Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Malibu for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

An Accord V6 for $5500 less

sunsete, 11/30/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is bigger than it looks. Steering is silky smooth and silent. Good pickup when needed and excellent milage when driven prudently (36mpg city 44mpg hwy). Interior is built better than my office desk for bins clips and tables. Beautiful car I think; much better than all the other triangles and jellybeans running around out there. Headlights are outstanding, really light up the road ahead.

355,000 mies and still a dream to drive!

Dansker1, 07/08/2015
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

... pleasurable miles of driving:+)}}} This is my third review on this vehicle, did one in 2014.............just took in for 333,000 check up, all I can say it is amazing. Had oil gasket replaced three years ago for the first time, burns virtually no oil (most driving is highway). Has plenty of pep, but needs new shocks...........my chevy mechanics have asked me if I will sell this vehicle to them, after I am done with it! Minimal replacement of parts, had new ball joints put in a couple of months ago, and brakes, other than that, nothing has gone wrong. As said before, I would buy another in a heart beat..............with 333,000 miles on the odometer the car has a negative value (just don't tell that to the car)...........happy owner, Just came back from a 8 and 1/2 hour drive to NYC.............burned about an eighth of a quart of high mileage oil, and the auto drive has quit, but had chevys since I was in high school..........1949 fastback pea green, and paid a whopping $50.00 for it (it ran great for two years, the tranny went) should have kept my 1958 Impala two door, paid $800 for it and today it is worth $80,000, but who knew! A trick I highly recommend is to put a bottle of Gumout High Milage liquid into your gas tank, and burn regular gasoline(every 9,000 miles)............better performance, and I picked up about three miles per gallon.......................enjoy!

276,000 miles and still runs like a top!

dansker1, 09/11/2014
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Economy plus great handling

tao, 03/23/2006
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After almost 3 years with this car, I am very pleased with it. I enjoy the handling and the zippy V-6, which gets over 30 mpg on the highway. It is chock-full of features, such as side- curtain airbags, all of which were much more expensive on import competitors.

Poorly made

mcrogers07, 06/13/2016
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

If you'll look at carcomplaints.com, you'll notice 195 people reported steering problems. I had an issue with my steering column, which rendered the car as though it was hydroplaning. I paid to get that repaired (because Chevy still refused to do a recall even with all of the complaints). My engine coolant sensor has crapped out, so that indicator comes on every time the car is started. I was told that was also a common problem and would require a decent amount of labor to replace a relatively inexpensive part. There's also a loud vibration noise coming from the front dash when driven. It also dies randomly, but thankfully, as the car has already stopped. The trunk button stopped working so it has to be opened manually. The turn signal lights go out frequently. The display doesn't function if it's too cold.

More bang for your buck

Brent Young, 07/24/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are, or were, hardcore SUV owners until we saw and drove the newly designed Malibu. The price tag was a big hit as well. I would have expected to pay much more money for all the luxury. The car is far superior in the quiet department as well, and rides as well as a larger wheel based auto. I am a big guy, and the car is suprisingly roomy. Our best mileage yet as been just over 27 mpg, but that was only on a two hour turn around trip. I believe the car will do better on the long haul. Simply put, the car has really exceeded my expectations.

ssful, 07/30/2005
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've been most pleased with my 2004 Malibu. It suits my needs, safely getting me to the grocery store, and not breaking the bank on providing transportation. I feel this is an excellent choice for a student driver, or small family, or elderly person who is not looking for all the bells and whistles, but reliable transportation with the safety of a midsize. I extensively shopped, and only the Malibu and Galant were priced within my range .I purchased a demo with low mileage fully equipped, with two years of remaining warranty and paid under $10k. My only complaint is the seat adjustment handle is of such inferior plastic, I fear that it will break off every time I have to readjust.

Great Car

rebecca young, 04/12/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The all new malibus are great cars, fun, to drive, and very sleek!

A car that is more than adequate

Malibu Raptor, 06/20/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have now put over 1300 miles on this car and for the most part am satified with it. I previously own a 99 and a 02 Malibu and felt they were excellent cars. I was disappointed that the base model of the new line of Malibu's only has a 2.2l 4 cylinder engine, although it has more than enough power to get the job done and gets excellent mileage. A recent 360 mile road trip got 37.8 mpg according to the onboard trip computer. It is very unfortunate that they have dropped the ABS and child door locks from the standard equipment list for the base model.

Nice Car

MikeT612, 09/25/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like it. Looks weird at first, but it grows on you.

