Used 1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

#89 of 200 Silver Arrow Rivi rare find
By Rusty Johnston

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

After having owned a 1995 and currently owning two 1999 Rivi's I had to see if I could find a Silver Arrow in good condition still on the road. Buick only produced 1956 Rivieras in its final year of production with the last 200 being the Silver Arrow editions. These included special embroidered headrests and floor mats. A custom car cover. A Silver Arrow badge for both sides of the exterior and dash. My online search took me to a Buick chatboard where I found one in Detroit. The previous owner was looking for someone that would appreciate this car as it is and not lower it, put 20's on it and kicker speakers. I was their man! After some negotiations I found myself with a one-way ticket to Detroit to bring this rare find home to Kentucky. I had found a 15 year old "new car" with only 6538 miles on it. Today I have 33,300 miles on it because I have decided to drive and share it and not hide it under that custom cover in a garage. Aside from window tinting, Bluetooth GPS Stereo and LED headlights, this is stock as it rolled off the line. This Riviera Silver Arrow is one fine ride~~

Patience ... It's a Future Collector's Car
By Warren Kendrick

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This car has classic, superior styling reminiscent of Rivieras dating back to 1955. When I drive it, it still turns heads and people are amazed that it is 17 years old. I have decided to park it, with a car cover, and drive it perhaps 5 or 6 times a year, maybe take it on an occasional extended trip. Why all the fuss?

Only about 1,900 1999 Rivieras were ever manufactured. It was the last model year. Time becomes an enemy and friend as more and more of these cars are in accidents, rust out in the northern states or whose dashboards literally melt in the Arizona sun and whose paint and clearcoat fade. As they age, there will be fewer and fewer for collectors. I was blown away at how much the 1950's models are going for.

There are other plusses and minuses:
+++ Styling. Its looks far surpass most current models.
+++ 3.8L SuperCharged engine. This is an almost indestructible V6 as long as the owner has the oil changed and has other maintenance performed. The SC snout bearings wear out but repair kits are widely available. Expect to get 150,000 miles from the engine before you get it overhauled or rebuilt.
+++ Surprisingly, this car does quite well in highway driving, about 26MPG. If you are chasing the fairer sex, it should get 10 to 12 "gals per mile" in city driving.
+++ The rear bench seating is surprisingly roomy for a coupe, and it is as comfortable as a first class seat on a commercial jet.

- - - 2 door coupes have been out of favor for years. That tends to hold down resale prices if you are currently just looking for transportation. It's a price you pay for head-turning styling.
- - - Premium fuel is recommended, but I ran a 1995 SC Riviera on regular gas for years with no problems.
- - - All GM cars have had trouble with the use of cheaper, thinner leather that starts to show wear about 80-90,000 miles and on some Buicks the leather cracks and you are looking at a $300 reupholstery job for each front bucket seat.

Luxury Car
By Madstabber

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Have had this Riv for a couple months and the only problems have been the serpentine belt which defies logic by going through an engine mount and a disconnect in the passenger door handle. Car has every comfort feature for its time and the hightest guzzling Supercharger is a blast to jump on. Glad it's not a 4 door. Just perfect for this bald old fatman.

Heated leather seats, Bill Porter styling, Infinity speakers, supercharger.

I hope my car "lives" forever!
By JoJoe

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I second the emotion of the owner who saidi "How could they stop selling this car?" Perhaps it is because everyone these days or maybe GM didn't market didn't market it right. I have always driven two-doors and this is my third Riviera. If anything happens to this car I will be in mourning!

I am nearly 70 years old and I still get a kick out of having kids pull up next to me, look the car over and rev their engines. I don't embarrass them by racing them.

I've said it many times before: they have thought of everything on this car. The only thing I miss sometimes is the touch-screen computer that was on my '89.

Classic
By Lillian

1999 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I love the body style,acceleration,interior design. Pearl exterior,lghtgray interior.Beautiful! Very comfortable car, luxury but sporty.I especially like how low to road it is and its wide wheel base.This car will go! I would love to buy another, the closest ive found to this body style was a jaguar. Makes me wonder why it was discontinued. Car is on the larger side, but you only realize it trying to park in small areas. Does not make sharp u-turns. Other than that this is the best car ive ever purchased. I am looking to purchase a convertable and am shocked that the blue book value for the riveria is less than 4k. NO WAY! Maybe i don't need a different car after all. Happy with what I have

Seat warmers, NICE! wood grain like dash. wide wheel base.

Same car just make it with a hard top retractable convertable