2017 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Suprised after years of driving Hyundai Santa Fe
By Jenith Strickland

2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT w/2LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice interior, great ride, less road noise

Got this after the 2015 Journey
By Jennifer

2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT w/1LT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from a 2015 Journey, I can say that overall, I prefer the 2017 Chevy Traverse so far.I have the LT1, which I understand to be the mid range model. Much roomier, wonderfully smooth ride, captains chairs in the middle row bring more comfort for the backseat passengers and also make it easier to access the 3rd row. I feel it has a classier interior with the dual brown/gray color combination. Better fuel economy, much more storage space with both the 3rd row up and down and from the drivers perspective, much more fun to drive as it handles very well and as I said previously, has such a smooth ride. The down side? The infotainment center isn't as up to date and user friendly as the Journey, it won't connect to my iphone 5s so I can't use the texting or pandora features, it doesn't have the auto unlock feature where all the doors unlock when the driver grabs the door handle, it starts with a key instead of a button start which means I have to get used to having my keys out when I leave where before I could just leave them in my purse and my final gripe is that it doesn't have a digital speedometer!! I have had a digital speedometer since my 2012 DodgeCaravan and I am finding it hard adjusting to actually having to read the speedometer instead of just glancing down to see the digital number. I do believe that all of these features I don't like were eliminated with the 2018 Traverse so in 2 years when I turn in my lease, if I were to get another one and those features were upgraded, I would give it 5 starts

A good size and ride vehicle. Real gas guzzler
By GerryC

2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT w/1LT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It is a good vehicle, but has several things that are very annoying. The first one is the gas mileage. In city traffic, on busy streets, you'll get around 12 mpg. Strictly highway the best I ever got is just under 24. Another item I don't like is that the AC Circ mode turns off every time you turn the key off, having to be reset every single time. Another item I don't like is the location of the roof column in the front of the vehicle. it obstruct the visibility and small items, like pedestrians can be blocked by it. I liked the ride and the idea that the leg room in the second of seats can be adjusted to to accommodate passengers in all 3 rows.

Works great for a specific segment
By TraverseReviewGuy

2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT w/1LT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Had my 2015 Town and Country in the shop and had to rent a vehicle for the week. Closest thing they had that was similar in size was the 2017 LT Chevy Traverse. The vehicle has TONS of room, and overall was a very smooth and comfortable ride. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the acceleration. If buying one, I would go into the purchase decision knowing that I am buying it for safety and cargo capacity, not acceleration. With nearly 300 HP, it accelerates just fine. No, you won't blow a sports car away, but it will handle basic driving tasks just fine (i.e., city driving and passing on the highway). That said, the vehicle falls very short in terms of modern technology, as well as some basic amenities most family oriented vehicles seem to have. The center console seems intrusive and not really functional. The cargo door does not automatically raise or lower itself, and there doesn't seem to be a way to control this from the driver's seat either. The center entertainment console looks like it is a 1st generation console; possibly from the early 2000s. The gauge cluster gives you trip information and mileage, that's it. No distance-to-empty, which even our 2011 Sonata (base model) has. The rear view camera seems a bit slow to respond, but works okay. Climate control seems lacking, though is very effective. For example, there are climate control knobs for rear passengers, but if they're kids (in our case), they can't reach them. In our mini-van they can reach them fine. No dual-zone controls for the driver / passenger either. With that said, the air-conditioning and heating works excellent. Overall, I can't imagine anyone buying this SUV unless they were only concerned with cargo capacity. Unless you step up to the Premier level, the vehicle is simply out-classed by competitors (my opinion).

Not a horrible SUV(see update)
By Meathead1986

2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT w/2LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've always been a Ford guy so impressing me is hard with the way most GM products work. This thing packs a pretty decent bang for buck as we tested an explorer, Santa fe, and pathfinder. If the deal would have gone right we'd honestly have the pathfinder as that had the most overall refined feel and features for the price. As the dealership that had it was horrible we found the traverse as a happy medium with the lt2 package. Sound from the radio is amazing and between that and the quiet cabin it really drowns out the subpar engine as it winds up to use every ounce of power it has to get moving. I'm not kidding when I say this thing lacks power... it's really bad and I find myself 2nd guessing myself passing quite a bit. Inside the cabin is quite roomy with a couple quirks that don't ruin your experience. For instance, when you turn the car off with Bluetooth audio on you'd expect it to be the first thing that comes up when you get back in the vehicle. This isn't the case at all and it's slightly annoying. Also the cup holders in the middle part of the cabin are right on the door (w/captains chairs). Not sure if the bench is the same but this is a disaster with children slamming doors on road trips. Last thing is the auto windows. They're only auto down... not up. Not sure who thought of this but having to roll this thing up and down 5 days a week to show an ID at a gate makes this very irritating. It really seems small but makes a huge difference. Other than that features on this are very good and it seems very well put together and kid proof. Cargo space is very lacking with all seats up but if you can fold a seat this really opens up the area. If you can't I'd suggest a full size SUV and not a crossover. Visibility out of the front and behind you is adequate but there is a huge blind spot on the vehicle thats caused me to buy bubble mirrors. Gas mileage is about the same as our old F150 with low 20s for mixed driving so we can afford it. Others may find this bad and I'd agree and suggest the fix is an engine that won't work as hard to get this thing moving (drive the explorer with the ecoboostto see what I mean). The vehicle handles turns and bumps extremely well with what you'd expect from this body style of car with the standard dead feel in the wheel. So far there are very few manufactures that can really put feel into their cars and give then soul so this isn't a killer for me. Over all we like it and we're pleased with the purchase and look forward to having this thing for some time.

Update 2018Feb21:

As winter really set in up in ND we found our heat was having issues and would not blow hot air all the time so we called the dealer to arrange fixing (not a big deal these things happen. I can accept that). After the service counter hears my problem they then ask me if my car is throwing a code or running funny so i let them know everything is normal except the heat. After this im informed that as my car was not running funny or throwing a code they would not fix it under warranty but i could pay to have it fixed... Is this not why a manufacturer warranty exists on a vehicle? I fought for a couple days with them as in ND during the winter it is dangerous to not have heat and talked to the dealer i purchased it from gently used. They more than willingly made a deal on another car (that they can fix (hyundai)) and got us out of the vehicle so as to avoid have us pulling our hair out over a grey area.

A vehicle is only as good as the warranty the manufacturer is willing to service it under and if they cant honor that then they dont deserve to have me represent their brand. Because of this situation i find it very doubtful i will ever buy a chevy again as it left a hole in my wallet and a sour taste in my mouth. Yes i could have paid to have it fixed but what happens when the same thing happens another 10k miles down the road or something else comes up the warranty will not honor? I refuse to leave any boxes unchecked and will not have my family suffer because they cant do something they should be expected to.

Decent vehicle overall but do homework on warrantied items and weather your dealer will homor them before representing a brand u could regret down the road.