Used 2004 Cadillac SRX Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Cadillac SRX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SRX model:

Could have been a great car
By William

2004 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I love the looks and handling of my SRX. It's 13 years old now and holding up well with the exception of rust on the drivers side wheel well. I've noticed this on several others and the body shop believes it is caused by a poor factory seal between the inner and outer surface. The car is labeled a sports wagon and truly lives up to that name. The front seats are firm which I prefer but combined with the stiff suspension they can quickly become uncomfortable on roads that are anything other than flat and smooth. The dash has a nice layout compared to many newer vehicles with the exception of the heater controls which are located low in the center close to the console. They are loaded with many small buttons and digital readout. Seems easy enough to use but a simple adjustment like switching on the defroster or turning up the fan may require looking at the controls instead of the highway and I've discovered it can be dangerous taking eyes off the road with it's quick and responsive steering. The storage is great and its handled everything I've thrown at it over the years, which is a lot. The major drawback is the drivetrain. The 3.6 v6 motor has all the power I could ever ask for but I'm afraid to use it because these motors suffer from timing chain issues and there are three of them. Second to that is it's oil consumption. The motor requires 6 qts Mobil One and has always been thirsty for more which Cadillac considered normal. Thirsty btw has been anywhere from one qt per 800-1500 miles. The second major drivetrain problem is the transfer case chain. The supplier provided weak chains the first couple years of production and they are prone to stretching and slipping. At least the replacements are properly tempered. Repairs like spark plug, coil and injector replacement require the upper intake plenum be removed which adds to the cost of repairs. I was quoted $310.00 for spark plugs after the warranty was up so I learned to do it myself. Lastly, the car requires two different tire sizes which limits choices and rotating. The oem Goodyear's on mine ran close to $1000.00 mounted. I love this car, it's served me well, still looks and drives like new but I would never buy another.

Sigma Blue
By K. Brochard

2004 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had mine for 12 years. Currently at 184,00 mile brought it in 2006 with 24,000 miles for $24,000 from Carmax. Didn't start given problem unitil 165,00 miles.

Waste of money
By Robert

2004 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 180,000 miles and in the time it took me to go 4,000 i had to replace the power steering pump twice,the hoses for the power steering, all of the four camshaft position sensors, the alternator, the oil pump, and the oil pressure sensor. I thought i was getting a good deal on a nice vehicle, but i guess i would have been better off throwing the money down a pit.

WORST CAR EVER BUILT
By romojondro

2004 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have never owned a car with more problems than this. At 80k miles with a clean title this car started to fall apart. It leaked water in the passenger side, would turn off on the free way, had abs issues, needed a new starter, blown shocks, two bad headlights, water pump fell out of the car, veered off in directions it felt like at high speed, had electrical problems galore, cd player malfunctioned constantly. Dashboard cracked, defective airbags and over all a commuters nightmare/ death trap.

NOTHING, except the AWD and V8 Power

hahahahaha this car was so bad that I wouldn't drive a Cadillac even if it was given to me for free.

After another $1000.00 repair I traded
By jimm222

2004 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I thought I was doing my wife a favor, she drove 3 different Ford Explorer Sports for about 12 years. I told her I wanted to get her a different car and showed her a 2004 SRX. Well it was love at first sight, nice car all loaded up, we bought it. Well it does not, always, like to start when it is warm. She has been stranded several times and needed rescued. When it does this it will not turn over, will not shut down the electrical system and holds on to the key. I took it to my brother, a service director at Mercedes, and he sent me to a GM guy. The GM guy worried about it for several days and found some advice on the internet, he removed the 7.5amp fuse for the security system......Several more trips to a GM shop and way more spent ($1006.56 the last time) I traded it for a 2011 Cadillac SRX and it is perfect in every way.
I met the person that bought this car from the Cadillac dealer that I traded with. She has not had any problems except that something caused her and the car to drive it into a building causing about $5000. in damages. The 2011 SRX that I traded for has been spot ever since it's purchase.