2019 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $7,026
Select your model:
12345...41

Pros
Cons

Close to Being Perfect Compact Luxury SUV--Not The

Petros Bezirganyan, 01/07/2019
SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

After months of researching and shopping, pulled the trigger on new RDX w/ Tech... After driving it for 3k mi in 2 months, here are my impressions. THE GOOD 1. The leather seats are very soft and comfortable. Beats any latest model Nissan, Volvo or BMW. The real leather is exquisite. Acura makes the best leather seats, period. Better than the latest Volvo XC90 or XC60, BMW X3 or 3 series, Nissans and even Hondas and Audi Q5... The only seat that is better is the one in Volkswagen Passat, but these are synthetic leatherette... The seat is 16-way power adjustable, and on Advance trim it has power thigh extension as well... Love the seats... 2. The ELS 3D Studio premium audio system is sublime. The surround sound is fantastic, and is second only to Volvo's latest Bowers & Wilkins audio system. 3. The style. I really, really love the body styling if the new RDX. It is elegant, agresive, sporty, modern. I really love the 19" shark gray wheels. The cabin is modern, luxurious and I would say, elegant. Love panorama sunroof. 4. Comfort and ride. Very quiet cabin, supple ride. Good rear legroom and headroom 5. Cargo capacity. Is on par with any compact SUV, and is better than almost all luxury compact SUVs. 6. Price point. Very competitive guven the amount of features. 7. Engine power and torque. With 272 hp on tap and low-RPM 280 lb-ft of torque, this SUV has a pick-up of a sporty sedan or a hatchback. 8. Handling. With its wide stance and low profile, coupled with torque-vectoring all-wheel drive, this SUV corners flat, and can handle any curve confidently, feeling sure-footed on any type of pavement. THE BAD 1. Transmission. Acura keeps telling us (since the crappy 6-speed in 2013 RDX and 8, and then 9-speed ZF transmission in Acura MDX 2013-2015, 2016-2019) that they are going to finally fix the rough and jerky gear shifts, especially at low speeds and going uphill, and finally they claimed that they did it with the Honda-engineered 10-speed transmission, debuted in the 2018 Honda Odyssey, and now in 2019 RDX... But let me tell you, this tranny, although much better than 9-speed German-made ZF and the 6-speed in old RDX, still has some serious issues: at low speeds it tends to keep in the middle gears (3-6), instead of downshifting to 2, perhaps--I don't know, but the effect is as if it is in higher gear at lower speeds than it should be, preventing acceleration at speeds at around 25-30 mph, or when coasting to a stop light or parking... This is very annoying, since the vehicle feels underpowered for simple maneuvers, like coasting to a stop light or driving in a parking lot. Pushing the throttle, simply jerks the vehicle forward, as if accelerating from dead stop, which is not what one wants, and is dangerous in traffic or parking garages... Disappointing. 2. Fuel economy on premium 92 grade gas. In the mixed mostly city driving I average only 21 mpg on premium gas. Very disappointing. On regular 87 octane gas, the fuel economy drops to 20 mpg. Disappointing... 3. Small fuel tank, short driving range on a full tank. With only 17 gallon tank, maximum I can drive on premium gas on a full tank is 300 miles, before the fuel gauge light up. Very, very disappointing... My Nissan Rogue would go 359 miles before I had to stop for refueling... 4. Infotainment system. Very, very glitchy and underbaked. Using the precision touch mouse pad is awkward; using navigation is clunky. Voice recognition barely works. The loading of contacts takes a very, very long time... Calls are driooed every now and then; the system hangs intermittently... Nissan's simple Bosch-designed infotainment puts Acura to shame... Android auto is not supported as of yet... No way to look up point of interest phones; no Pandora or Google integration. My Nissan had all that. I miss Nissan's infotainment system... THE UGLY 1. The brake pads already squeal on all 4 as if completely worn out on a brand-new vehicle with less than 3k miles!!! 2. Passenger wiper is not retracting completely. This is a calibration issue, which Acura is looking into. 3. The hatch back-door creaks and moans on opening and closing, just like a whale. 4. Driver vanity mirror cover squeaks when opening. Not nice. 5. The cargo area liftable cover does not stay open, and needs to be held while accessing the underfloor storage compartment. 6. To put in roof-rails and crossbars, Acura is asking for $1,200. Very expensive for almost a necessity on a SUV. CONCLUSION On hindsight, unless you are getting a super killer deal on 2019 RDX (e.g. below invoice), I do NOT recommend buying or leasing it, until Acura addresses transmission and fuel economy issues. Also, note that it is a wide vehicle: 4-5 in wider than a regular sedan or a compact SUV. This may pose a challenge when parking in tight spaces.

I Traded-In My RDX After 7 Months Of Ownership

Eva, 11/07/2018
Advance Package 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I had my “dream car” for 7 months and then traded it in for something more reliable. When I first purchased the Acura RDX Advance I was ecstatic. Everything seemed to be customized for me. From the memory seats to the technology, to the safety components. I was in love with my SUV. However, things seemed to go south the longer I owned the vehicle. First it was the constant issues with the Infotainment System. I would exit the vehicle and it wouldn’t turn off. I called the dealership and they either thought I was dumb and didn’t know how to operate a car, or they would say “this is the first time we’re hearing about this...” I found a site called AcuraZine which had a workaround for turning off the frozen system so I wouldn’t get a dead battery. So that was the first issue. The second was the constant brake squealing after about 3 or 4 months of ownership. I drive typically on the interstate, so nothing weird about my driving habits. The last, and most terrifying issue was the electronic issue. I was on my way to work, driving about 65 mph, and everything shut off except for the engine. So I had no dials (since they’re digital) / no GPS / no A/C nothing electronic whatsoever in my car. It was pitch black. I was in the middle lane and there was no way to pull over. I safely made it to work. When I placed the vehicle in park all electronics came back on but they were “strobing.” I called the dealership who told me to bring it in ASAP. After an hour they found nothing wrong and sent me on my merry way. This happened too many times for me to be comfortable with the reliability of the vehicle and the dealership never found any issues so I just traded it in for something more reliable and safe. I really wanted to love this car but for the price I paid (and the thousands of dollars I lost trading it in) it just wasn’t worth my safety. I hope this helps others.

