Used 1998 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love Hate Relationship
By CWater

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is so much fun to drive. I bought mine used after 5-7 owners previously, and believed it to be great for the amount of work that had been put into it over the years, but I was wrong. If only i'd been able to see the future. I bought the car in May of 2017, and it is March of 2018. So far, there have been over $2100 in repairs, and there is still more to be done. At 20 years old, some of it is understandable, but the seats are not comfortable for the 4 hours car trips I take, and all parts cost extremely high. An MAF sensor for a Ford is around $40, but for Audi - $180. If you are considering buying it, look at the axles, and if there is a significant amount of rust on the exhaust, or a rough idle, do not buy it. Hope this helps, but for all its worth, I loved this vehicle.

The old ones are more fun
By Joe Morris

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

It is fun to drive. Very peppy engine (V6, 5 valves per cylinder) and very slick shifting 5 spd. transmission. Great road holding. Short turn radius for an AWD car. Not as luxurious as a current A4, or even A3, but a lot more fun to drive.

Love my German machine
By Paul Galob

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

You cant go wrong with an Audi

Daily Driven & Canyon Carved
By AudiBrüh

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car 2 years ago with 195000 miles on it for $2500... now I got it as a winter beater and its sole purpose was for me to have some fun in the snow. Jump 24 months later and it's almost like I have a 3rd child, I absolutely love this car! Okay so let me start off by saying that the car was not perfect when I got it. Be weary of coil packs and suspension components on this car. I knew what I was getting into, because I've owned german cars before and follow car tuning forums. So if you're looking to buy this car, please get it with a carfax and buy from a responsible person. The previous owner of my car had it for 12 years and kept it completely stock! Since I've had it, I've upgraded to coilovers and had a performance chipped installed as well as a new diverter valve. I did all the preventative maintenance for the car the very first month I got it. Regardless of what the previous owner told me.. I redid the oil change, I rotated the tires and realigned the car. I also had the car checked out by an independent Audi Specialists who personally gave me the thumbs up. Without going into detail, I spend an additional 3k on top of the 2.5K on the car just to make sure it was in top shape. Some of you may think I'm crazy.. but here's the deal, at the end of the day I got a 200hp turbo, all wheel drive, stick shift, german car for $5500 with no check engine lights, no oil leaks, no ABS issues, no airbag lights... no regrets! The car is an absolute blast to drive, what's so great about it, is that you won't catch any attention and you won't have a car that looks like everyone has one. In my opinion the car looks beautiful and is so very simple. BTW I've driven this car on Angeles Crest on many occasions and not once has it ever over heated or gave me trouble. Excellent car for tuners and a great car for someone who just wants to have a fun driving experience with the added safety of the quattro system. Before I conclude this brief review, I must let everyone know that this car will treat you right BUT you must treat it right, meaning you must keep it fed with premium gas as well as use only synthenic oil and OEM fluids. Please please please don't cheap out on these things. My Audi as 210000 miles and is still on the original stock turbo.

2.8l Quattro
By theburchyfeel

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love my a4. I bought it used over a year ago, and haven't had too spend TOO much money fixing it up. Of course, some things have gone wrong, but thanks to a large internet owner's community, you can easily fix many problems yourself if you are willing to learn some DIY. I have never once regretted buying it.

IMO, it is very fun to drive and never gets old. While not a rally car by any means, it has more than enough power to get you where you need much faster than you probably should get there. Overall, mine has been pretty reliable; I fixed the headlight switch myself for less than 10$, and I am getting ready to replace a leaky gasket and a stripped tie rod (both around 100$). The ride is great, the steering feels sharp, and the interior looks brilliant. Or at least it did before the previous owner smashed up the plastic console covers which cost $170 to replace.

It really doesn't get good gas mileage, which works in my favor because it means I can convince my friends with more efficient cars to drive when we are all going somewhere. The headlights are nearly useless (assuming mine are OEM), the engine can be difficult to get around and work on, and the terrible cup holders were clearly designed by people who only drank beer and were therefore not allowed to bring their beverages in cars with them. There is also an annoying whispering sound produced by the A/C (which is quite good), but you get used to it. The car is low, and because the oil pan is located at the bottom of the front of the car, you need to be careful about hitting bumps too hard.