Used 2001 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

And it works well on snow.
By Al Seeger

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I really like it but I don't get good enough gas mileage, especially when compared to my 1994 Chrysler LHS. The Chevy Astro has Toyo A/T tires and they are great on snow. I can hardly believe how well I am getting around. I won't use cars until spring when the roads here are clean and dry. The Astro also starts nice in below 0 weather. Sometimes the window is stuck from ice when I go to the drive up window at the bank. Another thing about the Astro, I did not have to fix anything on it except to properly lock down the jack to prevent it rattling.

Useful but plain
By Mr. Rufener

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Astro’s greatest merit is its interior space. It has room for 8 large passengers plus considerable cargo. It is also the only newer minivan that can tow 4500 pounds. Otherwise, it’s a humdrum vehicle that delivers dependable, no-frills transportation. AWD, a common option, is valuable for driving in snow, but unfortunately doesn't work in reverse. It also reduces mileage by 2 mpg. Expect 13-17 mpg for an AWD model. The powertrain performance is adequate but doesn’t feel strong, and it’s noisy when pushed hard. The seats are only moderately comfortable, but they were improved in 2002. The Astro offers usefulness and value to owners willing to sacrifice modern design and performance.

Passenger and cargo space. 4500 lb. towing ability. AWD performance, good reliability record, convenience of "Dutch Doors" (innovative three-part rear door design with a top hatch and bottom swinging doors); overhead console with trip computer; easy-to-use (though cheap) controls on dash

Unresponsive handling, no sliding door on driver’s side, electronic latch on rear hatch sometimes sticks, high step-in height, wheel wells intrude into legroom of front seats, window defrost doesn’t keep up in cold weather

Trans. and rearend out at 72,000 miles
By mmfan56

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro we have owned, the other being a 1993 we sold at 170,000 miles with little problems; motor mounts,elec. wondows, etc. This van has been babied since we had it, but I tow a small trailer occasionally, with heavy loads. The trans never seemed to shift quite right, but Chevy dealer always said okay. Recently, noticed the rear starting to sing, especially, at 40 mph, off gas. Oil leakage around pinion seal, 1 pint low. Took to Aamco, bad rear and trans being repaired as I write this.

Nice vehicle to travel in, especially for two people.

Disappointed in life of transmission and rear.

Solid Van
By DJ

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 95 that only was in the shop a couple of times for non-maintenance work - a bad EGR valve and the exhaust system rusted out at 92k miles. Based on my experience I bought a new 2001. It's five years old and has 120k miles on it. I've had a few non-maintenance repairs. At around 50k miles the turn signal switch went out. This was a $450 repair but about three years later, GM had a recall on the switch and re-imbursed me. I installed new front shocks at around 70k miles. At about 105k miles the fuel pump went out. This cost $750 plus the towing!

Lots of room. Much more room than a small mini-van. Heavy duty vehicle compared to other minivans. A good value for the money. Plenty of power. The van can pull a trailer with no strain.

The quality on the 2001 was slightly lower than my 95. More rattles, interior trim items that came loose, etc.

Good Astro
By John

2001 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Astro but my first AWD. Even though the gas mileage is less with AWD, I find it holds the road better, especially wet roads. I would purchase another.

All the room inside and ease of driving.

Gas mileage