Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW VALUES $ MORE THAN LIVES
By Trish Majors

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I special ordered a 2008 BMW 528i. It was a fun car to drive-the only pro. I had problems with the fuel pump (thank God while still under warranty). I took it into D-Patrick in Evansville, IN where I purchased the car. The service department agreed that the fuel pump was weak and had been a common problem with this vehicle. However, they said it wasn't "far enough gone" to warrant replacement by BMW. I took it in 2 or 3 times, being told the same thing each time. The fuel pump went out on me during rush hour traffic as I had just got on the approach to a bridge (in the left lane). The car lost ALL POWER! By the grace of GOD, I had barely enough speed to crest the hill on the bridge and coast down the other side & managed to get through traffic to pull to the right shoulder of roadway & wait for tow truck. When I notified D-Patrick's BMW service department, I was told that BMW designed the vehicle to shut down "to preserve the engine". However, service department NEVER mentioned this would happen either time I had brought it in for this problem. My question to them was "What about preserving my life and the lives of whomever could have been with me when the fuel pump went out? One would think, this would have been important information to share with me one of the times I took it in for problems with the fuel pump. They did replace it. However, SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT A FEW WEEKS LATER. Needless to say, I sold the car at a huge loss of $ due to the lack of safety for me & my family. Had I known this was BMWs design, I WOULD HAVE NEVER PURCHASED THE CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE!

If you love staring at an engine light..
By Craig B

2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car glides when you drive it BUT the electronics are for crap. The bluetooth never holds a call, the sunroof will not fully close unless you play with it and be prepared for numerous exterior light changes. This series is very fickle and needs CONSTANT dealership attention. The repair costs are triple those of a less luxurious car and there is ALWAYS something that needs fixing. Time/Value/Money should have you looking elsewhere unless you are either buying a brand new, leasing one or you yourself enjoy test driving loaner cars while the car you bought is endlessly being serviced.

Flashy but Weak!!!
By Alex

2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is not reliable at all. High maintenance cost. Frequent mechanical visits. Parts expensive. Rear leg room is terrible. Brake are loud & dusty. Electric issues are often

Oil Level Gauge Failed Requiring a New Engine
By Mark

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Loved the car, had the oil changed two months ago and the level indicator in the iDrive, plus the low level warning both failed to indicate that oil had leaked out through a failing seal. Level showed nearly full and checked it every time I fueled. Heard a knocking one day and then froze on the highway causing a major safety issue, towed it in after getting stuck in a construction zone with no spare lanes, the shop said there was only one quart of metal shavings oil left. Car needs a new engine at 160,000 miles. Huge mistake taking the dipstick out of the car. This is a huge mistake on BMWs part. My last 528i got 220,000 miles before trade and was as good as new.

Performance sleeper
By neal starr

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I own a repair shop, so I did the repairs myself. Be careful buying from someone that did not maintain the engine. The engines will build carbon deposits on the intake valves. The injectors need to be updated. If it has an oil leak at the filter housing, have it fixed it can cause the drive belt to come off and get sucked into the oil pan . That is expensive to fix.