Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews

Used Escort for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...25

Pros
Cons

10 years and still going strong!

lori & kenzie, 06/18/2007
SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car for 10 years and we can't complain. We've never had to replace anything except for a brake, the alternator, and some tires. This car has been on 3 long road trips (about 650 miles each way with a dog) and we had no major breakdowns. The car is still running (even with over 200,000 miles on it) but we're finally going to purchase a new 2007 Elantra so we will donate it to charity. BTW: We have the bare bones model-5 speed manual, cassete player (no cd), power nothing, no spoiler, basically just a shell with an engine and some tires.

Good for 6 years only

DarthSodomus, 07/13/2009
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Not a fun to drive, but it never dies

likesoccer, 02/05/2003
LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort because it is what I could afford at that time. It had only 20K and looks almost new. I have been driving this car on daily basis for 2 years and put 30k on it. Escort is a plain, compact, low-priced seden. There is really not much fun to drive it. The engine, transmission and brake system works fine for commuting daily, but performance is mediocre. Overall it is a reliabe car and gives me great gas mileage (~28 city and ~36 highway). I have never had any problem with its mechanical quality, even after one collision and one weather disaster. I changes the oil regularly at local Ford dealership. A great car for daily life!

Good car for young drivers

cpa0217, 09/25/2006
ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

A sleeper

ford escort wagon, 05/27/2010
SE 4dr Wagon

Bought Ford wagon 2002 used with 48,000k miles drove it to 155,200k doing courier deliveries gave it to my daughter she drove it for 3 years, then she gave it to grand daughter for college later she gave it to younger sister then the care was sold in 2008 with 243,000, this car is still running only routine maintenance tires brakes timing belts tune ups

12345...25