Love my boo

Aleshea, 03/02/2006
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am pleasantly surprised to have an affordable, reliable, American made car. My family of four drove on a long 1000 mile road trip in the Malibu. We got great gas mileage (33 mpg) and we were very comfortable. I love driving this car and found the price very reasonable. It was an easy choice!

great Car

Thompson, 12/31/2006
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. I have owned many lemons. Cant wait to go out and drive it. Glad it is an American made car. I have previously owned a foreign car which has basically nickled and dimed me to death replacing head gaskets twice. Major expense especially when the parts are foreign. This car is the greatest. Best smooth ride. All the neighbors would like to have it. Glad this time I invested in a Chevy. If you purchase one I'm sure you will love it..

What a LEMON!

Suggabuzz, 08/03/2015
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has so many problems that I couldn't list them all if I tried. The dash is lit up like a Christmas tree! There are problems with the traction control/ ABS and Power steering. The headlights, trunk pop button, and gas gauge all do not work. Things just fall off and brake constantly. It leaks coolant, as well as transmission fluid. I bought this car with 'no problems' about 4 years ago, and it has been a constant battle to keep it out of the shop. There are so many re-calls i think even Chevy wants me to throw it off a cliff.

i still love my car but..........

Won't buy another, 09/16/2010
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

Malibu Falling Apart Slowly

Malibu not so much, 07/05/2008
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So when I purchased my car it was in top shape. Now I take care of my car. Never a mile over 3000 without an oil change, I pay to have it cleaned. Now the problem with my Malibu is that the parts to the interior are inferior. The less expensive plastic breaks on dash with the tap of passenger knees. The gas cap sensor has gone out at 55000 miles. I have replaced blinker bulbs on 4 occassions and have only had the car to a little over 1 year. Power and comfort a plus, If only Barbie could see her Malibu now.

Great when it's working

Malibu is not bad, 12/30/2008
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Malibu LS in 2004 and when it works it is great. We have gotten highway mileage anywhere from 35-38 mpg on several cross country trips, and it has nice acceleration when needed. We had to have the steering column replaced (under warranty) and the mechanic explained that this was a common design flaw in the '04 Malibu and that we were just fortunate that we weren't doing anything dangerous when the power steering went out. Other than that and a few other maintenance (under warranty) issues, we like our Malibu and if we were in the market for another sedan we would get another Malibu (but our family is outgrowing sedans).

Going on my 5th year of ownnership

proudboomerlady, 01/07/2009
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I have been happy with my purchase, the car is fun to drive and handles well. Not crazy about the dashboard, and the Onstar is worthless to me. I cancelled them after a 2 hour wait for a battery that died in 102* temps...Ride is pleasant but somewhat noisy on highways. Front and Rear seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is is great on interstates. I feel this car is excellent competition to the foreign manufactures. I now have a little over 50K miles and have not really had to use the extended warranty I paid for for the amount it cost me. Don't recommend buying it.

Malibu

chucked, 07/10/2009
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2004, and have had very little trouble with it. Around 22,000 miles, i had to replace the brakes, tires, and Chevy took care of the tie rod ends (good on them, as it was abought 2 months out of warranty). Other than that, no real issues. Sometimes the alternator light comes on when I accelerate hard, but only for a second or two. Gas mileage is great, I put a K&N air filter in it and get regularly 35+ mpg on the highway, better than most 4 cylinders I have driven.

Best Malibu Yet

Ken Geiselmann, 11/14/2003
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Leased a 1999,then a 2001 and now a 2004 and find this to be the best. I think this one is the best of all, it seems to ride smoother and the the mpg averages 22+ under a variety of conditions. Engine response is tremendous. Has plenty of standard features that are usefull. Upgraded to the 6 cd radio and it is great. I have one rattle and have isolated it to the front passenger seat and will get rid of it.

GREAT CAR ABOUT TIME

KENT, 12/15/2003

LOVE THIS CAR BEEN IN HONDAS FOR YEARS WAY TO GO CHEVY

Da-Da-Daymm

Take_me_away, 02/05/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my moms mali..we just got it a week ago and since she has her Corolla i get to drive her car to school. Take the Back twisty road and find the longest possible way to get to school. C mon chevy..tell the truth..i know its not 200 hp..cuz it feels like more..Its especailly great to cruz at night and follow your friends around with their cars..the thumb shifter is soo cool..my cousin even asked my mom to take it to the military ball to impress her friends. Now I Need a defender against people wanting a ride because they see alot of room in the back...she thinks its crip (Nice,Cool)..2 thumbs and 2 toes up for chevy..

I like the Malibu.

Aaron Ferley, 02/16/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like the style and feel of this car. It turns and drives nicely. Love the gas mileage this vehicle gets (better than the camary). It also has a very quite ride. Overall a very good car.

