Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 318 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

220,000 Miles and still starts right up!
By Shadow2450

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back when i was in highschool my senior year used for a fairly good price, now since im looking into getting something else I thought I would share my experience with my focus and I want to start out by saying I loved it. I have the 5 speed manual transmission and while theres not much power under the hood its still very fun to change the gears and hear the little car go. reliability is nothing short of amazing. when I purchased the car It had close to about 80,000 miles on it. the only issue that left me stranded was an alternator that needed to be replaced at around 160,000 miles. small things such as the mass airflow sensor ar about 195,000 miles and the rear wiper motor at 215,000 miles. I live in the northeast so I have my fair share of terrible winters, but if you throw on a set of good snow tires the traction is nothing short of great! I would be on the highway on my way to work passing jeep wranglers and other AWD cars because of the confidence I had in my car. I am beyond happy with my focus and I think its nothing short of an excellent car to own.

Best value I've ever had in a car
By Benzin

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Focus ST with 168k miles, traded it in at 268k miles. Only thing to go wrong was a wheel bearing; everything else was routine wear items and preventative maintenance. Some surface rust started to show on rockers, but no where near as much as a typical car in 12 years in the rust belt. Despite all that wear I still saw 27 mpg highway. Get up and go was not bad for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, the 5 speed transmission shifted smooth and the clutch was progressive and quick. Steering was dead on and tight the life of it. Car was comfortable for my 6'2" frame even on long trips, Power windows and moon roof always worked smooth, no switches cutting out or slowness or chatters. It even had a nice stereo. I only got $500 on trade because of the mileage, but I would recommend a Focus to anyone in the market for an economy car. If I wasn't so bored of FWD I probably would never bother with anything else.

Great Car!!
By Cherry

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 11 years and I love it. I have kept up the maintenance on it and it has been a very reliable and dependable vehicle. I've had absolutely no problems with it. I expect to have it for years to come.

Great Second car
By Andrew

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the same exact car as my first car and decided to get the same one except everything manual. It was easy to learn on, cheap to own and got me where I needed to go. I would definitely recommend this as a first car. The only thing that I wish ford had done was to install a tachometer as well as keep air conditioning stock. If it had a/c I would keep it but as I drive 25k miles per year it is a needed necessity.

Ford actually got this car right
By Spencer

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Early on Ford definitely had a spotty record when it came to building reliable cars. The early Focus models were popular when they came out, but they were littered with reliability issues. 2005 included a major overhaul of the design, engine, transmission, and interior. This car was bought in 2006 with 27k miles on it. I've since racked up over 145k with minimal problems. The engine/transmission mounts failed early on, but were replaced and since have been fine. The only other major repair was the air filter. The air filter built with this car will more or less fail around 100k, and I replaced mine with a K&N intake to resolve this issue. Apart from that, everything else has been routine.