Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews

$773 - $1,826

Used Escort for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Can't be killed

jaxson, 07/18/2009
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is ridiculous. Got this in 11/01 used from some dude who wanted a car with cruise control. Had 56K miles on it, almost 8 years later I have 143K on it. No problems at all with this thing. Runs as smooth as it did the day i took it over. Oil is always clean, probably dont even have to get an oil change every 5k miles. I still have to replace the timing belt. The tie rods had to be occasionally replaced every now and then. But thats it. I wish this thing would die already so I can feel justifed to get a new car already!

I really love my Escort

Terry, 06/24/2016
LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Escort. I purchased my first 98 escort new and drove it to well over 300k miles. It was sadly taken out by a tractor trailer while parked, but was still running strong. I am on my second 98 escort (took me months to find one) and it's also great. Purchased it with 108k and have taken it all over the country since. Just like my first escort, this one just keeps going and going. I like dependability and economy in my vehicles and this car serves them both up with a smile.

Fantastic City Car

jhs7, 10/08/2011
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Loretta

tbone0822, 10/04/2013
SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta. We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her. Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong. The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded. All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me. We love this car. She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!

gradstudent99, 01/29/2011
LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. This car has been through snow storms, and near floods. Has never left me stranded or broken down on me. Has never had a day where it didn't start. This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had. Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car. Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc. Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

Great Car

Sandy Loam, 09/27/2010
SE 4dr Sedan

We had issues the very next day after driving it off the lot. The engine would die while driving. We took it back twice and when I demanded a free loaner while they fixed the problem, they replaced a sensor. At 30,000 miles, the transmission went and it took the Ford dealership in Sierra Vista, AZ 6 transmissions and 3 weeks to get the right one, they finally put in a Mazda transmission. AC went out, 2 dealerships could not find out why, it was never fixed.CD changer stopped working. After that, we had very little problems and we had to get rid of it after I hit a bear and totaled it out. It had well over 230,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Overall, great car & fun to drive.

awesome little car

jldude, 08/31/2006
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this car 7 months ago, haven't had a problem since, never had to replace anything, sure there are worn out mounts and all, but it's typical. Does 0-60 in 7.8! Cannot say enough good things about the fuel economy. I get 42 mpg on flat highway at 65, and 36 aggressive city mpg. Biggest complaint, the vibration and noise. Tires and/or suspension seem to amplify road noise, engine runs at 2900 rpm at 65 which can get annoying. And wheel hop when accelerating at traction limits is ridiculous. But it has a large comfortable back seat and a very inexpensive car to own. Great little car, wish Ford still made it with a Mazda suspension, Zetec engine, 6 speed and standard power EVERYTHING! Oh and yellow!

Got me around

usn_ht, 03/02/2012
SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation. Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body. Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!

mmfm, 12/24/2010
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phenomenal

Rick, 09/07/2005
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my pre-owned Escort coupe as a temporary replacement for my older car, until I could decide what I wanted. Well, I fell in love with the car right away and I've had it for five years. It has a great ride for a small car. I was especially pleased with how it runs with ease on the highway. Now, after five years, it has 90K miles and I cannot recall a single repair. I've only changed the oil on schedule, kept up with the rest of the maintenance schedule and replaced the tires. I've been very pleasantly surprised with this car. Now, with the price of gas, I really am glad that I have it. It is still one of the most efficient cars out there.

10 years and still going strong!

lori & kenzie, 06/18/2007
SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car for 10 years and we can't complain. We've never had to replace anything except for a brake, the alternator, and some tires. This car has been on 3 long road trips (about 650 miles each way with a dog) and we had no major breakdowns. The car is still running (even with over 200,000 miles on it) but we're finally going to purchase a new 2007 Elantra so we will donate it to charity. BTW: We have the bare bones model-5 speed manual, cassete player (no cd), power nothing, no spoiler, basically just a shell with an engine and some tires.

