Used 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A3 Sportback e-tron model:

Like-New 2016 Audi A3 e-Tron
By G Hayao

2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback 1.4 TFSI PHEV Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

With the new Audi e-Tron Cross-over coming out soon, I found a great plug-in hybrid for less than half the projected price of the upcoming e-Tron, and with mileage under 10000 miles! I love this car, with how it rides, and you can’t beat the “gas” mileage! However, getting in and out would be difficult if I weren’t short to begin with. That’ really the only drawback.

2016 A3 E-tron
By Jackie White

For a hybrid it is the best on the market next to a Tesla. Luxury feel, fuel efficiency, responsiveness, and a good looking car.

Battery Range is 10-12 miles
By Tom F.

If you're buying this car because it has a battery, consider something else. If you drive this care like it's an Audi you can expect 10-12 miles/charge. If you drive it like a Chevy then maybe you can 15-16 miles/charge. Handles fine; sits really low to the ground. o visibility isn't great.

A3 e-Tron Prestige Review - Nice Car!
By FozCat

2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback 1.4 TFSI PHEV Prestige 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Update Jul 2018
Just completed 25000 mile service, there was a battery software update performed at no charge during visit. The tires are wearing quicker than I would have expected (Contiental EcoPro?) but other than that no issues. Charging cable issue went away, and dealer can't duplicate the minor cold squeaking issue yet, but there are 20K miles of warranty left. Fuel economy was the same, just over 50mpg combined with 49% battery and 51% gas, we did several long 11 hour drives. Looking at the resale value, it has dipped quite a bit for the 3rd year, which what Edmunds predicted, my guess it would increase (less depreciation) as the price of gas goes up and people get rid of SUV's. Overall we are still satisfied with the car.

Update January 2018
Have owned the car 13 Months and it now has 17000 miles. The car is charged nightly and averages a little over 52 MPG overall with the the MMI indicating a little over 51% gas motor/49% electric motor. The car has two issues that need too be addressed in a service appointment next week. First the front end creaks and squeaks over bumps, especially noticeable when slow. Second, there is an issue with either the charging cable or the charging system as intermittently the car will only partially charge after being plugged in, to about 1/2 charge.
Overall, we still like the car and find it a good value, and cancelled out Tesla M3 reservation.

Update July 2017
Have owned the car for 7 months and driven it 5500 miles. The car has been trouble free and the only warranty issue was the side assist computer was inoperative when I bought the car, and the dealer it fixed with no issue. With mixed driving and plugging in at home nightly and we are averaging over 60 mpg. On battery charge alone we average 18-20 miles. I would not recommend purchasing a level 2 charger for you home as the Audi supplied charger completely recharges in 8 hours. We found a very nice aluminum wall mount that fits the Audi Charger perfectly for $100 on Etsy. We really like the car, especially the adaptive cruise control and lane assist warning. It's very quiet and comfortable. The audio system is first rate. (B&O). The navigation interface (MMI) takes some getting used to. The car had a 6 month trial for the Audi Connect, and I let it expire. The car never loaded the destinations properly from the phone app, and I can't see paying $10 plus a month for google maps. Hopefully with the next version of the software the app and interface will get better. We have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3, and this was to be the bridge car. Welike the Audi enough to consider not getting the Tesla.

