2018 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE
By Katie C

2018 Chevrolet Traverse L 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 9A)

After the recession, we decided we wanted to support the American auto industry and bought our first American car. Unfortunately, this car has been so terrible, that we will never do so again. We purchased the car new in 2009. It currently has just under 70,000 miles at 9 years old. We purchased the car because it had good gas mileage for an SUV and because it looked nice and was a reasonable price for a three-row, eight-person car. We wanted a car that would last 10-12 years/100-120,000 miles. We have thankfully never been in an accident with this car and are not particularly careful with the car, but are not super hard on it either. We have maintained it regularly. Virtually every system has needed major repairs. These repairs have popped up throughout the car’s life and not just recently. We have had to make large investments in the air-conditioning, transmission, power steering, electrical, engine, braking and exterior. The interior is falling apart. It is comprised of cheap plastic pieces that a snap together, and any use causes parts to break. We are missing all of the plastic guards underneath the rear seats, all of the guards over the seatbelts, all of the vent directional tabs and more. Seats have ripped. The back door leaks causing mold to grow, and the repair involves replacing the entire back door at a significant cost. For about two years, the headlamps kept burning out, and we had to replace them about every two months. Finally, the dealership discovered an electrical issue that seemed to fix that problem but not before many, many times of leaving the car for 4-6 hour headlamp replacement. You see, to replace the headlamps on these cars, you have to take the entire front end off. It’s expentive and takes time. Nearly any non-car person would be unable to make the switch that on a typical car would be simple. We currently have electrical problems that cause the check engine light to come on and off regularly. For a while, we took it into the shop to check it, but at $100 just to check it and be told that it was nothing, we stopped doing that. For all I know, the check engine light might actually mean something, but we won’t know until it dies. We had the airbag repaired three times. Within a day of having it repaired, the check airbag light comes on. The battery is under the floor between the first and second rows. It is a special battery that is not as easy to find when it needs to be replaced, twice. We have not gotten anywhere near the advertised MPG’s. In fact, we have seen about half that the entire life of the car. Also, the design is not well thought-out. To access the third row, you have to slide the second row forward. This would be fine if the rails that the seat slides on we’re protected, but they are not, so snow and water drips down causing it to rust. We have had to have the rails replaced twice at a cost of over $1000 each time. I could go on. I have come to hate this car, but we are not wealthy, so we have to drive it until it dies. We are putting in minimal funds until that time. We know of one other person who purchased this car, and they got rid of it after three years for similar reasons. Really think hard about how much you want to have this car available to you and how much you want to spend in maintenance. It will be in the shop a lot, and you will spend a lot.

Don't buy this car!unless you carry a fire extingu
By Noel Torres Rodriguez

2018 Chevrolet Traverse High Country 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 9A)

Driving this suv on the road the inner liner under the fender started to come down and rub on the tire, smelly rubber was being burnt as I stop right away and notice the weak cheap fabric that was in-place instead of a hard plastic came down almost causing a fire hazard !! what a cheap car and yes to those who own this car or drive it your in danger beware! this product should be replaced asap, before a counter lawsuit happensGM!also ive notice! if you turn your wheel all the way your CV,joints will make this clicking noise like there ready to go out ? took it to my dealer and they said gm told them to replace a crew to stop the noise called gm and ask them but they said no we didn't ? , also potion of the paint job was not completed on the inner rear back hatch door what cheeps

Mexican Transmission and Engine are junk.
By Seth N.

2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT Leather 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 9A)

Unlike the previous Lamboda body style vehicles GM built, this one has much of it's drivetrain, if not all, built in Mexico. Had I known this before signing I would have changed my mind. I liked the roomy 2nd and 3rd row, and towing capacity. The tech attracted me too and that was a let down. If a tech company made an entertainment system this flawed they would go out of business. Skips, glitches, freezes every day we drive it. The transmission has been drained and "reprogrammed", the drive selector now lags as I shift to drive. Shift, wait, jerk, and go! The sunshade clip exploded because of a design flaw compared to old style sun shade. I've had all the typical Brake assist, park assist warning prompts appear. The weather stripping has been replaced due to annoying creaking noise and will be again because it is starting again. It feels like I'm driving a prototype that I paid a lot of money for. There have been other issues and I know there will be more. Chevy has let me down. I had an executive complaint end with an offer for free XM Radio for a few months. No thanks. SKIP THE NEW TRAVERSE

Mini Tahoe
By MT21

2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT Cloth 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 9A)

We love our 2018 Traverse. It has great cargo space. We love that the third row folds flat. Our Great Dane has more than enough room to ride along with us. Normally we prefer leather seats, however the two toned cloth is very attractive. The track system makes it easy to get into the third row while having a car seat secured safely. The USB ports are amazing and functional. I am extremely happy with our purchase.

Transmission Failure, Stranded Family = Unhappy!
By Daryl

2018 Chevrolet Traverse Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 9A)

Transmission failed at 10k miles, leaving family stranded in 95 degree heat. Chevy roadside assistance, Onstar, Local dealers, nobody came to get us (we were in a very rural area after 6pm on a Saturday and no rental car places were open, no Uber, no internet- just voice cell service). Chevy wanted to tow to small local dealership- we had to pay to get it towed to our dealership. Had to call friends to get us. Repairs took 2 weeks, plate replacement and software re-load to fix. One month later (while trying to get to a wedding), transmission will not engage when shifting into drive while engine hot. Will have to go back into shop. This year model does not have the bugs worked out- the 9 speed transmission is not reliable. We begged Chevrolet to give us relief and buy back the vehicle. We were denied. Please save yourself and your family. Avoid this car at all costs. We love the look and features of the car (why we bought it).. Thankfully my family is ok- but this could have very easily ended very badly. It is not worth the risk to your family- especially since Chevrolet will not take ownership of this defect.