their hands on this matter and will not accept any responsibility, so we are faced with either parking the car because we don't have $5800.00, or looking into sueing Ford under small claims action. [violative content deleted]

Nothing the vechicle is a DUD

Set fire to it

CVT stands for Crappy Vehicle Transmission
By gcolemanjr

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Please beware when buying a 2005-07 used Freestyle...learn from our mistake.

Bought the vehicle used with 38,000 miles on it. Maintained the vehicle very well and then suddenly out of nowhere, weird noise from the engine during idle in Park or Neutral. two weeks later super loud noise from engine compartment, similar to a chain being dragged across a hollow wooden chest. two weeks after that tranny completely gone. $5900-$7000 to fix or install new one. Still owe just under $7k on the car. Mileage is only 116k. unacceptable and we're walking away from it. vehicle is sitting in the garage next to sons electric power wheels Ford truck that ironically still runs after 3 years...

Love the design, In for service already
By Aarrow

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We recently purchased the freestyle from a reputable dealer.We have owned it for a month now and unfortunately it had to go to the shop numerous times right after buying it for shaking at 55-60mph, tires were cupping,rough idle and power steering pump. They put a new engine damper on it and now have had it for days saying it needs a torque converter. I understand with the miles it has it's not gonna be perfect. I'm starting to feel maybe this car should never have been put on the lot. I can say the problems put aside though I love the style and comfort of the freestyle.

Leather seats are comfortable, gas mileage is great. Easy to get in and out of, fold in floor rear seats. Entertainment system. Plenty of room for family of 5. Like the CVT transmission.

Only that I wish it weren't in to be serviced so much.