2020 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $5,051
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Jack of All Trades

Panzrwagn, 11/08/2019
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

The RDX doesnt have the overall interior panache of an Audi Q5, or the powertrain options and steering feel of a BMW X3. It's a bit tighter than a Lexus RX, or the presence of a Mercedes GLC. So why bother, right? Because while it may ring up nothing but second places, at the end of the day, its the sum of all those, and the consistency of its performance that wins you over. And even fully loaded with the SH-AWD. Tech, and Advanced packages it comes in between $5,000 and $10,000 less than its competition. I got the Advanced package primarily for the adustable suspension. While the lower spec RDXs offer 4 driving modes, they don't change the suspension calibration, just steering, throttle, and transmission. And while no one would accuse those shocks of performing the witchcraft of the magnetodynamic shocks in all the high-end sports and go-fast cars, they are a big step in that direction. And that .matters to Acura as they reinforce their position as the sportier luxury brand. Theres more than a little NSX DNA here. Even the styling, striking from most angles evokes that, without the staidness of the European brands or the overdone 'angry samurai" front end of the Lexus. For reference the last few years I've owned a Mercedes ML350 (incredible utility and maneuverability, a great engine/transmission pairing, except when the transmission failed at 65,000 miles, and a "too bad, so sad" dealer response to the $9 ,000 replacement bill, and very overboosted steering) and a totally awesome, totally reliable 2016 Golf GTI that reminds you everytime you drive it that greatness comes in all shapes and budgets. Also there was a Boxster S and my wife's Z4 in the mix. Swapping the Benz for the Acura, after driving the others was easy. My biggest gripe? The font in the main display requires reading glasses for anyone over 50. Seriously. Much has ben said about the infotainment touchpad, but very little about the voice recognition. Which i now use for about 90% of all my nav and infotainment system control. Its not quite Siri or Alexa, mostly in its speed, but its quite reliable at address voice inputs, station selection, etc. That leaves the driving experience. I am 5' 11 and 235 lbs, and i can dial up accomodations in the seating and driving position that make multi-hour drives very comfortable, and the heated and vented sport seats I find both supportive and comfortable. Around town, comfort mode is fine, and sport mode definitely tightens things up a notch. SportPlus, make that 2 or maybe 3 notches. Power from the 2 liter, 272 hp turbo-4 matches the overall demeanor of the RDX very well, but boy, what 2.4 liter 325 hp turbo-4 would add. Or, more likely an NSX-style hybrid arrangement with a couple of electrics adding 100hp or so. The chassis feels up to it. In the end, though. I paid my money and took my choice. I could have afforded any of the others, but none of the so took my breath away as to make me want to part with an extra $10 grand. Fast forward 6 months and a few thousand miles. The RDX is a spectacular cruiser. I have learned to trust the ACC and the other automations. I'm still not in love with the user interface or the transmission selector. Both could stand some 'un-engineering' and made simpler. The sound system continues to amaze with the sound quality. The SH-AWD handling is mostly invisible, but on a couple occasions I have been startled by some athletic moves that I am unaccustomed to in an SUV. Power is adequate, but another 50 HP would be awesome. Reliability, as I would expect from a Honda product, has been absolute. Highway mileage is acceptable at around 26-27 MBG, but in town I can't get it above 16 MPG or so. Blame the smallish engine and largish turbo.

Great Performance, Fun To Drive!

Pete K., 06/25/2019
SH-AWD A-Spec 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

UPDATED 12-29-20 - After a call with Acura Client Services, they instructed my dealership to replace the amplifier on my RDX to correct the "No Audio Connection" problem it was giving me. This did correct the problem, and my ACS advisor was a pleasure to work with. The only remaining bug is that Apple Car Play crashes with some regularity, but I don't use the feature much (would be more useful to me if it were wireless). I am pleased with my vehicle, even had it out in the snow once (finally) and it was fine. Recommended. ----- Original Review: After researching small luxury SUVs for a few months and test driving the Lexus NX 300 and the Acura RDX, it was clear that the Acura RDX with SH-AWD and the A-Spec and Technology packages was the vehicle for me. The only extras I got were the remote start on the keyfob (works great from a football field away, or less if there are buildings in the way) and the Zurich Shield offered by the dealership, which I've used before on my Hondas to great success (didn't have to wax them for five years, water still beaded up). Here's what impresses me after 1000 miles, and what doesn't (no car is perfect, btw). Pluses: quiet, comfortable ride, Sport + mode is insanely fun compared to the Comfort mode (and unlike the Lexus, changes more than your shift points), huge moon roof really "opens up" the interior, lane assist and adaptive cruise control works WAY better than I expected, sensors really help you avoid fender benders via multiple visual and audible alerts, infotainment system is STELLAR and EASY TO USE, despite people ragging on it (there was one bug... wait for it), the A-Spec styling is REALLY sharp, especially the black contrast pieces and the 20" gray wheels, and there's tons of room inside for a small SUV. Minuses: the infotainment system gave me a "no audio connection" error once, which disappeared (then reappeared many times after this original review). This is a known issue that seems to be persisting with no known fix, according to the dealer, who told me to wait for software updates. Also, the brakes make some noise initially when wet or cold, but it quickly clears up for me after I drive a bit and use them. That's it. This is an absurdly nice vehicle with plenty of power as compared to the Lexus NX 300 F-Sport. The 10-speed (8 in Sport + mode) transmission shifts smoothly and effortlessly, and I find the overall experience of driving this vehicle simply excellent. I would have wanted to see better combined gas mileage than around 20 mpg, but with a 17 gallon tank the cruising range is acceptable. Super-nice vehicle, especially for the price. Love the Platinum White Pearl paint as well, the fleck looks incredible (was the reason I got the 2020 instead of the 2019, which would have been cheaper, but this color was not available).

