Used 2015 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great car!
By Ron

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Very responsive, very good handling, excellent mileage, and good looking!

Great value, Best pick for Big 3 offerings
By Johnny

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned this car since new for the last 3 years. There have only been two problems I have run into. The stitching on the driver seat has started to fail in one section but that could be due to my size or sidearm. The other is I found out there was an update to the HVAC system that would keep the blower running after the car was shut off to help dry out the evaporator to help prevent a musty smell during the summer. This car has plenty of power for a 4 cylinder and transmission shifts smoothly. The most important thing you can do to keep this car going is use a premium full synthetic oil and change every 5000 miles. Change you trans fluid @60k and the coolant @100K. GM does not recommend changing these fluids this early and suggest you use the oil life monitor. I keep my cars to 300k-400k miles and GM just wants you to get past 100k. Use a premium tire for best ride as well. I have run Bridgestone Driveguard tires since day 1 and they are great. Low road noise and improved handling. They are not cheap though. At 75000 miles the brakes are still 7-8mm thick. Overall this has been the best new car I have bought in years. Maintain your car properly and it will last.

The jury is out...
By tobascofred

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Long story short - took a job that is an 87 mile daily round trip (all highway except for 8 miles). Had been working from home and owned a 2015 Jeep JK Willys. Drive to/from work was intolerable in the Jeep (ride, MPG, etc.). Traded in for 2015 Malibu 1LT 2.5. Asked salesman about the "engine off at stop light" that I thought I'd read - he assured me that was incorrect. Well, silly me.... So as the new owner, I now do my homework (reading and poking around the car) and see the reality I am now in (hence the tiny green "eco" badge on the trunk). I am now alarmed by the reviews calling out the stop/start issues and jolt back to what I thought were some "odd" drive offs from stop lights over the past few days. Grrrr...... Gas mileage and ride quality obviously light years ahead of the Jeep but what future problems have I bought myself into?... When I made the deal I agreed to ~$250 less payback in order to get a real spare tire/jack/tools (a slime tire pump?!?!? WTF? What about side-wall blowouts?). So I will probably be stuck with this car and will provide future write ups to see if this marriage becomes a nightmare or a dream...

Pick something else!
By Kathy

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I drove a 2015 Malibu approx 35k per year. I had the car for 2 years and all maintenance completed per schedule recommendations. While the car was in park, the car caught on fire and burned to the ground. I had less than 5 minutes to get myself and my children out unharmed before the car went up in flames. A very unsafe vehicle.

2.0 Turbo... oh yeah!
By M. Bauer

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/3LT (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My previous car was an old '01 Chevy Impala V6 that I ran until the electrical failed and it became too expensive to maintain. So, I initially went in leasing the car, not knowing if I would even like it. Well, at the end of my two-year lease, I want to buy. Although the car was titled as a 2LT, the 2.0 Turbo engine actually makes it a 3LT. Strange. The engine is the same you'll find in the 4-cylinder Camaro... only, the Malibu is lighter. So, torque to weight ratio has the Camaro beat... putting this guy in a sort of unsuspecting "sleeper" category. If getting ahead of the pack after the light is your thing, then this certainly will do the trick against most anything with more mass (speaking family car/truck here). IDK how confident I would be purchasing a 2.0 turbo used, however. If you're not putting mid-grade or above in the tank, you'll not only loose out on the 259hp, you'll eventually ruin your engine. Yes, the engine will sense the lower grade and compensate for knock, but after about two years of running economy, the engine will never be able to recover from it. The car looks sharp from the outside, and is even sharper inside. I really like the contours of the trunk (might be funny, but true). That, along with the appearance of front tapered/rear lifted angle adds a good touch of "aggressive sport" to what I'd consider an otherwise family sedan. This one came pretty much fully loaded, so comfort wise it's a joy to drive in the city or for long stretches of highway. 360 degree collision detect is nice... works well to notify me of upcoming obstacles (like people walking behind me or braking cars ahead). Self-dimming rearview mirror is a nice touch. Was sort of put off by it at first... during near-dusk it didn't seem to darken enough in my opinion. Was great at night though. The only real complaint I have is the control interface. Some of the settings didn't actually do anything (such as what the temp controls do if remotely started, etc.). And, additional customization and/or updates would be freaking great! You know, like independent adjustments to touchscreen intensity, ambient lighting, and indicator panel. Or, allowing customized photos to be displayed instead of menu or default "splash screen" when powered off. These are obviously just nit-picky complaints though. Overall I couldn't be happier with the car.