Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews

535xi 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (16 reviews )

My 20th BMW since 1972!
By P.Y. Maida

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I love BMW's. And I love wagons. I always buy them used and usually with over 80K miles due to my budget. Had a 2006 530xi and loved it except for the lack of acceleration. The 2008 with the twin turbo 535xi is my perfect wagon except........there are a few issues which must be looked at or taken onto account when buying a used 535xi wagon. The original issues with the fuel pumps and turbos either showed up and were addressed somewhere before 50K miles or they will not show up (faults that is, normal wear and tear will always be an issue). Faulty comfort access on the 2006 530xi cost me $1400. but my 535xi is perfect. Rear hatch lift motor should be tested prior to purchase. Also the rear cargo window switch which has a habit of shorting due to lack of sealing. Easy fix but these things can mount up. I had a 540it 2003 with M package which was my favorite car of all time but my 535xi has more HP and get and go , is 4 wheel drive, all the tech goodies and gets much better MPG. Perrrrrfect! My new favorite.

up dated review 06/2017
Still lovin it!.
Standard sunroof seal leak (wind noise only) and while I was prepared to do the diy which required removing both glass panels, a strip of electrical tape stopped the noise and doesn't show (much). All else is great. More than enough get up and go, handles like a sports car, safe in the wet and I average over 20mpg. A real sleeper with no badges (we don't need no stinking.....) to declare my 300hp.

The BEST CAR EVER
By Suzanne Knowlton

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned all sorts of luxury vehicles in my life, and I am not a young chicken! This car drives like a luxury sedan. Even better. Its' big, comfortable, fast, gets good gas mileage and performs better than any other car I've owned. The problem is they no longer make it! Big problem for BMW. You can get one in Europe. In fact, you see them all over the European countryside.

German joy
By John kardashian

SAAAAAADDDD BMW owner
By Annie

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used with a clean car fax in 2010 with less than 15000 miles. I bought an extended warranty just in case. I spent 8 month researching vehicles i would like to own and keep for 10 years. I have made a very poor decision. The maintenance cost on this vehicle will exceed its worth. It's been fun to drive, a very comfortable car with decent gas mileage. However, when I've taken it in for service, it's like sleeping with the devil. Goodbye emergency fund and hello credit card debt. It's the most disappointing feeling to love a car so much and be saddled with such repair bills. Fuel injectors replaced, water pump, thermostat, numerous hoses and vacuum hoses, and now replacing turbos and catalytic converters all before 90,000 miles. Not good resale either!!!

Fun to drive, but unreliable
By lindy62

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many German AWD cars, after the Audi S4, this is the most fun to drive. That being said, it is not the most fun to own. I have had numerous mechanical issues and even more electronic issues. I have heard a few complain about the battery. I have switched to an Optima battery, which is cheaper and lasts longer. I have heard that BMW knew about his battery draining issue before they release it, but decided to replace the batteries instead of fixing the issue. The VANOS system had a glitch out east, oiling system out west, sparkplug in the Midwest, and a constant brake issue. I am afraid to open the sunroof for fear that it will not close properly and I’ll have to take it apart and manually close it. The parking assist doesn’t work at all and when it had worked it was over sensitive. Our front windshield was replaced and I still can’t get the intermittent wipers to work properly. The transmission seems to be slipping and I am not willing to spend the money to replace it. If it was repaired at a BMW dealer, it would total the car. Found out the differential bearing is bad and the unit has to be replaced not the bearing (a $5,000 job). Nothing is cheap to replace on the car and local shop don’t have the tools or electronics to work on it, so I have to drive 6 hours to fix something and spend big money on labor and parts. If someone else besides BMW fixes something (like the brake pads) the dealer will not turn off the warning light, because they did not do the work, even though they say it was a good job.
On the bright side, it gets good mileage for the performance. It rides well, but I feel it is too soft. The backend wiggles on slick roads when it hits a bump at speed and that can be a bit unnerving. There is a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down and have used it as a makeshift tent in bad weather (as long as the sunroof doesn’t leak). The interior has held up well and the body hasn’t rusted. Would not buy one again, because of the reliability issues.