Used 2012 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Drives Like a Dream
By Terry Dorr

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Reasonably priced vehicle that drives like a dream. However, the car's blind spots create a lack of visibility that can be scary when I forget to take extra care to turn and look, not just rely on my mirrors. Many of the electronics are unnecessarily duplicated, which I found annoying. Having problems with engine light, parking lights and door locks, all because of electrical issues. Still, when you step on the gas or the brakes, take a curve or pass another car, you can trust that you will get where you're going with ease.

M3's little brother
By Frank Bodoni

2012 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car was a pleasure to drive but what really disappointed me was the trade in value. Now this car was in perfect condition with 31,000 miles on it with a sticker price close to $60,000!!!! The dealer on trade offered me less than $10,000. I will never buy a BMW again.

Brilliant BMW 328i convertible
By Richard Vaughan

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Check rear shocks.

Extremely disappointed
By Gordo

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second BMW; my first was a MY 2006 325i that I bought new. This time I decided to get a CPO 2012 328i. I have had the car for about 45 days; it has been in the shop for 15 of those days. It needed: A NEW TIMING BELT (after I was told that the blender-like noise the engine was making was "normal" until I took it back to the dealer to investigate it further), an new window regulator, a new seat belt latch, re-charged AC, and crack in the instrument panel plastic covering the instruments. A week later I had to take it BACK because the steering wheel was making a load groaning noise when turned, and the stereo intermittently recognizes that I have a CD in the player or my iPhone connected to the USB. Sometimes I have to go without music on the wonderful upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo until the system decides to reset itself. The dealership still cannot diagnose this issue.

Also, the only way to drive this car is to leave it in "Sport" mode. The default "Comfort" mode makes the car feel like a 1980's-era Cadillac-all floaty and bouncy on the highway. Steering and handling are tops in Sport mode, though.

Overall I'm disappointed in the quality. I had the 2006 325i for 5 years, and had ZERO issues other than the sunroof not wanting to close from time to time. I put 102,000 miles on it and only did basic maintenance-no unexpected warranty visits. Thank tha LAWD I got the extended warranty with this CPO (Certified Piece Of _____). I had a Mercedes C300 and Volvo S60 in the interim of the BMW's and getting this car-sad to say, I think I may go back to either one of them.

Beautiful car inside and out, though.

Base suspension is awful
By danmoch

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just returned my 2012 328i with around 30,000 miles at the end of a 3 year lease. Although the 2.0 liter twin scroll turbo engine has plenty of power and the 8 spd automatic transmission was great, the base suspension was so soft and unsettled that just driving the car made me nauseated. This was my 6th BMW and suspension wise, the worst. Early on in the lease period, I changed to sport springs which made a big improvement in handling. Near the end of the lease, I changed back to the OEM springs and couldn't wait to return the car.

Responsive engine and transmission. Great gas mileage, especially on long trips. I averaged 34 MPG between SF Bay Area and the Tahoe basin round trip, even more than the EPA estimate.

The base suspension needed improving badly. Stiffer, progressive springs and better dampers would go a long way. The adjustable sport suspension might be better. Base seats lack lumbar support, and the synthetic material feels cheaper than Mercedes' synthetic.