Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Too good to be true!
By Catherine Dauthier

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Be aware before purchasing a 2010, 2011, and 2012 and possibly newer models as well. There are a couple of defects Chevrolet is well aware of but is pretending they don't affect the 2012 models even though the work order distributed to the dealer's mechanics includes the same major problem on the 2012 that is on the 2011 and 2010 models....same repair sheet lists the 2010, 2011 and 2012 models. I have since heard that some newer models were affected as well. My timing chain was changed twice, and other major parts (rods, pistons) as well on the motor and the title Chevrolet gave to the problem was something relating to the oil. In other words, the cars was not burning oil nor was oil leaking...it was just not there in a very short time after an oil and filter change. The shop foreman told me that even if a brand new motor is installed, the problem still exists. The problem doesn't exist on every single Equinox, but when the problem does exist, it gives the owner pure hell. The second problem might not seem as a big problem, however, I could have very easily been killed and other people in traffic as well. The windshield wipers and how they were installed were also defective. Thank God I was on a country road that I was extremely familiar with when I was caught in the hardest rain I have ever driven in. Yep....windshield wipers quit. Luckily, I was able to see the white line out of the right passenger's window and crawled a few miles until I got to a gas station with a cover overhead. Had I been on the Interstate, it definitely would have been lights out for me as well as others. The "defect" was the wipers sit inside of a metal tray with no way for the water to run off, therefore, the wiper parts rusted to the point of not working. I had heard of a problem before I had mine and also heard on the same radio station that after Chevrolet had decided the correct way to handle the situation owners would be notified. In the interim, the owners can go ahead and have theirs fixed and would get reimbursed. Well....after my paying $469.00 to have them fixed I was more than happy to do so as I had never been so scared in all of my life when the wipers quit with the violent rainstorm. Needless to say, I called Chevrolet and they told me that the recall were for only the ones built in Canada and especially the ones in Ontario as they have really bad humidity. I tried to explain to the Chevrolet lady about Louisiana's humidity but I felt it was no use. To add salt to a wound, I did a little investigating and discovered that all Equinoxes are made in Canada, therefore, all windshield wipers are made in Canada. She led me to believe the windshield wipers made in the States were all fine. I must sound like a Southern hick. Even still at night when I close my eyes, I imagine myself in a severe rainstorm where I can hardly see where I am going on a 6 land highway, then to make matters worse, my windshield wipers die, and I'm wide awake!!!!!!

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS & MORE PROBLEMS
By Anonymous

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Worst car ever. Timing chain problems. The terrain is also very similar as it has the same motor. Timing chain in terrain is warranties up to 120k miles so why wouldn't the equinox have the same warranty if it's the exact same motor?? That's stupid. The timing chain will literally ruin the motor. I am currently in the process of spending thousands of dollars trying to get this fixed and mine is a 2012. My aunt bought brand new and same exact thing happened to her. I am a single mom and bought my car less than 100k miles and its failing. Transmission problems, timing chain is bad and now I get to see if I need to replace the motor. This is the second car I've bought from GM and I will never buy again. Most of their cars are built with unreliable motors. They are so focused on making it look pretty and techy that they forget reliability is of most importance.

NEVER AGAIN
By Shanti Buttram

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2013 and it was brand new. The car only had one issue before it rolled over 100,000 miles and it was something to do with the transmission. AS SOON as I reached the 100,000 mile mark and my warranty was no longer in effect it has been one problem after another. I had to have the rear main seal replaced TWICE, the gas pedal sensor replaced and now I need a service on Stabilitrak. I am about ready to drive this damn car off a cliff. I will never buy Chevy again.

Un Equalnox
By William Rowles

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle has been very reliable, and durable. Got into a serious accident two years ago, not only was I not injured I drove it home. Now have 75,00 miles on it and have to replace the brakes soon, it still passed inspection, replaced the tires at 50,000 miles. Gas mileage for an SUV is very good, and although it's a little under powered it gets me where I have to go.

Reasonable SUV
By RGB

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Decent mileage, very few repairs. We were able to go 70000 before doing the first brake job and 60000 miles before replacing the original tires.