Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My little car Billy!
By Brooke Smith

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I rolled little Billy, going on 3 weeks ago. My air bags did NOT deploy. But, my only injury was my neck and knee.

Used Iowa Fleet Vehicle- horrible transmission lea
By John Mills

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used. Right from the beginning, the transaxle seeped. Replaced it twice, along with CV joint twice. Brakes, and engine run well and very zippy on the road. Gas mileage was 30+ on the highway, but 19 or so on the streets. Engine mount bolts kept breaking, or falling out. Three different mechanics said the Focus was notorious for the mount bolts breaking off. Front end requires alignment much more often than Ford recommend. Biggest grevience was trying to replace the headlight bulbs. They are squeezed in between a brace and the headlight assemblies. The only way I found was to remove the assemblies and then have a mechanic realign them. Very poorly designed.

220,000 Miles and still starts right up!
By Shadow2450

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back when i was in highschool my senior year used for a fairly good price, now since im looking into getting something else I thought I would share my experience with my focus and I want to start out by saying I loved it. I have the 5 speed manual transmission and while theres not much power under the hood its still very fun to change the gears and hear the little car go. reliability is nothing short of amazing. when I purchased the car It had close to about 80,000 miles on it. the only issue that left me stranded was an alternator that needed to be replaced at around 160,000 miles. small things such as the mass airflow sensor ar about 195,000 miles and the rear wiper motor at 215,000 miles. I live in the northeast so I have my fair share of terrible winters, but if you throw on a set of good snow tires the traction is nothing short of great! I would be on the highway on my way to work passing jeep wranglers and other AWD cars because of the confidence I had in my car. I am beyond happy with my focus and I think its nothing short of an excellent car to own.

Best value I've ever had in a car
By Benzin

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Focus ST with 168k miles, traded it in at 268k miles. Only thing to go wrong was a wheel bearing; everything else was routine wear items and preventative maintenance. Some surface rust started to show on rockers, but no where near as much as a typical car in 12 years in the rust belt. Despite all that wear I still saw 27 mpg highway. Get up and go was not bad for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, the 5 speed transmission shifted smooth and the clutch was progressive and quick. Steering was dead on and tight the life of it. Car was comfortable for my 6'2" frame even on long trips, Power windows and moon roof always worked smooth, no switches cutting out or slowness or chatters. It even had a nice stereo. I only got $500 on trade because of the mileage, but I would recommend a Focus to anyone in the market for an economy car. If I wasn't so bored of FWD I probably would never bother with anything else.

Great Car!!
By Cherry

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 11 years and I love it. I have kept up the maintenance on it and it has been a very reliable and dependable vehicle. I've had absolutely no problems with it. I expect to have it for years to come.