Good for 6 years only

DarthSodomus, 07/13/2009
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Not a fun to drive, but it never dies

likesoccer, 02/05/2003
LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort because it is what I could afford at that time. It had only 20K and looks almost new. I have been driving this car on daily basis for 2 years and put 30k on it. Escort is a plain, compact, low-priced seden. There is really not much fun to drive it. The engine, transmission and brake system works fine for commuting daily, but performance is mediocre. Overall it is a reliabe car and gives me great gas mileage (~28 city and ~36 highway). I have never had any problem with its mechanical quality, even after one collision and one weather disaster. I changes the oil regularly at local Ford dealership. A great car for daily life!

Good car for young drivers

cpa0217, 09/25/2006
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

A sleeper

ford escort wagon, 05/27/2010
SE 4dr Wagon

Bought Ford wagon 2002 used with 48,000k miles drove it to 155,200k doing courier deliveries gave it to my daughter she drove it for 3 years, then she gave it to grand daughter for college later she gave it to younger sister then the care was sold in 2008 with 243,000, this car is still running only routine maintenance tires brakes timing belts tune ups

not gooood

LikesALittleMonster, 03/16/2002
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

man i got a 98 with 50k and all ready MAIN Body Frame rusting (inside under Fenders) engine loud as hell, drive is horroble, inside look - looks like from a STONE AGE when ppl live in caves, seat are SUPER UNCONFTEBLE my back hurts from 10 min drive in em, its got a nice out side look ill give a + to that and the rest is horoble a sport car with 130 horse and inside looks like crap

1998 ZX2 Escort

87irocZ28camaro, 09/14/2008
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

I love this car

chris, 11/06/2008
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

1998 Ford Escort

1998 Ford Escort, 03/28/2009
SE 4dr Sedan

Very Reliable vehicle. Great gas mileage 40 HWY miles. This vehicle was subjected to a MN winter- 30 days in a row of zero degrees. The car started EVERY morning without a problem. Vehicle is just now starting to show a little rust. Dependable, great gas mileage. feels solid when driving during a MN winter...

cabin car

Jerry, 08/06/2009
SE 4dr Wagon

Purchased 5 years ago at 29000 miles. It had been dealer maintained, driven as second car, never in salt, paid $3600. I have alloy wheels (I had on a Mazda)and hi performance tires. We drive summers only as our (2 people) only car during that time. Now with 86000 miles replacement tires and front brake pad only. Nothing has failed. It is a great car for local use. Mileage with automatic, driven in a spirited manner is 30mpg locally, 33-4 at 73mph using cruise. On extended interstate trips it is acceptably comfortable, shifts out of lockup on hills when using cruise. Very reliable, economical utilitarian vehicle. Nowhere as comfortable, peppy, sporty handling as our 2004 Mazda 3.

This car won't die

kennedys, 01/25/2010
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

This car is solid

Heathro21, 02/26/2010
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

She is at 109,000 kms - just change the oil every 3K kms - only have had to change out the tie rods - that is it. I was going to buy a new car, but I don't have any need to. Great little car.

Satisfied Customer

mto, 07/08/2002
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Have had this vehicle almost a year now. Very satisfied with performance and gas mileage. I avg. about 32 mpg driving a mixture of about 70% interstate and 30% city. Some interior improvements would make life easier (see "Suggested Improvements").

zx2

mike, 09/17/2010
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Great Car for the money

langevette, 11/11/2002
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for college transportation. and it is great! I now have over 72000 and still runs great. I bought it with trans. problems and fought the dealer till he rebuilt if for free. ($1500 worth) Gas milage in the mid 30s, but I drive hard.

Sensible Car

squad57, 08/20/2003
SE 4dr Sedan

This is the first new car that I have ever bought and it was a great investment. I had it paid off in 4 years which was great. I have never had anything major go wrong with the Escort and it rides smoothly. I get great gas mileage down the highways.

Best first car ever...