My Green Malibu

Joan Graham, 04/18/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car! Have leased this model twice and have never regretted it! It handles beautifully. Very little effort to drive it. The seats are so comfortable that I could drive forever and not get weary. Thinking of purchasing it at the end of the lease term. Thanks Chevy for making such a dependable care. By the way, my husband has one also! Joan Graham

Happy Malibu Owner

JoAnn Kirk, 04/24/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this car last Dec. It gets around 31 mpg in town and 34 out on the hwy. This car has Onstar,and is fully loaded. Power windows,power breaks, ABS breaks,and more that I have forgotten to mention! We have been totally satisfied with this purchase. We looked at a Camery with all the options this one had except for the Onstar feature. The Camery was 29,695. The Malibu was 23,600. I feel we got a great deal and exceptional value purchasing this car.

I LOVE MY MALIBU....

TaniaJo, 05/28/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My first brand new car, and I am loving every minute of driving time! I did have some problems, but the dealership took care of me and my Malibu. My parents just purchased a LS Malibu!

Chevrolet Malibu base model

Sandy A., 12/20/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is not only fun to drive but very fuel efficient. The things I don't like about it are: cheap seat coverings, base model doesn't have keyless entry, and windows could be tinted more. However, for the money, you can't beat this vehicle!

Very Impressive

Ladym, 07/17/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently needed to upgrade vehicles and when test drving decided on the Malibu LT. The exterior design is a great improvment from the previous bodystyle. Having put it on the Saab chasis is the best part. The ride is incredible, very comfortable and it has excellent leg room. The 3.0 Liter V6 has as much if not more pep than my previous Mazda 626 with the 2.5 liter V6. The electronic power steering is great. Also fuel mileage averages 32+ miles per gallon in all types of driving conditions. Interior design is great, including the heated leather seats. It has a powerful stereo and I also like the side airbag safety feature that has been added. Chevrolet has won back a customer.

2004 Malibu LT

dstracker, 08/09/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Easy to handle, and a pleasure to drive. Close the windows, crank up the CD volume, and life in traffic isn't so bad.

Sporty Little Boo

Sharon, 04/25/2017
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 Malibu new. She's just a youngster at 48,000 miles (mechanics, techs, others LOVE her and would take her in a heartbeat!). I just purchased a brand new 2017 Equinox and really like it, but miss the acceleration of my Malibu (that I'm keeping). And next to the 2017, the '04 Malibu looks just about as new - original paint and all! She's gonna' be with me for a while. Not much has gone wrong - sway bars replaced, driver's seat repaired - things I think Chevy knows about. Love my '04 LS Malibu!!!

Chevy Malibu 2004

Rayney O, 09/09/2017
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is super spacious, easy to drive, and a great option for a first-time car owner. On the down side, the car shuts off randomly when braking, The tire rods extensions are not the most durable, the traction when braking pretty unreliable (the cars skids easily when braking in rain and snow

Worst car I have owned.

jay3239, 01/12/2013
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had issue after issue with it. Everytime I fix one thing, 2 more things go wrong!

I just love my new Malibu!

Jamiesue26, 12/27/2003
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car dealer was wonderful and very informative. The car handles well and is so quiet... it is a dream to drive, especially in Miami traffic!

Piece of junk!

tomschevy, 05/21/2014
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the worst car i ever owned!so many problems,electrical problems airbag light comes on stays on some days and other days off,filled gas up needle goes crazy! no power steering in hot weather,will not start after long rides,leaking transmission fluid!wth? please do not buy one!and if you have one get rid of it!feels like car is dragging a block of concrete behind it!man worst car ever owned!!

6 Year Review

Spud90, 05/03/2010
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recorded my review in 11/24/2003 when I owned the car for 1 month. In the last 6 years I have put only 32,000 miles on. I have read the other reviews and am drawn to the poor ratings. With the exception of the steering column (first year of electric power), I have had no major problems with the car. I just replaced the original tires at 30,000 miles, had an alignment done, and it runs like it is new again. I agree with other posts that it tends to eat an unusual amount of turn signal lights, which is a minor annoyance because it takes time to replace them. Otherwise, I am still impressed with the quiet ride, the power, and the highway gas mileage (34-35 mpg with the cruise set at 75+).

Malibu equal to or better that imports

junie, 10/02/2003
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Chevrolet did their homework and have introduced a great car in the Malibu. I researched all I could find and finally was able to purchase this car. The Epsilon plateform is truly world class...tight, firm, quiet and confident. I had been an import owner, but never really believed in their hype. Now Chevrolet has the car that will convert many like myself.

stallouts

pass road, 08/20/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Purchase vehicle with 49 miles on it and at 124 miles i experience a total lost of electrical power. the car was return to dealer not only ones but twice for a total 13 days of shop repairs in 33 days of ownership. This problem continued and the car is parked and in arbitration with 710 miles on it.

