Skip to main content

Save as much as $2,471
Select your trim:
12345...7

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Good Budget Truck

Mormandy, 12/07/2020
2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 6.2 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

After two weeks with my Colorado LT 4 door V6 I can say that I really like the truck. PRO: Smooth, very quiet ride, no rattles. You sit up as high allowing for a great view. Great ground clearance, class-leading bed space and economy, strong engine V6. Great infotainment system and great sounding standard speakers / stereo. CON: Minimal knee space / leg room front and back. I've hit my knee on the lighting switch a few times and I really have to watch it when I get in (horrid location for that switch). Seats are a bit on the stiff side but not bad enough to be a problem. The headlights are pathetically weak, some of the worst out there. I purchased a full set of high and low beam LEDs from Alla, installed them myself, and that made a world of difference. Consider this a mandatory $139 upgrade if you like to see at night. Brake pedal started out a bit soft but nearing 750 miles it has begun to feel a bit more solid (the brakes do get the job done). Overall interior materials are cheap, and experience tells me that the type of long plastic air vents used here will break over time being moved around (I'm very gentle with them as a result). The HVAC blower is absurdly loud on the highest setting, but it does move a lot of air turned up that high and noise isn't an issue on lower settings. It may sound like I have a lot of negatives there for four stars, but overall I'm happy with the truck and understand that there's a reason that it costs 8-9 grand less than a similarly set up Silverado. The money here was clearly put into building a strong work-horse that rides as smooth and quietly as a luxury car, all in a shorter / thinner package (it's still quite tall). That came at the expense of cheaper interior components and knee space, but I'm OK with the balance Chevy struck here.

Problems almost immediately

PMAZE, 10/01/2021
2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.1 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I found this truck to be among the most attractive mid sized trucks but lacking in many safety features than other mid sized trucks provide as standard equipment. The first Safety feature to fail were the Air Bags. With less than 100 miles the “Restraint System “ failure warning occurred. Notified dealer they said it was likely a “cliche” the light did go out but was told if it comes on contact them immediately. It did and they gave me an appointment a week away. The light went out before the appointment. It’s happened now five times. Now with less than 1100 miles. The vehicle rarely used kept in a conditioned garage the “ Engine warning” light came on. Called the dealer who offered to do a “Code scan” they did and said the O2 Sensor is failing but instead of changing it theyncleared the code and said if it comes on again bring it back. The truck is idling rough and eating gas. This typically is an indication that the O2 sensor has failed. In 10 years with a Frontier it was never in the shop except for oil and filter changes. Not even the brakes wore out. Additionally the On board WiFI stopped working, the doors don’t close without slamming in the rear. The tailgate it supposed to be an easy release and if let go it slams open. The transmission on down shifting has a noticeable thud. All this with only 1100 miles in 7 months of ownership. Never off road and never driven in the rain

Riding High In Style

Fast Fly Freddy, 12/15/2020
2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 6.2 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Went from a Silverado Crew Cab to a 2021 Colorado Crew Cab and so far it was a great move for several reasons much better gas mileage easier to drive I am 80 years old little easier to get in and out of. You lose some room in the backseat but it’s a little easier in the front area too reach the glove box. So far so good with the trade you can’t beat Chevy that’s for sure. Very pleased.

The Colorado Work Truck Is Elegant Simplicity

Clarence, 11/02/2020
2021 Chevrolet Colorado Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In the old days, back when trucks were little more than an engine and seat, we called basic trucks "stripped down" versions. When I teased the salesman that this was stripped down, he self-righteously corrected me that it is a work truck. To GM's credit, and to his, he is right. It is more than just an engine and seat. But still it isn't for everyone. It lacks numerous creature comforts that people have become accustomed to, like power mirrors, power seats, climate control, and it even lacks an Onstar unit. Until now I thought GM put Onstar in everything. But on the brighter side, it has cruise control, air conditioning, and a bluetooth touch screen sound system. It has 2-wheel drive and a 2.5 liter four cylinder engine, which means reduced offroading and payloads. But it's no slouch. It has a six-speed transmission, will still pull 3500 pounds and the four cylinder engine produces 200 hp without a turbo. For those who don't know or don't remember, the antiquated 283 V8 with a single carb produced only 188 hp. Like I said, it's no slouch. And I love the curb appeal. It's a beautiful truck and allows me a lot of dignity. Bottom line, I live alone and share the truck with no one. I don't need electric seats or mirrors because they never move. I don't go offroad and I don't pull trailers. I'm an old retired guy that likes garage sales, and this truck gets my stuff home in style. It's perfect for me and for others like me.

Noisy

Jeff B, 11/05/2020
updated 01/19/2021
2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 6.2 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have had my Colorado for a month. It’s been in the shop for almost 2 weeks out of the month. The a/c compressor sounds like a jet plane. The truck has a vibration during highway speeds and really noticeable during deceleration. They tell me it’s normal. I traded a 2013 tacoma with a hundred thousand miles that didn’t have these problems. I love the style of the truck but there has to be some design flaws somewhere. I’m a certified diesel mechanic and this stuff just isn’t right. Now they want me to test drive another one to show me it’s normal. I drove 2 last week and neither made these noises. But because they were not the exact same model that doesn’t count. Well I went and drove another LT model that was just delivered. Not only did this truck have the vibration but it also had a wining noise that sounded like a siren coming from either the transmission or rear end. Was told by the lead technician at RK in Virginia Beach va that this truck sounds like the carrier bearing was bad. Colorado’s do not have carrier bearings. But these are the same people that tell me the vibrations in my truck are normal operating procedures of this vehicle. What a real joke. I have since hired a lawyer. Do yourself a favor, do not buy the Colorado. I regret I ever did.

12345...7