Jldude, 07/29/2006
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 months ago, and have put on 10000 miles since. Have never had to replace anything yet. I use synthetic racing oil and the engine is just as good as any import. My biggest praise of the car is its mpg. I get a hair over 40 on the highway. I've never gotten below 35 mpg. Also the engine is very fun at higher speed with the 5 speed. The biggest complaint that I have with the car is the noise. The tire noise is actually much louder than the engine noise on the highway. It is a very rough engine when it's idling at a drive through. If Ford still built these with a higher overdrive and a better interior, it would dominate.

1998 Ford Escort Sedan

Christina Williams, 05/10/2003
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Reliable. Good gas mileage. Dependable. Great trunk space.

One of the better Fords

Bob315, 05/26/2003
SE 4dr Sedan

Very fuel efficient and reliable - almost 5 years old and no mechancial problems - far superior to its replacement the Ford Focus

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great

Andrew, 03/28/2008
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

167,000 miles and still going strong!

EHWRYN, 06/08/2009
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with around 70k miles on it and so far in the past 5 years only have had 1 major break-down ( pullies for the serpentine belt broke)since this is a non-interference engine - no engine damage. Other than that I have had very little trouble (alternator went out and a PC valve - around 120k miles). It is very reliable and starts every time! For a 11 yr old car, it still has power and is fun to drive. The engine has never overheated, even when charging up a hill with the A/C on full blast while it is over 100 degrees outside. I never worry when I have to drive long distances - And a mechanic told me it was a "throw-away car not built to last".

Horrible Car

Will, 02/25/2010
LX 4dr Sedan

This car is the most "Gutless" piece of machinery I have ever encountered. My dog can accelerate faster than this car. We have been stricken with repair after repair. Now the entire exhaust system is shot and needs replacement.

It Could Be Worse (but not much)

Justin, 08/07/2008
SE 4dr Sedan

Do not get this car if you enjoy driving or like cars even a little bit. You'll be dissapointed with the performance, handling and just about everything. Fuel economy is great as long as you don't touch the gas and don't look at the A/C. I don't think the designers even knew what fun-to-drive meant. Interior is basic. Not even a tach or cd player. If you stare at the exterior long enough it starts to look alright. It's only broken down on me once because of a bad alternator but there are a few parts that have needed replacing in the two years I've had it. (Motor mounts twice and A/C.) The trunk leaks on the right too. Summary: If you're old or don't like cars, the Escort is for you.

AWESOME ZX2

zx2racer, 04/05/2002
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have a ZX2 that has 60+k and have no problems with it. This car has power, looks,& it's made in the great U.S.A. I would tell any of my friends to go out and buy a ZX2.

Wagon's Ho !

Phranq, 04/08/2002
SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a used '98 SE Wagon with ~25K miles. Overall I am very satisfied with the performance and reliability of the wagon so far. The extra cargo area and roof rack have come in handy when hauling stuff and taking a short trip. Great Gas mileage (35+ on freeway with automatic trans.) and the controls are logically placed. Great Used car for the $ and features.

hauling Goods & Dogs

SEwagon, 04/16/2002
SE 4dr Wagon

Great in town -peppy drive if you stay in torque range (3750 & up)--easy lane changes, great visibility, intr. noise low. seat best in near upright. Yoko Avid Touring tires are a perfect compliment to this wagon! Frim, stable, grip, and corner. Wagon will oversteer if you don't go spritely into the corner--waking up stabliz'n rear assembly. Ford means 80lbs in the boot! Heavy loads off the axle are nerve racking. Drop the seat --pull it out! Smart pack can put 625lbs of goods in; predictable ride follows. Very Utilitarian w/smart looks--Ford really did a nice exit w/the escort wagon!

My First Car

Dre, 09/07/2008
LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

Original satisfied owner.

