Used 1998 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Problems!
By Piewicket

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased from dealer used and they replaced the computer before we bought it. Should have stopped there. A complete lemon. 50k tortioner for serpentine broke (not covered under extened warranty). after throwing and wearing out many serpentine belts, 70k transmission froze up 6 mo before warranty expired. Cost us $100 for deductible on bumper2bumper warranty, and now just replaced rear seal at over $500. My 1967 Beetle has less problems than this one.

Double sliding doors. These are nice.

Redesign of the engine.

Nice family van
By 98 dodge

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this car new. I sold it on Jan. 23 2005, for a fully loaded 2005 Toyota Sequoia. During that time I had the van I put almost 124,000 miles on it, it had never let me down. I had the mid-level SE trim w/ the 3.3 ltr. flex-fuel engine. The van had a nice interior for a Dodge, and it was pretty sturdy until we were about to sell it, the paneling was falling off. The paint was not faded or rusting, it looked like new.

Nice ride, family friendly, good power, nice for long trips

I know the Dodge has had a major facelift, but in the older one they could've used a bit more better materials.

Paid "idiot" dues buying a 2nd Caravan
By jeff meier

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I've owned used cars for 40 years....no car has been anywhere near the nightmare of Dodge Caravans. Bought a new one in '93...disaster...liked the dealer and heard quality had improved on Caravans, so I bet on Dodge one more time. WHAT AN IDIOT! 3 water pumps, headgaskets blew, air conditioner leaks, starter, alternator belts, struts and stabilizers replaced at 50,000 miles....was undriveable, flimsy speakers that sound like blackboard scratching and dealer service manager says....no warranty...they still "work". I should have spent the extra $ on a Honda or Toyota.....will next time.

Fuel economy is good, captain chairs, cup holders, drives more like a car, good window vision and sight lines.

Dodge has no clue on the cost of poor quality. You need a 100,000 mile warranty on Dodge products. Or you'll be making 2 payments each month...a car payment and a repair bill.

Lemon with no value
By huskerlew

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

At 65,000 miles, head gasket blew. Trade in value is very minimal. Reliability and resale are two most important items and this lemon fails in both categories. One would have to ask themselves why they would even consider a 2005 model. When I purchased, my expectations were to exceed 100K without a major repair. Looks like I was led astray.

The van is very comfortable.

Improve engine reliability. I understand the transmission is a common problem with the van as well. I will probably dump prior to having another major.

Love Hate Relationship
By Newman

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought the cheapest model I could get (4
cylinder); turned out not to be so
inexpensive. Have loved the utility, design,
looks, comfort, handling, sharp turning of the
vehicle. It has been the worst car I have had
for reliability; on my third transmission,
second ac system has now died, need a
third water pump, etc. The fuel economy is
also suprisingly poor for a 4 cylinder engine
(average about 19 mpg).

Ride, looks, very comfortable front bucket seats, great turning radius.

Reliable transmission, engine, and ac unit.