Used 2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Awesome CTS!
By Joe Eskew

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

- solid, well built car - stylish, reliable, cost of maintenance very reasonable vs. my high end German exports that I own....

Money Pit
By Rafael

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car when I was 18, 7 years ago. It's been a money pit ever since I got it. Poorly made. Engine seized up 9 months after I got it (is always made sure oil changes were ahead of schedule). Luckily the warranty covered it....cool. It started making a noise in transmission, so I had to replace the flex plate and torque converter. Now my check engine light turned on and I have multiple cylinder misfires. Awesome, had to fix that. Now due to all the rain we've been getting, I'm finding at least 2 leaks and there's water EVERYWHERE! Now I have to drain all the water out and clean all the mold that's growing in my trunk and passenger side. Stay away from this car! You might have the same bad luck like I did.

Great car
By William lacina

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 05 cadillac cts sedan! It performs great on the road. With excellent acceleration and handling it is easily the best car I've owned. The quiet cabin is great! Hardly any road noise at all. It was a great buy as a used vehicle for me and my family. Perfectly reliable for over a year now too. No complaints.

Fun to drive but...
By Paul Shorts

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Jumped into this after 4 years of driving a Buick Century. Couldn't resist the feel and performance, and fun of the 6 speed manual. Had great luck with the cheap old Buick so I figured I'd be safe purchasing another GM product. Purchased the car with 92,000 miles and it looked and drove like new. Had all dealer service records so I thought I'd be safe. Whoops!

Pros - The car handles amazing, and is extremely comfortable and fun to drive.

Cons - At 105K a grommet on the gear shift went out. Could still get 1st - 6th gears fine, but couldn't put it in reverse. $300 part, but Cadillac was out of them, and nothing aftermarket was available. Had to drive for 2 months with no reverse while waiting for the part. Sortly after purchase I noticed I was having fairly high oil consumption. Never had a car do this so I contacted Cadillac. Told them I was burning 2.5 quarts per 5000 miles. I was told by a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer that "that's really low consumption for the 3.6 motor". Now with 170K miles on it, it's using 1.5 - 2 quarts every 1000 miles. At 126K the motor broke a valve. Needed a full valve / upper motor job. $3500! At around 125K the traction control / ABS started acting up. Traction control engages when not needed, and occasionally the ABS engages when stopping, which can be a little scary. Transmission started leaking at about 125K. Too expensive to fix, so just keep adding oil to the MT when I change the oil. At 150K the brake lights quit working. Turns out it's a problem with the wiring loom. Repair was ridiculous so I just re wired it myself direct from the relay to the brake lights. Right catalytic converter now needs to be replaced. Can't get an inexpensive aftermarket cat in California. Going to be dumping this "beauty" as a non-op when it's time to get it smogged. Still can't believe that my cheap old Buick ran so well and never had a problem, and the sweet Caddy has literally been a piece of junk.

ownership and it woes
By linda lawson

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

bought my 2005 cts and drove it 3800 miles and it used 5 quarts of oil just about ruined the engine had I not decided to do an early service the engine would have been shot. I have been around cars and worked on them all my life and I have yet to understand this excessive oil consumption as being normal. I have owned several gm products and this is the first one I have had with this problem. would I buy another one no way. gm needs to man up and fix this problem and not charge the consumer who spent their hard earned money to buy a car they thought was going to be reliable. no wonder people are turning to Honda and other cars. bad when you have to carry oil in the trunk of your cadallic. im not the only one check internet. when you ask dealers about the problem they say thats the first they have heard of problem. i say bull