Joe, 12/04/2008
SE 4dr Wagon

98 SE Wagon. This has been a good economical vehicle. Simple interior design. 24 to 34 mpg. Scheduled maintenance routines were followed for normal usage. Fair to good handling in moderate snow conditions. Final assembly, U.S.A. (I purposely avoided the non-U.S.A. assemblies). Original tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, lasted 70K. OEM battery, 8 yrs. Uncomfortable seating on long drives.

Sweetness!

K, 05/09/2002
LX 4dr Sedan

Its Cool. I turbo'd it so it runs like 267 Horsepower now. I put racing parts on it. It runs like a 12-13 second 1/4. Probably Closer to 12

Cheap, affordable, and great

Nambow, 01/01/2009
SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car after it had been sitting for 1-2 yrs. I had to replace the tires and tie rods. It drives good, and is a manual. I average anywhere from 31-35mpg. My car has 119k and shows no sign of giving up.

What a good little car

redgirl, 12/31/2008
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

Excellent Small Wagon

senior citizen, 02/10/2009
SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new for my late wife. I've used it as an around-town car since she died. It's been a great small wagon for that purpose. Very dependable, good quality, minimal repairs, great gas mileage, still looks good and drives well. (I keep it garaged and regularly serviced at the Ford dealer.) I expect to keep it until I die or wreck it.

GREAT

tink, 03/08/2009
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used 3 years ago i had to do very little mechanical work the major thing that went wrong was the timing jumped i am getting ready to buy a 2nd ford escort if that tells ya how much i loved this car my son(teenager) drives the one i bought 3 years ago and loves it i would reccommend this car it very realiable and trustworthy

This pony won't quit

Dennis, 05/27/2009
SE 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles after the first owner's 206,000 miles. The engine still runs perfectly with surprising mileage --30-32 mpg in my daily 45 mile commute through and around Detroit and up to 40 mpg in slower highway driving. The body has not a squeak or rattle. Snow traction is great. I've driven through a foot of snow without any problem other than ice getting jammed in the suspension. The AC failed last year; estimates were for more than I paid for the car so I am living with that. I replaced rear struts at about 230,000 miles. Looking ahead, I see only months left on the clutch and 3rd gear is down to a nub so I have to decide soon whether to see if I can get another 200k.

1998 ZX 2 cool coupe

Mike, 06/10/2009
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 91K it now has 170K just replaced timming belt, water pump, regular belts and pulleys, still has original clutch (5 speed) and some of the vacume lines are starting to crack but it is a very reliable car . Parts are cheap and avalible. down fall is it is a very hard car to work on as it is very tight in the engine compartment. All above work was done as preventive maintenace not corrective. This car also wears tires a little funny and somtimes you will get a woomp woomp woomp from the under carrage as the tires wear though that phase of wear I guess. Anyway I wish more companies made cars like this they would be in less trouble now.

98 zx2

ritchmonty, 06/09/2002
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

runs great and gets 35 mpg. Everything under hood is very well designed.

Great little car

Dan, 06/12/2010
SE 4dr Sedan

Brought car with 96,000 mi and have 128,000 now. Only part replaced was a inner tie rod and with labor less then $100 No rust on the car after 2 northeast winters. AC still blowing cold and never serviced.

Great little wagon

Rod, 06/27/2010
SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998. As of June 2011, it has 193,000 miles on it. Only failing were the rear springs at 150K in 2005. Regular maintenance and regular (3K interval) oil changes. Starting to show it's age (some rust), but still gets 29-32 mpg to/from work in mixed highway city driving.

Ruby the racecort

angel_marie03, 08/05/2002
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

It is a nice little car. Very fast for a V4. I have only had it for a little bit but it seems to be pretty realiable.

Buyer Beware

Mrs. Den, 08/08/2002
ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This cute, sporty car has been awesome...until now! Only four years old and both the transmission AND engine have gone belly up in less than 40,000 miles...NOT GOOD! More trouble and money than it's worth ~ gave up and traded it in for a Toyota!!!

51050