Used 2005 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Still on the road Over 100,000 miles on it
By ladybugshome

2005 Dodge Durango ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

They did not design it well around gas cap, major rust area for that car. Back panel rusted all around gas cap

Worst Vehicle I Ever Owned
By mbus489

2005 Dodge Durango ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased used with 34k in 2009, I have a 06 Dodge Stratus and it's the best car I have ever owned. Where do I start, engine is doggy and slow to pick up, bad gas mileage, no rear leg room, plastic on seats by seat belts broke, developed a lifter tap at start up (60k miles) even with proper oil changes, brain went at 70k ($1,200) can't keep rotors on it, drivers door does not seal can't hear yourself think over 40 mph, if I lock it into 4X4 it binds klunks and moans, when I take it out gas mileage drops significantly and it pulls to the right for 2 or 3 days (since day 1), now at 101k the check engine light comes on then goes off but no codes, squeaky front end, I could go on and on.

Once you get it to kick out of overdrive it has nice power and it does very well in the snow

None they have already changed the design

210,000 miles in 5 years
By november128

2005 Dodge Durango ST Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought an '05 Dodge Durango ST with 45k on it in June 07 for ~$19k. In that time I've put on over 165,000 miles. I have had to replace all 4 tires twice, battery, headlights, alternator, gas tank (factory recall covered by Dodge), spark plugs, & air compressor. What finally did me in was losing the transmission about 2 weeks ago. Fixing it would run about $1500 and even then its no guarantee how much more the car has in it. The gas mileage is miserable but this car held on through the rough & tumble college years where it was routinely loaded down with people & stuff for long haul drives (1k+ miles). Nothing fancy but sturdy. I am sad to see it go and not sure what I'll replace it with.

Room. I am 5'10" and little cars just don't do it for me. I could also fit a lot of stuff in this car without having to think about it.

Gas mileage.

0 - 220,000 in 8 years
By supershel777

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! We have put 220,000 miles on this SUV and been back and forth across this country many times. It has performed flawlessly. We have done Nothing to the engine other than the exhaust manifold came loose from the engine.
Great comfort and realiability!
Lots of space for cargo. We are a traveling band and hauling sound equipment all over was hard on this truck but she just kept going and going and is still going!

1. Reliability 2. Comfort in the front seat! 3. Styling! Most people seem to think it is several years newer than it is and that's allright with me! 4. Pulls double axle trailers just fine. we put over 100,000 miles on it pulling a trailer.

Gas Mileage is terrible!!! Gas pours out the spout as you fill it!

Love this SUV.
By kgates75

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this truck. It has been dependable since I purchased it in 2007. It was a 2005 with 23K. I have driven this from WI - TN x2 and WI- FL x2. No issues other then it spits fuel back out when you fill it. Minor repair issues. I even hit a deer did minimal damage. I feel very safe in this truck.

The All wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, DVD, third row, the room inside, sound system, everything.

Gas mileage is horrible. The gas gushing back out when pumped needs to be addressed as well.