Used 2002 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Steady as she goes
By Rj

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4 th review since buying my x5 3.0 2002. Just put in 7k after 5 k five years ago. 12k total so about 2.5 per year. But this include tires a broken sun roof due to a golf ball and of course oil changes. With no payments this yearly cost is worth it as the vehicle is a great German platform with classic BMW design and ride. Exterior is new as the paint never wears down! Had to replace floor mats and cover front leather seats but the car still an undeniable appeal for car lovers. Will keep it going and promised my son he will get this beauty in due time! I am 70 years old and both me and my beemer may be older but we are still looking good!

Fun- waste of money- you’ll go broke real quick
By Shayla

2002 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

First car? Terrible idea!! Bought this car from a dealership for a good deal as my first car, it being a very safe on. Super spacious, comfortable, nice enterior and exterior. But don’t get me started on the repairs on this honestly piece of junk. Tires had to be replaced, altinator broke and cost me $800, window broke out of no where, so many engine problems, battery problems, burns oil, car door handle broke, car lock broke, both car keys died— that’s not even all I could go on. The amount of money I’ve spent just repairing this car I probably could have bought a house. Finally trading it in and getting something worth it- this car NOT worth it.

A+++ X5 BMW SUV
By A B

2002 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My X5 BMW SUV has lasted me 14 years with minimum repairs of tear and wear. It's not bad on gasoline and it is beyond safe. I absolutely love it and will pass it on to my son when he is ready to drive.

BMW - The ultimate Money Pit - Bee Emm TroubleYou
By A. Goncalves

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased 2002 BMW X5 back in early 2012 with 85K on the odometer. One owner vehicle. It's been a long and sad 4 years. Currently at 122K.
List of issues: Instrument cluster was pixelated, used "BMW's good faith" one time repair to fix it. From then on, it's one thing after another. Poor tire reliability, need to replace tires every other year (every 10K or so) even after having the alignment done multiple times and buying quality tires. 2 window regulators replaced. Inside drivers door handle broke, fixed it, 2 weeks later, outside door handle broke, same door. Factory radio stopped working, replaced with aftermarket Kenwood head unit w/Navigation. Power Steering reservior cracked and leaking, had to replace it. Now it gets fun....

Transmission and transfer case literally blew chunks all over the highway at around 105K miles, paid 5 grand to fix it. Then had to replace tie rods and other misc. suspension parts. Temp sensor and thermostat failed, had to replace those along with water pump. Currently in the shop to replace manifold parts due to Service Engine Soon light. I know it's an older vehicle and repairs would be frequent, but I was under the impression that a fine German automaker like BMW would be rock solid, but stupid little things like the door handles breaking? Oh, and the engine burns a quart of oil ever 1200 miles or so, they say it's normal....really? I have heard to never own a German vehicle out of warranty/above 60K miles, I can now see why.

Yeah I know....but It's my wife's vehicle and she loves driving it, hence why I dumped so much money into it to keep her happy. When it runs, it's quick, has a lot of room and the ride is very nice. The leather interior is great, but mechanically it's just falling apart. I have owned various Toyota and Nissan vehicles and they never had issues like this... My 14 year old Corolla only needed a Starter in the entire time of ownership.

Will never, ever buy another BMW again.

X5 4.6is Fun, but expensive
By darkside80

2002 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2nd X5 - a 2002 BMW X5 4.6is with 120k miles on it.
After two weeks of owning the transmission failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $4k.
The dealer wanted $8k to replace, but did work with me on the installation of the rebuilt one I found online.
The vehicle is powerful and fun to drive, but I've spoken with other owners who have experienced tranny failure, so this may be a systemic issue.
My first X5 was a 2001 3.0 and I did not have any issue with it.

Handling and performance

Better sound system and transmission