Used 2015 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Durango for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Durango Suprise

warren, 06/03/2016
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Great SUV. Really good fuel economy, nice ride, Quiet, Easy to get in and out of. Had a Tahoe and I feel more in control with the Durango although a bit smaller a great alternative. I like the road handling. For a senior, this vehicle will do all that I want and then some. Lots of room for a big guy. Would buy again! Well I liked the Durango so much, 6 months after purchase I traded it for a Citadel model with even more features and am even happier. The fuel economy just keeps getting better (25 mpg highway) and the accident avoidance feature and adaptive cruise control are the best of all. This is a keeper!!!

Best All-Round 3-Row SUV in the world!

Glenn Harper, 08/10/2015
R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Firstly, I'm a 'car guy'. Before I buy a car, I do three things: research, research, and research! This past spring I had a need to reduce our fleet from 3 to 2 vehicles (getting rid of an old SUV and my "toy" hot rod for a NEW SUV) so I began researching in earnest. I wanted a 3-row, mid-size SUV with a V8 & 4WD that could give me decent mileage, carry cargo with ease and up to 6 people in comfort. Also, since I was getting rid of my hot rod, I wanted at least SOME semblance or sportiness and power as well as a nice looking vehicle that would always make me turn back for a last look as I'm walking in from a parking lot. My old SUV and hot rod were both Dodges so I specifically ignored the Durango at first, fearing my pro-MOPAR bias would color my judgement. I made my list of requirements and started looking. To make a long story short, I researched Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, Audi, BMW and, yes, even Mercedes. The Japanese don't offer V8s (except for the Nissan Armada which was otherwise terrible), the Europeans had contenders...but only if I wanted to spend $15-$50k more than I'd planned, and the other American makers only had vehicles that met my requirements if I went up to FULL size SUVs and even then their mass make them very slow and unsporty. So I finally came back to look at the Durango. It checked off EVERY item on my list except for price - it was about $5,000 more than I was wanting to spend, but after going for a test drive, I see where that $5k went. The Durango is darn near in the luxury SUV class with all the amazing bells & whistles as well as top notch safety features. The interior is AMAZING and not something I would ever have thought Dodge could produce. Bottom line: I went out and ordered my Durango R/T immediately. I took delivery back in May and, after 3000+ miles, it has been nothing short of a dream of a vehicle and pure joy to drive.

Absolutely love the Durango

jimsD, 01/23/2016
Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was looking at an Explorer when I stumbled on reviews for the Durango. I was looking for range, gas mileage, a decent towing capacity and comfort on long trips. I didn't need the extra towing capacity of the V8. I now own a Citadel with the Pentastar V6 engine and absolutely love this thing. The HIGHS: At 290 HP, the V6 feels very strong and I find it accelerates easily into freeway traffic. With a 24.5 gallon tank, I have close to 600 miles in range. I travel frequently where there are long stretches between gas stations and the extra 100-150 miles is reassuring. In city driving, with lots of stop and go, I am getting 18-20mpg with ECO mode off and 19-20 with it on, 24-26 mpg on the highway. Slightly narrower than the Explorer, so I find it very easy to park, maneuver and get it into the garage. I find the interior to be very spacious even for a large person. I also tow trailers, so the 6200lb rating beats anything out there, a V8 tows more. Cudos on the rotary shift knob. I thought I would not like this, but I have found it to be smart and intuitive - after two drives I wasn't even thinking about it. The eight speed trans shifts almost imperceptibly but has a strange shift pattern in eco mode. It delays upshifts when cold which causes some concern and delays downshifts when accelerating. I turn it off and get about 1 mpg less mileage in town but no difference on the highway. I use the paddle shifters (these are die cast, not cheap plastic) for hill work and they work very well. The interior leather is luxurious and flawless, but the color choice is limited. The seats are firm and supportive, which I find extremely comfortable but can be a bit hard on trips longer than 4 hours. The Uconnect system is frankly the smartest, easiest, most intuitive system on the market. You can customize a whole litany of things from the screen including behavior of lights, whether the horn chirps when you lock doors, whether mirrors rotate down in reverse, speed warnings, etc and the best news is that you don't need a masters degree to do it. There is also an info center on the cluster that you can select what you want displayed. The downside is the NAV system has virtually no updates available. LOWS: 1. The steering ratio requires more turns at low speed so it takes more turns of the wheel to maneuver in parking garages. 2. The pedals are not adjustable, which makes it a little more difficult to get the driving position just right. 3. There is a glitch in the audio system (which I believe FCA is working on) where the equalizer settings will change at different volume levels. 4. Cargo Volume is less than other brands and the Third row is not really suitable for adults on long trips. 5. Paint quality isn't first class - there are minor variations in color if looked at closely and orange peel that other makes do better on for this class of vehicle. 6. Lack of support on the NAV system.

