2021 BMW X3 Hybrid Consumer Reviews

$49,600

Save as much as $2,952
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Lovin' my x30e PHEV

BMW Appreciator, 02/22/2021
xDrive30e 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

After years in sedans, I transitioned to an SUV. My 3rd BMW and I love how they drive, the 2021 x30e is even more fun. It's loaded with amenities and I'm having fun with the plugin. Got the Exec package and loving all features - ACC, electronics, LDW seems more like LKA on highway (not sure if that is a BMW thing), racing seats, heated front/rear, pano roof. It's quick, taut and enjoyable. All in a smaller package so I can park it in front of my office and not feel self-conscious. A real winner.

Quick acceleration and great gas mileage

Rob, 05/15/2021
xDrive30e 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

First BMW I've owned but very happy. Got the 2021 30e hybrid since it was $1200 less than the 30i with tax credit. Very quiet with nearly instant acceleration. Fun. Can pass cars and trucks on highway with easy, even starting at 70+ mph. Have been getting 40-65 mpg on short trips (50-100 miles) without really trying, but drops to low 30's on long 200-400 mile trips. I hardly buy it any gas. Worried about its 320 mile limited range but has been more like 350-400 so has not been an issue. Nearly always get more than 20+ mile electric range. Very comfortable on longer drives. Bought in part due to its IIHS crash numbers which rank among the best. Got several options (parking assist, drivers assist pro, Premium package) which bumped the price up $6k but feel it was worth it. With 6k mileage, no issues yet.

Volvo to BMW - great upgrade

wbm, 07/26/2021
xDrive30e 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

We had a Volvo S60 Inscription - nice car, but small details, such as no roof rack, and small trunk after installing a spare tire mean that it was not suitable for long trips. We looked at the XC60 hybrid, but with no spare, it did not seem ready for camping trips (we did use the spare on the Volvo - it paid for itself first time when we had a flat on the way to the airport on an interstate...). The BMW has run flat tires, which may not be optimal, but they at least allow one to get off a dangerous auto route when one has a flat. We have now put in 2000 miles on short and long trips on the BMW. Overall, we found the BMW X3 hybrid with executive package to be more refined than the Volvo - great handling, lots of power, comfortable, quiet, nice sound system, android auto works so one can use google maps. In terms of gas mileage, I assume the EPA 24 mpg comes from gas only. However, the hybrid system seems to work well, and without charging, we are getting consistently around 32 mpg (same as the S60, which is a sedan), so the range in practice is about 420 miles. At home, we get around 18-20 miles per change on electric only, and so we rarely buy gas when not on a trip (got a Mustart charger that plugs into the dryer outlet - charging is 4 hours). Finally, as others have pointed out, the car has great safety numbers. A Gripe: With the kick opening of trunk means the BMW hitch does not work, and one has to use a stealth hitch, which works well. However, with a bike rack installed, one has to be careful with both the kick opening (which can open and hit the rack), and backing up - need to turn off parking, otherwise car slams on brakes since it thinks the hitch is a wall. Since bikes stick out, the lane warning light is often on. Would be handy if there was bike rack detection or setting. Overall, we are very happy with the car, and just have to learn to turn off the park assist when backing up with bikes...