Original Review
Purchased a used A3 e-Tron lease turn in a little over a month ago with 3300 miles. This is my first Audi. It is a very nice car, and so far a good value, especially since the used price reflects the first owners receiving federal and state tax credits. The car is very quiet, comfortable, handles well and efficient. I only have limited access to plug in charging, so I charge it about 3 times per week. With a full charge I normally get 13-17 miles on pure EV mode and in hybrid mode average about 41MPG. The last tank combining 4 plug in charges and a full tank, it averaged just over 51 mpg with mixed hwy (75%)/city (25%) driving. Its not the EPA advertised 83mpgE, but is what I expected based on the reviews I read. I agree as other reviewers have said, if your daily commute is over the pure EV range, just put it in hybrid mode to maximize your plug in charges. The ability to select charge mode at the end a long trip to use EV mode for city commuting, a feature that I heard was discontinued on the 2017 model is also a plus. I also like the clean simpleness of the interior layout and minimizing of buttons, especially the placement of the radio on/off/volume/track select button on the lower console. This car has the adaptive cruise control and pre collision braking, both which are awesome and worth the extra price! The items which I am not so impressed with are the B&O sound system and Audi Connect. The sound system is adequate, but lacks the bass response that my other vehicles have (Bose). The e-tron does not offer memory seats/mirrors which was disappointing since it was the highest Prestige trim level. I still cannot get the Audi Connect App to fully work after talking with the courteous and helpful Audi phone people twice. It wont push directions to the NAV and wont display all the Audi Connect features, nor remotely turn on the A/C. The Nav screen is adequate, but frustrating at times to use the wheel interface to input destinations. Since this car is new tech for VW/Audi, I would recommend purchasing the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plans. Overall, I am satisfied with the car.

What is the TRUE Mileage of the Audi eTron
By George A

I'd like to share with you my experience with the mileage of my Audi A3 eTron. This is similar to what I wrote on Yelp a couple of weeks ago. I'm giving this review 1 star because the car did not meet my mileage expectation for a plugin-hybrid car. I purchased my 2016 Audi A3 eTron around 6 months ago hoping that I can:
1. continue to be motivated to support our planet by going electric / hybrid;
2. get the best gas mileage (savings) with a powerful car; and,
3. get the carpool lane sticker.

So given my first 2 goals, I thought that I "upgraded" when I changed my Toyota Prius to the Audi A3 eTron. I was totally misled by the advertising of this plug-in hybrid car. And now I'm beginning to think that I actually made a "downgrade."

AUDI USA claims that the A3 eTron can run 83 miles per gallon on hybrid mode. This number 83 was on the window sticker when I got the car. And the salesman also told me that the eTron can go 83 miles per gallon on gas + electric mode.

First thing that came in my mind is the huge savings that I can get considering that my Hybrid Prius can only deliver around 48 miles per gallon (Toyota claims that the Prius can go 52 miles).

Second thing that came in my skeptical mind is not to believe the advertising. So given my experience with my Prius, I thought that if AUDI USA would put a claim of 83 miles, maybe they really meant around 75 miles (given a 10% error on their estimate). But 75 miles per gallon is still huge savings.

Third, if one of my objectives is to save money, then why consider buying a "luxury" or high end car. Why not just settle with a Prius? or a Volt? Just because I purchased a more expensive car does not mean I waive my rights to complain about its mileage. The advertising still says 83 miles.

And so I purchased my AUDI A3 eTron at Audi San Diego in Miramar Road. Don't get me wrong. It is a great car. Its just that it cannot run 83 miles per gallon on hybrid mode as claimed by AUDI USA. Why? I'm still unclear about the explanation given to me by Audi San Diego (Valerie from their GM's Office).

So I brought my car to the same dealership where I purchased it for service. I asked AUDI San Diego to test my car because I only can get around 45 miles per gallon on hybrid mode. YES! 45 miles not 83 miles not 75 miles!

The biggest disconnect for me is that AUDI San Diego service department did not even know that the A3 eTron offers 83 miles per gallon mileage. The sales department is just beside their service department. Perhaps the eTron is still new.

The service department said that if I only get around 45 miles per gallon, maybe its because of my driving style and my usage (city/highway/etc). Given I'm the worst driver in the world, my mileage should not be half of what the car claims that it can do.

And so I left my car to the dealership so they can test it. And they reported to me that my car can go 44 miles per gallon and not 83 miles as being claimed on their advertising.

Valerie from the office of the dealer's General Manager responded to my review at Yelp.com and explained to me that I should be happy with my mileage because based on the report that she got, the eTron should only be running 39 miles per gallon on hybrid mode and my car is running 45 mpg. What confused me is that she quoted and placed the link from plugincars.com. Why she used the explanation from plugincars.com got me confused. Is plugincars.com part of Audi? Does Audi has its own explanation for my concern? She also said that if I have further questions, contact Audi USA. OMG! What is the TRUE Mileage of the Audi eTron - now I don't know.