Used 1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Catera for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Worst Car I Ever Owned

nestornajwa, 01/17/2013
4dr Sedan

I bought a new 97 Catera in late 1997, thinking I was getting a good deal with discounts/rebates. Catera was not without its virtues. It handled very well, had a fun sport suspension setting and was pretty comfortable. I overlooked the bland styling. None of these things mattered when the car began falling apart within weeks. First, the gas tank was removed to fix a broken sensor. Soon after, a gasket blew. Then the fuel pump died. The most persistent problem was with the door locks, which malfunctioned often and prevented the doors from closing. Lindsay Cadillac service (VA) was terrible, with many return visits for door locks. All of this happened within about 16 months of purchase.

Reliable, but can have costly repairs

map64, 10/21/2011
4dr Sedan

Bought in '02 with 36K miles for $7K ($32K new in '97. 136K miles/9+ years later, can't complain. Spent $800 on leaking oil cooler, timing belt/tensioner warranty replacement, $300 on timing belt replacement at 106K miles, $70 twice to replace heater control valve and $100 on oxygen sensor. Got climate control module for $25 to replace defect. Serviced spark plugs, trans fluid and brake pads. The timing belt is due to be changed in the next 10K or so. The only annoying thing to me is the electrical gremlins like the TC/ABS lights and the radio shutting off if the volume is too loud. If you do the work yourself, this can be a fun car to own because it has never left me on the side of the road

Cadillac Catera 97

_catera97_, 04/18/2012
4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car. Yes it has a few problems we are going to have to work on. But my dads psycho ex girlfriend parked it in the grass and took the chip out of the key. That's the reason for most of the problems. It is a 15 year old car, so yes it's going to have other problems to. But before it was taken off the road because of the crazy psycho it was running fine. The ride is smooth just like a Cadillac should ride, the Bose stereo system is beyond amazing and the speed and look of the car fits my personallity to a key. This car is one of the most amazing cars I have ever seen.

catera

lindsay12345, 05/30/2004
4dr Sedan

This car has so many great features on it and currently (5/04) can be bought for a pretty low price compared to others in its class (but repairs will be just as expensive). I've been very satisfied with it mechanically but there have been some electrical problems. I am concerned though as a current owner about how quickly its value has gone down.

So Sad for Cadillac

Kimberly, 06/04/2008
4dr Sedan

Bought this car used for my daughter. HUGE mistake, looks are deceiving! It wasn't enough that the salesman saw us coming and I paid nearly $3000 for what the car was worth, I've put so much money into repairs that I could have bought myself a BMW! Two months after owning it, the trans went, then a sensor that controls the gears, then the whole dash went out, brake lights which was electrical. It was $850 for a tune up, a hose that cost $700, several electrical problem, too many to mention. I am now selling it, really cheap!!!!! And yes, I've lost money on this car big time!

12345...14