Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

My First and Best Car
By John

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This is a dependable and reliable car if you get one that is in healthy condition. All that is required is regular maintenance. Just remember to change the oil and basically that's all you have to do. This car is extremely low maintenance. Gas mileage is good and there is nothing that went wrong with the engine yet and it has 123,000 miles on it. Just routine stuff is required; I had to change the sensor twice. I had to change the serpentine belt. Just recently the brake hose had a leak and had to be replaced. Changing the sensor was the most expensive thing I had to do for this car. It is very low maintenance and it get's good MPG. It drives like it was purchased from the dealership just last week!! The only real downside I can say is that the interior controls are cheap and the door handles break a lot. The inside door handles are terrible. You have to be careful when opening the doors from the inside. One other downside is the cars pickup speed. It is very slow to gain speed, but after the car picks up the desired speed that you want it cruises right along.

Frequent repairs
By Tampa Tom

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Basically being a Corolla, I would have expected more reliability. Bought it for my daughter's first car. Put nearly as much oil in it as gas and the brake switch needs replaced monthly as it locks the gear into park. Love getting those calls from her to come rescue her from the roadside. Cigarette lighter pops the stereo fuse. Need a crane to get out of the car as it comes as a low rider straight from the factory. Okay, enough whining already.... Oh, and don't take a drink along with you if you plan on using the stereo as it will block the controls. Okay, now I'm done whining. LOL

This car will never die
By Chevy

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 1 yr ago with 185000 miles on it,Today it has 205000 and still runs like a top. The transmission shifts very smooth and engine is very strong. I get great gas mileage about 32-35 mpg. I am very happy with this car and would buy another one in the future if i could. The only issue these prism/corollas are known for at high miles is they burn oil. i have to add a quart like every 400 miles, but thats ok because the car is very very reliable and cheap to own otherwise.

Just bought this as an extra car.
By dmd747

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

So I just purchased this car used with just a little over 96,000 miles. Gotta say great choice. We've been having a hellish winter here -20's not uncommon followed by 6-12 inches of snow when it warms up. This car has never even hesitated. Mine is the 5 speed and I love the gas mileage. Awesome heat!!! A/C works too. Mine had the usual door handle break off, but the previous owner fixed it. I can't believe I actually enjoy driving this car. I wish the new Corolla wasn't cvt then I'd buy one next year.

5 speed, great heat, good a/c. Peppy fun to drive and zip around town.

Better seats and a good arm rest. Could also use a tachometer.

Best car I have ever owned
By pteixeira

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, ordered it in fact, down to every feature. It was my very first new car.
Fast forward 12 years and my baby has 120,000 miles on her and has never let me down.
Ever.
I replaced the tires a few times, the compressor on the air conditioner and a few minor things, but this car has never left me stranded at the roadside.
I still get 35-40mpg. I will drive this car till the wheels fall off.
I expect to put on another 100,000 easily.

Definitely my favorite feature of this car is the mileage. It is awesome. I also like the position of the cupholders, and that they disappear when not in use. My hubby has a Hyundai Elantra and the cupholders are in such a place that you have to take your eyes off the road to grab your cup. Not in my Prizm! :) The back seat is roomy enough for anyone I've ever had in the car.

My only gripe about this car is that at the 11 year mark the weatherstripping around the windows started to crack off. It has made no difference not being there, tho. Also, the driver side visor will not stay up. I currently use a binder clip to keep it up, but have a replacement on order from eBay, which cost $20.