Good Looking Car

Jill S, 07/14/2019
4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

We traded in our 2014 BMW X3 on a 2020 Acura RDX. We bought the base model in a beautiful diamond white pearl with parchment upholstery. Very good looking car indeed. Looks like a true performance SUV. Getting in the car it gets even better. Very good design with superbly comfortable seats that outdo the BMW. Behind the wheel is a pure pleasure, so easy to drive with a lot of safety features on the base model. Enough power to pull away from stop lights with ease and for overtaking when needed. Good rear visibility in large side mirrors as well. We looked at getting another BMW but were blown away by how good value for money the Acura is. Highly recommend it. After having owned it for six months it's still as good as ever. We choose to drive it in the sport mode as it seems to be more responsive.

Ad
  • $40,200starting MSRP

Luxury and sport combined 2020 RDX

Evatbone , 02/01/2020
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

SUV is more luxurious than previous generation SUV. This is my 3rd RDX. I previously owned the 2017 advance model and I chose to purchase the 2020 advance which I was able to purchase at a very good price. It takes a day or 2 to get used to the information system. Acura has the owners site where there are videos which explain how to operate everything. The android auto which is new for 2020 works fine, I was even able to connect google maps and the directions came through the navigation system. The navigation system in the 2020 works better than the 2017. The voice navigation works great when you are on the freeway and need to detour. The deciding factor in the purchase of the RDX was the ride in sport mode. Within 1 day of purchasing the RDX we had a snow storm of 7 inches followed by a ice storm. The RDX handled the snow and ice with ease. I chose the RDX over the Volvo XC 60 because in order to get all the features on the Volvo would have cost me around 8 to $10,000 more.

#5

Sam Moss, 11/27/2019
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

This is my fifth Acura and 3rd RDX. I had a 2015, 2017, and just took delivery of the 2020 with the Advance Trim. Over my driving lifetime I have owned 2 fords, 3 dodges, 2 Mercedes, 5 Hondas, 2 Chryslers, 1 Oldsmobile, 1 GMC, and 3 Nissans. I routinely research cars in multiple fashions. I subscribe to magazines, read articles on Google, read numerous reviews on KBB and Edmunds, watch reviews on YouTube, and go to car shows. I often give educations to salesmen at the dealerships. So why did I buy another RDX given the fact that the reviews have not been very friendly, particularly with regard to the infotainment system. I was very happy with the old touch screen and nervous with the new touch pad and decided to learn as much as I could about it before actually signing on the dotted line and I still find myself learning new features and procedures on it every day. The fact is that its different and as such there is a reasonable learning curve and you have to put forth the effort. You cannot simply turn on the engine and expect it to just work, just like any new technology. Before I took delivery I was told that the freezing and other issues were caused because people tried to use Waze on CarPlay and apparently Waze and the Acura system do not like each other. If that is of major importance to you, don’t buy the car or just use Waze while not connected to the car or use a different phone that is not connected. When I need Waze, I use my wife’s phone in coordination and addition to the Acura system. The audio is separate and works great and so is the actual phone. What other apps can you use while driving? Once you get passed that and start using it, the touch pad is actually quite intuitive and easy, and yes once set up, operating it is safe and simple. Just make sure you add your favorites (phone#’s, addresses, radio stations... while not driving. The car has much more road feel than the prior generation and the SHAWD delivers a firm ride. The engine is smooth and very peppy. Definitely more fun than the prior generation. Gas mileage is not great but what car in this segment is? The seats are extremely comfortable, the interior is roomy and provides a feeling of luxury and power as you enter the car. Definitely a nice place to be. I will not say that it is better or nicer than the other European competitors or the Lexus, Infinity, Cadillacs... Just about every car made today will be reliable and will perform as it is meant to. At this point the truth is that it is all a matter of personal taste. The Volvo XC60 is a beautiful comfortable car but it is not very sporty. The Lincoln Corsair is gorgeous inside and the Lexus RX is unbelievable inside but neither has any road feel. They are just sanctuaries. I personally do not like the run flat tires that come on the German cars but that is my personal preference. I simply like the way the Acura feels by comparison to the other models in the segment + the Acura is by far a better value. Loaded up the car is several thousand dollars less than any of the above and holds its value better too. The BMW with its pricing and options made me feel like I was being nickeled and dimed. (Especially with the insurance policy for the tires) and I hate that. The reason that the Acura is so much less expensive is that it is much less customizable. It was not an issue for me but maybe it is for you. I don’t much like the auto off feature but all the cars are coming with it. Truth be told, it will likely be a pain in the neck if you are in heavy traffic but being stopped at a light, I’ll get used to it. For the times of being in traffic—push the button. In summation, I highly recommend this car.

12345...10