Love my 2015 Durango

Mark, 10/20/2015
SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

In my 42 years I have owned more cars than most. I have had many Chrysler/dodge products with a mix of Ford, Volvo, and Honda products. I love my Durango SXT with the sport appearance package! I'm so tired of hearing from foreign car owners about how American cars are junk and foreign cars are the greatest. This is what I've learned. I could have gotten a Toyota or Honda, comparable to my 2015 Durango for a minimum of 10-12k more than what I purchased mine brand spanking new. If you do the maintenance that is absolutely required of you whether it's foreign or domestic, cars now are build to last. I also switched to Mobile 1 synthentic oil (silver) My SXT is a "base" car, but base today in 2015 is nothing like a base car of just 5 years ago. It has way more toys that my 2011 Ford 150 XLT Crew Cab, which I also love. I love how it drives, how it looks, and it's perfect for a family. We tried a more gas efficient, small car for a year and a half and it was plain miserable with 3 young, but growing boys. I can't say enough about this SUV and I would purchase another. My plan is to keep this one for a very long time. I've had Chrysler products through 110k miles with NO major issues---Pacifica, Dakota, Plymouth Breeze, and LaBaron GTC. The only one I considered junk was my 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT---Junk!

Refined SUV that is better than it's name

MikefromWisconsin, 09/15/2015
Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

So far after about 6 months, the only complaint I have is its called a Durango, that's it. Other vehicles we own/have owned include Lexus, Toyota, and Audi. Honestly, we went into this SUV search thinking we wanted a Highlander, Lexus GX, or GMC Acadia Denali. What came out of over a year of research and test drives? There is a reason why Fiat was considering making this a Jeep and removing the Dodge badge, because, in the higher trims, this is a high-class vehicle. In the end, with the Citadel trim, and everything, black/tan interior, I just love it, love the curves, love the high-end but simple interior, the easiest to use Nav/Ent system on the market, plenty of cargo room, drives smooth, just love it. I had a guy yesterday walking in the sailing yacht club parking lot who saw me driving by slowly from the front/side ask me if that was the new Mercedes, not kidding. It really reminds me of a smooth Lexus to be honest. Our second choice was probably the Acadia Denali, with the two-tone interior which was our favorite, it seems several people we know with the Lamba line vehicles have had major repairs, didn't have the power/pull the Durango did, had less room (I'm 6'3" 250lbs, so this is important), and the nav/ent system was complicated, at best. The only drawback? Well, it says Dodge on the car. Honestly, that is what held us back. Had it been a Jeep, Toyota, Lexus....it would have been easier. Durango just doesn't align with how refined this vehicle is, especially in the upper trims. Originally, we thought we wanted the hemi, but I found the V6 to be just as fast at acceleration, but probably less torque, so if you pull trailers a lot, go with the hemi, but if you are like me, and only do it 3 times a year ,the V6 is more than adequate.

Can't believe I bought a Dodge either

Vivien Baty, 10/20/2015
Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was looking at BMW, Mercades, Lexus!! Saw a used Dodge Durango Citadel and didn't stop until I was driving one!! Best decision I ever made! I love it!!!

After owning 38 cars I LOVE this one.