Navigation system never worked.

Marianne Stolfi, 08/19/2018
Technology Package 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

From the first time I tried to use the navigation system it would not recognize the input address. I tried every method. ( It was the address for the Bethpage DMV!). I called my sales person and he walked me through the steps, it still did not recognize the address. I drove the car to the dealership. Another sales person tried to tell me that the problem was because Bethpage and Oyster Bay had the same zip code. (They don’t!). I tried to use the navigation to get to a friends house, it took me to a shopping center. I tried to use it to get to my home address. It tried to take me twenty blocks away. When I got fed up and called the service manager, he admitted that they were having problems with the new system and he didn’t know when it would be fixed. It is now over a month since I got the car!

Ad
Build Your RDX

Infotainment System Huge Disappointment

Mark S of LI NY, 01/15/2019
SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Own the 2019 RDX Advance since 8/13 . Before this I owned a 2014 RDX & before that 2010 TSX. I enjoy the handling, look (in & outside) & feel of the new RDX over the 2014 (2nd generation) Several over the air updates During my first year & 1/2 did had not corrected the quirks, concerns & non-function features of this new RDX talked about in a couple of forums. It was not until the most recent update did Acura solve nearly all the navigation problems. The fee based ($110 year) AcruaLink app is quirky as well. They keep taking features away with disregard to its customers. Such as downloading directions when car is off & viewing tire PSI. By the way, subscribing to app is only way to remote start unless you pay nearly $500-&600 to dealer to install transponder. Crazy Acura did not incorporate it do need would be to just but a remote start key-bobb All means I Likely would not buy another Acura product in the future as Honda/ Acura should not have rolled out the new system before they had in working properly. I’m disappointed with them for not debugging the software before rolling it out to the consumer. Failing to do that, they had a OTA update in Feb. 2019 that messed up come features that had been working. I feel as if I’m part of a beta test. Its software is more than buggy. Even as the majority of infotainment system issues were corrected on most recent update it took them over 18-20 months after I bought it to address them. Though less of a concern they did not fix the issues pertaining to “Restaurants" or "Food" or Shopping or Gifts as well as Travel Agency”; ALL of which are blank showing no data at all!!

Great vehicle, but not perfect

Krewman, 06/24/2018
4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Have put 1,000 miles on my new fully-loaded RDX. Love the ride, handling, and acceleration. Interior materials and seat comfort are excellent. Premium sound system is awesome (Last night, I sat in the car, ignition off, and blasted 70's rock and roll for an hour). Love the heads-up display and ACC. There are, however, a few things that drive me nuts: 1) The nav system has a major flaw - you can't easily zoom the map in/out while guidance is in use. Sounds trivial. It's not. 2) Synching a phone does not provide access to the phone's contact list. In fact the entire bluetooth/phone system is frustrating to use and poorly designed. Thank god for Apple CarPlay so you can just avoid the Acura system all together. 3) No place to put spare change except in the center console. Yes, it's a nit, but would it have killed them to add a small nook to keep coins? 4) The touch pad will make you insane the first few days. Then you get the hang of it and it's not too bad. Still, Acura definitely needs to improve input approach. **UPDATE** I've driven the vehicle for over 13,000 miles. The Good: 1) Acura updated the software so you can now zoom in/out when using the navigation system. 2) No mechanical issues. Trouble free. Nice! The Bad: 1) The nav system is still a mess. At times the turn arrow on the heads up display doesn't match the turn arrow on the dash display. For example, the heads up will have a arrow pointing to the left, while the display has an arrow pointing to the right. Bring a penny with you so you can flip a coin. Second, using the voice command feature to enter in a destination is an exercise in frustration. You often get a "destination not found" or it misinterprets what you said and sets the destination to somewhere random. We actually play a game to see who can get the navigation system to set the most ridiculous destination. However, you can avoid the Acura nav system entirely by using Apple Carplay. Which brings me to item 2. 2) Apple CarPlay works. Then it doesn't. Then it does. Then it doesn't. It connects. Then disconnects. Then connects. Then disconnects. I have Apple Carplay on my other vehicles and it works fine with my iPhone, so the problem is with Acura. The workaround is to connect your iPhone to the vehicle using Bluetooth and then use Google Maps or Waze for navigation. You'll be limited to the iPhone screen, but at least the voice directions will play over the vehicle's sound system (which, by the way, is awesome). July 2020 update. If you have the heads up display there’s a fun game to play. Enter a destination into the navigation system. Then watch as the heads up display and the dashboard screen display completely DIFFERENT turn directions. So entertaining. As stated earlier, the electronics package on the vehicle (e.g., navigation, phone, radio, etc) is poorly designed and even after several updates is frustrating to use. To avoid these problems, just use Apple CarPlay. Oh wait, never mind, CarPlay only works intermittently. Like, hardly ever. Mechanically the vehicle is top notch. After 28,000 miles no repairs needed and no problems requiring dealer visits. Comfort and ride remain excellent.

12345...41