Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Good, but not Great!
By ChadM

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

Overall I have been happy with the vehicle. I have had one recurring problem that no one has been able to resolve. This vehicle will "bog down" and stutter, and possibly stall periodically. I believe it is a lack of fuel, but it could be an air flow problem or all 6 cyclinders amy not be firing properly. The check engine light comes every time this occurs (it has happened 15-20 times). Every time the code has been checked it indicates that the gas cap needs to be replaced because the air seal and therefore the air pressure is not being maintained properly.

4 doors

Best truck I've ever owned
By mistermopar

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new, traded in my Mustang for it. Turns out to have been a great decision. Not an ounce of trouble so far. Worst thing I've ever had happen is a ticking valve lifter, but that goes away in 20 seconds or so and then it just runs perfect. Runs on low octane without pinging at all, a problem I've had with almost every other brand I've owned. Love the V8, but it could have more HP/torque for its size, but incredibly smooth and more of an economy engine than the 360 was (I have one of those in a 1996 Ram). I don't really know what else I could want a truck to be than this one!

The color, Amber Fire (burnt orange). Don't know why they stopped this color. Now everybody but Dodge has a similar color! I get comments all the time from people who love the color!

Tranny downshifts smooth as glass, upshift from 1-2 is SLIGHTLY rough, but not that bad. That's it, I love this truck, had it for almost 5 years so far!

Does it all
By Eric

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a very picky buyer- this was my 21st vehicle and my first new vehicle. Dodge was the only manufacturer that offered the combination I was looking for- a v8, stick, anti-slip transmission, great appeal, and low insurance cost. After 84000 miles, the truck hasn't lost any power, I get an honest 19 MPG average city/hwy, my insurance is $338 A YEAR, and it is quicker than the R/T, and most sports cars. I can pass other vehicles quickly while towing a 3500 lb. boat! The ride is smooth, parts are cheap ($125 for a complete DIY brake job), and it has the American resilience to rust.

Power, style, dependability, utility, gas mileage, handling, low maintenance.

Rotors warped after 25000 miles, replacements did the same. A little cramped for those over 6'.

Very reliable
By Albert Flagg

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had this truck for 4 years now.It is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 when it only had 25,000 miles on it.I now have 92,000 miles on it and it still performs like a new truck. Everyone who rides it say it rides like a car.I have driven from georgia to Oklahoma several time without a glitch. Whenever I travel driving ,I drive my truck . I get complements all the time about how beautiful a truck it is. The only problems I have had is the air conditioner compressor went out and,the passenger door lock was humming when activated. Those problems were covered under the warranty and resolved. I think I can say I love my truck.

Its exterior looks far surpass any other truck on the road. It is comfortable on long trips.

'00 Dodge Dakota
By Walter

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The Dakota with the 4.7 V8 has ample power to pull a two horse trailer, stock, but with a few minor modifications it puts close to 300 HP to the rear wheels. Be careful though on wet roads with it's light rear axle weight it will easily spin the tires.

Easy to manuver in traffic, with plenty of passing power.

Could have had better stock rims