Used 1999 Audi A6 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Audi A6 Wagon Consumer Reviews

2.8 Avant quattro 2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )

Not Audi's best work.
By Hans W

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

First, lets just get the bad stuff out of the way. I have been a mechanic for 30 years, and there are some things that were done with this car that makes me think it was designed and assembled by retards. The compartment aft of the engine (where battery is) fills up to the top with water and i guess Audi never thought that anything like leaves or dirt might just get in a clog those microscopic drain hole in that compartment, had the problem 3 times, finally got pissed to the point taking a chance and drilling a 1" hole in the bottom of it. That also causes water in the carpet area, which then leads to expensive electronic modules stopping to work, which are located under where your feet rest in the front seats. STUPID!!! ----- Next, they built the exhaust so the heat shields fail prematurely and they attached the exhaust hangers which are spot welded to the heat shields! So that falls off the car and gets wrecked resulting in a $1,700 bill. DUMB!!! ------Next, Their bodywork for a German car appears to be way below BMW. This car had surface rust all over the typical areas at 124k miles, that is unacceptable for a car built in 1999. -----Front Suspension? Parts are GARBAGE, wears out very quickly, every inspection it needs a new upper front or rear A-arm. Next--- LCD information screen in dash, POS! Also fails prematurely on most of these cars. I could have bought a Corolla and got better in the engineering department ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Good-: Handles well, accelerates good, brakes are just okay for this weight car.

A6 forever
By Mart pick

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Like an old pair of shoes you love. This car has a casual elegance to it.

Pleasant Surprise
By Bob

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Lots of bang for the buck in mechanics, body, interior and creature comforts - and they all have worked with no trouble. No exterior noise at any speed, some gear noise at 35-45, handles precisely, always starts first time. Auto leveler works for any weight - up to cement bags and block filling rear. Designed and works for smooth driving; gas efficiency is great for heavy car when alert to traffic lights and with light foot on brake and gas pedals. Cruises without effort, and rpm to spare for passing. Roof rack needs better connectors/tie-down points + paint protection. Headlight washers/rear wiper and defroster all still work well. Stable in ice/snow/slush/mud. Wife loves heated seats!

No exterior or body noise. Load-leveler keeps headlights and handling consistent. Very stable on curves, rough pavement, sharp avoidance of potholes. Sound system works great. Wide seat adjustment range and comfortable. Excellent cargo space for overall size - better than most SUVs I've seen.

Plastic interior components flimsy. Get rid of rubber timing belt. Attention to rust protection at roof seams. Eliminate gear noise at 35-45. Cruise control more intuitive, with set and resume controls matching. Improve power/weight ratio with better fuel efficiency in stop-go conditions.

Best possible winter car
By Nelson

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I just purchased one of these last summer after my 1988 Jeep stopped working, and this has been a far superior Colorado winter vehicle than anything I've ever driven in the past, including an Explorer and my Jeep. The bad news: I have spent almost $4,000 in repairs since I bought it in June. The coolant fan tends to burn out on these around 90k miles, and I purchased mine at 93k. However it is now a solid car that I should at least get another 60- 70k miles out of. Don't purchase these if you can't afford the repair bills. However, if you can, these are some of the best. Winter safety was my primary reason for making this purchase, and it easily outperforms local favorites Subaru and Volvo.

V6 great for mountain driving, sunroof/moonroof is nice, excellent AWD and low center of gravity (perfect for icy conditions), lots of legroom front and rear, comfortable leather. Classy interior up front. Repair may be expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Other parts of the interior are cheap in quality. My rear hatch looks like it exploded on the inside. I don't think my heated seats work anymore. But, clearly these are first-world problems.

Costly to Own
By Robin

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Read before buying. I bought the car for dependability and I have been in the shop more than anyone I know with what people consider lesser cars. I have replaced all ball joints (twice over) and I do not drive hard, replaced rotors, breaks. The heated, tinted mirrors are peeling on one side. Some interior items just broke at a touch. Went thru a period of the car starting randomly, currently revisiting that problem again. The dash diplay fades out. The car had low mileage when I purchased it and had been maintained by the previous owners. Thanking myself for not selling my old car as it has been there for me when the Audi fails. I do not think I would buy one again, not impressed.

Heated seats are nice. When the car is working correctly it does ride very nice.

Better quality, dependable parts. Seems like you need a big pocket to own these cars.