Used 1998 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

my f150
By scottie lowe

1998 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

you get your money worth

The 5.4 Blues
By Vivasantana

1998 Ford F-150 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is early in the series. It is also a $$$ mongrel. Of course it is well known for the dreaded manifolds which are a very expensive effort if you do not take it on yourself. That is a tough animal indeed. Along with absolute numerous failures, parts changes, rust and overall zero reliability. The best thing about this truck is style and excellent cabin. The most comfortable seat I have ever driven & handles well to with the KYB mono upgrades front & coil overs in rear. Still forever sorry I bought this beast, have been chasing it for 7 years now and was hoping to catch up with it but to no avail. As far as the engine goes it is a POS!

Would NEVER GIVE HER UP
By Imani

1998 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought my babe in 04, 2013, with 142000 miles, never had a truck before and I'm a 54 yr/o. Never wanted to pay the fuel costs associated with big rigs. However I bit the bullet because I simply got tired of borrowing other peoples rigs + I have a few motorcycles and always dreamed of pulling my bikes across country for various events. Nonetheless, the truck has done everything I asked of her, including traveling to South Dakota last summer without a peep. Whether it's rumbling down the expressway at 105 mph, hauling groceries or dragging a 4000 payload across the country no problem! The thing never lets me down, whether its rain, snow, sleet or heat, no problem! The only complaint(s) 3 doors? why put the door on the passenger side? WTH? ingress handle, why only one? on the passenger side? again WTH! (that interior designer should have been fired) I git the terrible gas mileage, ITS A PICKUP TRUCK! IT'S THERE TO MAKE MONEY. IF YOU WANNA CRUISE BUY A TOYOTA COROLLA!

Best vehicle I ever owned
By Steven Chilton

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Truck was very reliable and was used for personal, and business.

It just works
By BK

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

Got an XLT 4.6 rear wheel drive with the 3 doors as a hand me down from my dad and it has been good. I have had it for the last 15000 miles and it sits at 168000 on the odometer now. Works great for on road use, hauling stuff in the bed, and reliability. A testament to the quality of the drive train happened several months ago when merging onto the interstate and the accelerator stuck. I wasn't sure what was happening at the time but I flicked the gas pedal and it didn't help so I went to pop it into neutral going 80 and went to far and put it in reverse and locked the tires up for a second before putting it back in drive and turning off the engine and coasted to the shoulder. Turns out the floor mat, which has since been removed, stuck the gas pedal down and I should have messed with the pedal more before trying to put it in neutral. After getting my blood pressure to go down I started it up fearing it was done for, no problems at all! Made sure the tranny wasn't leaking for the next couple days and was surprised how well it held up for the abuse that surely put on it. This old truck is rusty, has a decent ding on the outside of the bed, and overall looks rough but it is a champ in terms of reliability. Recently it has had new rotors in the front from brake pads failing to give a screech indicating they needed replacing and has had a heater core replaced but the core components have been awesome for both of us. I am in the market for a new truck with 4x4 and a locking rear dif since I was stuck on the hill where I parked it overnight after a snow storm since the rear dif puts power to the wheel with less traction, but it has still made a true Ford believer out of me. You can bet my next truck will be an F150, dad got a used 2012 F150 after he handed this one down to me and it has been great for him too. Something is to be said about having a vehicle that can be depended on.