Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

97 dodge 1500
By dodge owner

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab LB

318 engine (5.2) is a good engine, and most of the hardware is fine,, the ride is definitely truck, and gas mileage is foot controlled,a/c was good, heater so,so,headlights were not that good, otherwise, it was a good truck,

Best, Most Dependable Truck I have Ever Owned!
By Darren

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1997 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 in the fall of 1996. It currently has 224,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. The only things I have ever had to repair/replace is the usual stuff...alternator, fan belt, u-joints, thermostat, etc... in addition to the routine maintenance and servicing. I have had to do no major engine or transmission work, although I did lose my 4 wheel drive and cruise control due to the plastic vacuum lines eventually rotting and cracking. Got the 4 wheel drive working again, but still no cruise control which I'm ok with since I rarely ever used it anyway. The truck has never stranded me or failed to start. Ever. Performance wise, its not the quickest off the line in terms of raw power but its no slouch either. And it tows whatever I need with effortless ease. Roomy and comfortable with excellent visibility and responsive steering. I don't know if its because I own a short bed or because its a solid axle or whatever, but the turn radius on this truck is unbelievably short. This truck "corners like its on rails", as they say. The ONLY negatives I can say about this truck...the cup holders are terrible!

Never get stranded again
By Jake Ramey

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I love my Ram. I've always heard people complain of death wobble or trans problems and I've honestly not had any of those. Truck has 327k miles on it. She just keeps on trucking. The seats are the most comfortable ones I've ever had the pleasure of sitting on. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but it's a truck.

Exelent Truck
By damando

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1997 and have had it ever since. Very dependable , Pulls a bayliner dual axle boat trailer with no problems. Have done most of repairs myself. After 14 yrs I only have to drop the tranny and rebuild it. I am very proud of this truck and if I can afford it I will buy another.

Comfortable ride ! Brush guard, running boards

For some reason I have had to replace my right front 4x4 u-joint 3x go figure-? Its now 2010 and I just removed the front so its a 2x4 now.

The Turd
By fishrman

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This lemon is currently in the weeds behind our shed. (Waiting for scrap value to go up). We replaced the transmission twice, plus spent about 6000 on misc repairs and countless breakdowns in the two years it was actually on the road. It was purchased used, so its condition could have been due to prior mistreatment. However, I will NEVER buy a Dodge again. Ever. What a money pit.