Used 2014 Acura RLX Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura RLX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RLX model:

Good car
By V MEL

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This Acura RLX has been a great vehicle for my family. The good part of the ownership experience is the size of this car. I am 6'-2" and I am very happy with the legroom I have on both front and rears seats. The car is much more roomier than appears on outside. I can complement on the quality of the interior materials; it is made very nice, the cabin is surrounded by by soft materials wrapped in the high quality leather; there are not many plastic parts around like in the similar class Lexus car. Very comfortable large seats, I like them better and think they are more comfortable than E-class Mercedes; nice large armrests. The control buttons and vents don't seem wear off like on most of European luxury cars. This car has a very sensitive breaks; it will stop dead in a very short time. One of the best features I like is the headlights. The optics of the headlights "jewel eye" look very attractive and deliver one of the best driving experiences at night; road signs reflections look like LED TV screens. Infotainment system is great and very easy to use. I found it much more convenient than E-class Mercedes. I like rolling volume control on the steering wheel instead of + -- volume bottoms. I like touch screen and how it gives vibrating feedback. I don't know why so many "expert" reviews are complaining about how confusing the infotainment system is. I found it very easy to use. I like the climate control in this car. The front seats heat up very fast and air fans are very quiet in a high mode, unlike Mercedes or BMW. The average gas mileage is 23 mph in mixed city/highway use which is very very good for this size car with 310 hp engine. So far I don have any mechanical or electrical problem with this car. Very, very reliable car 5+++. Now about the negative experience: First, suspension, suspension, suspension. The car drives like an Amish buggy on a bumpy road. 19 inch wheels with low profile tires make it even worst. The rear suspension is so stiff it sends pain in my spine every time the car goes over a bump. It is far from a luxury riding experience. I wish they have sport and comfort suspension modes to switch. I think this stiff suspension helps to transmit road noise to the car's body even though Acura advertises its noise cancellation technology and hollow wheels which suppose to reduce the road noise. However, I cannot say there is much road noise, but I am sure Mercedes E an Cadillac CTS is more quiet. Second is the gear shifting. It is also rough. When I try to accelerate fast, every time the gear shifts it rocks my body back and forth. Third, is the gear ratios. The car quickly goes to very high RPM during even mild acceleration. It creates unnecessary engine noise and makes it hard to control the car on the road. During "normal" driving mode the car acts like most of luxury cars would act in the "Sport" transmission mode. Forth, is the line departure alarm, blind spot and breaking warning alarms. I wish Acura change it from beeping sound warning alarm to vibration warning like it is done in Cadillac or Lexus cars. When I listen to music or radio, all these warnings become useless; I just cannot hear the beeping warning sound while music is playing. Fifth, the exterior assembly quality. The body parts are not lined as is suppose to be lined. Rear trunk lid does not line with rear fenders, I checked with dealer and it appears on all 2014 RLX models. Front hood/fender gaps are not consistent. It gives an impression like this car has been in a car rack and having some frame damage. After driving this car for 115K the P-AWS RTC actuators began to moan when making small turns. It is not critical, but I know I have to replace them soon. The bottom line is: I like this car and I think I will keep it for a couple more years. I would not recommend this car for a person who likes comfortable Cadillac-style ride. However, for a younger person who likes to drive fast alone, for aggressive driving style it could be a good choice.

RLXer
By RLXer

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Fast lots of room good gas mileage if you keep your foot off the accelerator

Wish I had a better RLX story
By Dpaprocki

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2014 Acura RLX, with advanced package, purchased 3/14 at Pleasanton Acura
• On going electrical, entertainment system, fit and finish, suspension, electronics, backup camera, accessory issues:
• 13 visits to dealer on car issues
• 18 days the car was at the dealers for repairs
• 4 immediate returns to the dealer due to repairs incorrect or not complete
• 4 sessions working with dealer service personnel to show them how to debug issues; DTS audio, USB file interface, battery cell failure, internal recirculating fan
• 2 wheels bent due to road damage
• 0 time I have had wheel damage due to road damage on other vehicles
• 1 factory wheel cost covered cost for 4 new wheels and tires in aftermarket
• >40 hours, amount of time spent dealing with car problems
• 1 safety issue, video recorded, which Acura says they will not fix
• 4 videos recorded to show problems to service personnel because their first response is customer did something wrong
• 14 weeks to get request to Acura customer service denied
• 12 times I tried contacting Acura customer service
• 3 times Acura customer service contacted me
• 1 time Acura customer service told dealer not to talk to me
• 10 emails to dealership and Acura management
• 0 responses to email
• 1 commute car purchased as I am worried RLX cannot stand up to commute and warranty is almost over

Engine, LED headlamps, Sound quality are fantastic. Car has low resale value as my experience does not appear to be unique. So I have to chalk this up to a very expensive lesson. While the car is disappointing the response of the dealership and Acura/Honda customer service was more disappointing. Acura buyer beware. You are welcome to contact me and I can share the details of my experience and point you at my files and the videos of the problems I have had.

Dave Pap Rocki, [contact info removed]

Almost Perfect
By Ed Koval

2014 Acura RLX 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

There is a lot to like about this car, and frankly little to not like. The only two gripes I have are (1) the low profile tires result in a ride that is busier than should be of a luxury car, and (2) at 6'1", my head just barely misses hitting the headliner.

Overall, great car but it does have some problems
By SS

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm very happy with the performance, handling, ergonomics and fuel efficiency. The only major complaint I have is with the battery going dead when the car sits for more than 2 days. I suspect it's a parasitic draw, possibly from the HFL module. Taking it back to the dealer and plan to leave it with them until they fix it. Apparently this is a problem with Acuras and I will not recommend buying this model, or any of the other ones, until they address it.