Almost a lemon

Jurate, 04/21/2005
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

From the first month of ownership, the car had various troubles. Visor fell off, CD changer did not function, keyless remote needed to be replaced, steering malfunctioned, tire blew at high speed on interstate, and finally a MAF sensor went out. I had decided to trade it after making my 16th car payment, but the decision was made for me when a driver rear-ended me and totalled the car. The Malibu, on its Saab chassis, protected us very well in a pretty high speed collision. I was stopped and the other driver ran into me at 35 miles an hour, knocking me across the intersection with 3 distinct hits. I am now shopping for an import.

Great Car that saves Money!

bl45, 01/15/2011
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am proud that my car continues to run beyond 120,000 miles with no critical repairs necessary. It consistently gets 32 MPG and saves money compared to most domestic sedans. The interior features are practical and easy to use. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone!

Sorry I bought this

spikey, 04/12/2005
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission jerks when it downshifts into first, and if I press on accelerator as it's doing this, there is a bang; something loose on driver side drive train. Every bump makes terrible reverberating bangs/thuds. Cruise control kicks off because rpm is too erratic. Rough cold idle, and will stall after 10 minutes. CD player won't play CD-Rs without swooshing sounds. Interior rattles are driving me crazy, especially from passenger door pillar.

This time Chevrolet has set the standard

NatePT, 12/06/2003
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I spent several months researching and test driving midsize sedans, and found this car to be the best. It ran smoother than the Accord and quieter than the Camry. The suspension and handling are comparable to the other cars in its class, and the standard features on the LT model make it a joy to drive. Many added safety features from last year's model also set this car apart from the rest. If you're looking for a well-built, dependable, and economic midsize sedan, it would be VERY worth your while to check this one out!

04 Chevy Malibu LS

dan ford, 12/21/2003
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have researched and test-driven cars to purchase for about 5 months. As a former car salesperson, I was able to really ask tough questions to potential dealers both online and in person. I was pleasantly surprised upon learning about the new Malibu and immediately checked your website and others, concentrating on reviews and information in general. Using your website, we were able to get a quote from Woodruff Chevrolet that was interesting. After making personal contact, my wife and I test drove an LS version of the Malibu and were impressed by the features and preformance. We bought and are satisfied!

de Mexico

salvador, 01/27/2004
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my 2004 malibu, but I found some annoying noise when in bumpy roads

uncomfortable seats

Tony P, 03/18/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

driver seat(material) digs into lower back at seam very hard to drive in city let alone highway. If I had to order car again I would check what other seats are available.Chev is trying to alter my seat if possible to make things right.Test driving car without a winter coat on is my recommendation

The BU

Randoy, 06/04/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We just purchased, very happy with the ride and the look.

Love my Malibu!

Elins, 09/03/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My husband (a Chevy fan always) convinced me to buy the Malibu rather than the more expensive Honda Accord or Toyota Camry that we tested, and I am so glad that he did. Our car is loaded and still cost less than the others, and it is great! Handles well, good pickup, nicely appointed, good dash layout, great gas mileage, plenty of leg, head and storage room, and lots of fun to drive. Super value for the money!

excellent value

tdk, 12/07/2004
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have now had this car for a year 17,000 miles and it has not disappointed. The ride is excellent and the gas mileage for a v-6 w power is great, about 25 in city and 35-38 highway. The 4 cylinder Accord we had in the past never got this kind of mileage and the power was not in the same league as the Malibu. The price is also much less than the imports.

What Happend

Jason, 06/09/2008
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like the new body style. I think its a vary nice car. And the only complaint I really have is the dic driver info center. The car has some pep not much would've liked to see a 2.4l and OnStar on the base, but all in all it's a car to point a to point b, nothing unique about it.

Incredible

heckandarn, 06/24/2008
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.5L V-6. I have to tell everyone something. I have never owned a car that would get 39.9 mpg on the highway at 65 mph before. I do now! As incredible as it may seem, that's what I get on a long trip with the cruise control on. With the 200hp v-6 it's very fun to drive! It's been a long time since I've been in a car of this quality, at this price! It's exciting!

I love my BOO

smbmp, 07/01/2008
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2004 Malibu in March of 08. It had 3400 miles on it at the time. I love my car it havent given me any trouble yet. Hopefuly it won't any time soon. Since I got it I have only had to do the normal things like oil and brakes. Oh I can't get my gas cap to stay on. The only thing I dont like about these cars is there front end is ugly. They look like bugs. The car has plenty of power and great handeling once you get use to the torque steering. I think it was wort every penny I paid for it

Great car

sigmachi152, 11/25/2012
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

51050