Rebecca, 09/23/2015
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Ignore the name and drive the car. I have owned a large number of cars over the years. My last was a GMC Envoy. I set out to buy another GMC or possibly a 2016 Pilot but after two weeks of test driving I couldn't find anything I liked better than my old Envoy. A Facebook friend suggested a Dodge Durango. I know they make nice trucks but I had no interest in driving a Dodge. So I sent my husband to drive it while I went wine tasting with my friends. When I got home my husband said I "Had to drive it, I would love it" I reluctantly took it on a test drive and within a mile down the road I knew I wanted it. It turns on a dime, so nice to get it into a parking space, shifts smooth as glass, sets you back against the seat a bit when you accelerate, heated seats first and second row, dual climate control passenger and rear, touch screen controls, dual power seats, third row seat, sleek, just wow, nothing but compliments and "is that a Dodge"? Every time someone sees it. ha ha. The remote start is fabulous, and I love the key fob. I can't forget my purse or the car won't start because I keep the key in there... lol. Starting it remotely with my phone hasn't worked so far but I hear that the program is not compatible with I phones. Getting 21 mpg even with my lead foot. I am a Realtor and Dodge offered Realtor rebates. Plenty of room for my signs and family with the third row seat. LOVE love Love, this rig. (We went with a Limited) model. *update. 14 months later. Still like the rig but the transmission feels loose or sloppy. When I take my foot off the gas and then back on it kind of jerks or clunks.

Love It!

Marcus, 02/23/2017
SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased this vehicle new for my business which involves mostly highway miles. The Durango is amazingly quiet (like my Lexus) and seems extremely well engineered. I average 29 mpg when warm and 24 when in winter conditions on the highway. It tows my 18 foot Lund and snowmobiles well and feels confident during slick road conditions. The 8 speed auto is very smooth. The 8 inch display is great, audio very good, backup camera and sensors spot on. Great looking vehicle that I receive many compliments on. I am very impressed and would highly recommend. Update: Now have nearly 60,000 miles on the Durango. LOVE IT! I have had no issues with the vehicle. Still getting great mileage for a larger AWD. Recently took a 300 mile trip, all highway, averaged 29.9 MPG. Occasionally use to tow my 18 foot boat. Pulls well. Just a great vehicle!

Visibility Outward Needs Improvement

L.L., 06/26/2018
SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Headlights leave MUCH to improve. I drive in rural area with no street lamps. LED Lights on high beam do not illuminate far down the road. If you attempt to execute turn at night, there is NO side illumination and you are turning into a black void. Poor visibility out front windshield where side posts block a lot of the road. Absolutely need backup camera to see any obstacles when reversing.

To Durango or not to Durango?

Audra, 12/22/2015
Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

My husband and I have expanded our family with a new baby so it was time to upgrade our vehicle. We looked at several SUV’s from Chevy to Toyota, crossing Buicks and Fords, we even visited the jeep. The Durango was the very first vehicle I drove (test) and none of the other really gave us what all we wanted not only in space and safety but also price and comfort. We also have a 21 foot camper we haul therefore whichever vehicle we bought would need appropriate towing capabilities. Our dealership really hooked us up with some awesome warranties and life time powertrain coverage (with stipulations). Thus our buying experience was very pleasing after 10 days of running around everywhere comparing. Now I have owned my new Durango for almost a month. My review…I love how it drives and hugs the road. My children have their own separate seats and there is no issue with crossing each other’s paths. I am pleased that if one of them turns on the lights in the back, it does not cause any distractions with my driving; I do not even know it’s on actually. Most of the extras like heated seats and multi adjusting seats are nice to have for convince and comfort. My husband is 6”6 and husky. I am 5”9 and a lil fluffy and we have plenty of room together no matter who’s driving. I can also sit in the back seat and tend to my newborn comfortably. Third row seats, my four year old love them. The GPS is a pain is the bottom though. It is one that I am working on figuring out. The voice recognition is not exactly my cup of tea. It’s like asking for a representative when you call the IRS… I do have a slight accent so I am not sure if this is the issue. Works good for making phone calls but if I want to go somewhere new I have to add 5 minutes to my itinerary to mess with it and pray I don’t hit it with a hammer. The Automatic high beams are not as punctual as I would like them to be. I feel I blind a quarter of the other drivers and another quarter thinks I am a vixen because the high beams flash on and off at times making it seem as though I am asking them to dim their light…thus I get flashed back. And last the rear hatch door does not seem to have a safety sensor for object in the way while it automatically shuts. So push the button and shuffle quickly out of the way. The good thing is, is that all my issues can be resolved by disabling them through the vehicles settings. I hope this helps anyone looking into this vehicle, as for me I will be keeping mine for a while!

51050