Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used CL for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

3 years and still in love...

lil_dreamer13, 09/15/2005

I purchased my 01' CL Certified in September 2002. I fell in love with it then and am still in love with it now. At the time, I was also looking at the Lexus IS, but it felt like I was cramped up in an upgraded version of my Civic SI. The CL has all the luxurious interior features, a powerful engine so it is at a great value. The transmission was recalled, but Acura replaced it at their cost. I've been a CL owner for 3 years now and don't even have an itch to look at other cars because I'm very happily satisfied. When I'm in the market to purchase a new car, it would definitely be another Acura hands down... Perhaps the TL. ;)

Love it But...

wohojr, 12/07/2005

I bought this car new and and LOVE IT BUT...the real selling points being it was a Honda (I've owned 5), offered terrific value for the money and was a step up from my 94 Accord EXL four door. It was a coupe but practical enough to drive to work and enjoy all that power and luxury. Where this car let me down was when I had to replace the transmission at 15K! Acura stood behind their product and replaced it for free and even upped the warranty to cover any future problems but it fundamentally changed how I felt about the car. However, nothing else has gone wrong and I'm at 38K now. Acura killed the resale market when they canceled the CL in 03, so I'll be keeping her for awhile longer.

CL-S - Great to me

cl in mn, 10/24/2006

I bought my CL-S w/Nav early (May 00) - and enjoyed having a car that wasn't too common,yet a real sleeper in performance (can run with some fast cars). I never had the transmission replaced that seemed so common - but watching it close (Acura stepped up and extended warr for all to 7 yrs/100K - a stand-up thing to do for a car company). The rest of the car's quality has been great - literally nothing has gone wrong. Had a squeaky sunroof and rear cargo lid - but both were fixed early in the car's life. I still ENJOY driving this car 6 1/2 years later.

Acura actually mfr'd a lemon!

jenr8er, 03/29/2003

I took my 1st CL (97)to 110k w/o ever using the warranty. Completely different story this time around. Nearly every recall and service bulletin my car has been in for-from rattles to a blown transmission. What's worse is that while service did everything they could on my repeated SRS/engine light issues, we had exhausted all resources (6 visits) and were praying to the car gods to please let it be fixed. Read the recalls/TSB for 02 & 03 models-they are nearly identical. Feeling a little sketched out by it all and thinking maybe I should find something else to drive til they get it together in a year or two!!!!!

great car

pnlop, 03/06/2002

Excellent car. Very qucik in city traffic, and passing on the highway. Great interior. No mechanical problems after 20,000 miles

Best for the budget!

Dan, 04/25/2007

I purchased my CL-S over a year ago with 76K miles on it and so far it has performed very well. Excellent build quality and premium feel to interior. Most people think the car is less than one year old! The 260HP engine was ahead of its time and can still keep up with recent models like the Infiniti G35 coupe. Although the mileage was high, it was an excellent value for under $13K. I just replaced the front rotors and pads at around 88K miles ($400), and the only other expense I incurred were the four new tires ($650). The car has been pulling slightly to the left since I bought it and after two alignments the problem has not been corrected. It's been an overall pleasure to drive.

Mid-Life Crisis Car

J.B., 09/09/2007

I recently purchased this red, 2001 Acura CL 3.2, 2 door coupe, Type S. I had a 1997 Camry for 10 years, which still ran excellently, but the suspension was degrading, and other things were starting to go wrong with it. So, I had heard the Acura was a "fancy" Honda, and took a look at this used one with only 47,000 miles. It was great, and so "zippy"! As a middle aged woman, who has always been sensible, I decided to go for it. What fun! I am really enjoying this car. I do have to watch out for the paint, as it seems to flaw easily. Also, I have heard the trannys are not the greatest, but so far so good with this one. And features!? It practically comes in and cleans the house!

Excellent Car!

Cash, 06/30/2007

Got this car with 58K on it and now has less than 65K. Absolutely love this car, no probs so far. ABS and side airbag turned on and dealership took care of it. Wish I had bought a type S. When I got it, I tinted my windows black, recently put some black rims on it and smoked out the front and rear tail lights. Next project to put some lambo doors and pop up navi and dvd player. This is my 3rd Honda/Acura and will absolutely stick with them! Next car is the TL.

Beautiful car

dviperkrzy1, 07/14/2007

With my personal experience of having different Honda made vehicles, I can say by far that the Acura CL Type S is one of Acura's best vehicles by far because of its balance of luxury and sport. I love to drive this car on the freeway and have it ride smooth even at 100. There was a transmission recall on the vehicle but as soon as the dealer changes the transmission for you for free no improvements needed.

Best buy for the money

Ampher, 04/27/2003

I've had this car for three years. Overall a great car. The sunroof has a fluttering noise the dealer has never been able to fix. The sunroof doesn't open very far. But the sunroof being my only complaint, must be a great car!

2001 CL Type S - The perfect car

CLTypeSmacura, 05/05/2003

I owned a 98 Acura and was sure I'd never buy another Acura. That was until I saw the totally redesigned CL (2001 model). As soon as I saw it, I knew I'd have to buy it. After I drove it, there was no chance i'd pass on this car. It handles amazingly, it's incredibly fast and the price was perfect. I got all the features my friends had to pay close to $50K for in their BMW's and Mercedes. Only I had enough money left over to be able to afford flooring my car to blow them away. I love my Acura. I can't part with it.

Great Car!

FreddieG, 05/06/2003

Great car all around. Smooth engine and transmission. Simply elegant styling. Great finish!

New Transmission for 2004 CL's

masm07, 02/19/2003

It is a fact that Acura has identified and stands behind their warranty on the sportshift but if their goal is to compete with BMW's 3 Series they need to engineer a transmission that will withstand the 260 horses that the CL Type S produces. Yes, it can be a fun car but my tranny went out at 29,000 miles, so what if you get new one...if this is such a great car then why not build one designed for engine. Thumbs down on the tranny, I am disappointed with this vehicle and will think long and hard before I purchase another Acura product. I hope there are some Acura engineers reading this review. That is why BMW 3 series still leads the pack.

Satisfied

Goody, 03/08/2002

My CL rides great and so far has been very reliable, unlike my Ford TBird which cost me $2600.00 in repairs in just one year! I'm very happy with the design and I have confidence this car will last a long time.

Performance and Luxury and no compromise

Purnell, 01/08/2003

Great acceleration,ultra smooth 260 horsepower engine, excellent navigation system, very impressive handling in spite of front wheel drive setup, fuel economy is good especially considering power output of motor, very quite cabin loads of features traction control, vechile stability assist, front and side airbags an all around exceptional value

Soft leather glove with brass knuckles

IntegraVT, 03/10/2002

The CL-S is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Sleek, elegant exterior styling and an amazingly intuitive interior layout mask what may be the best sleeper car out there. Performance wise, this car will crush many "sports" cars, while providing amenities such as an in-dash 6-disc Bose CD changer, heated leather memory seats & mirrors, xenon HID headlights and Acura service & warranty. The CL Type S is not for everyone, but it should be on every luxury coupe buyer's test drive list.

Nice for Price

Kobe, 06/06/2003

Really like the performance of this vehicle and the styling is far superior to earlier CLs. I am coming up on end of 3 year lease and may actually buy it. Only issue is minor quality issues such as sunroof, radio and faulty indicator lights.

Best still

BJWANG, 07/01/2003

Nice Strong fast car...

FAST AND FUN

FLYER0029, 07/02/2003

THIS CAR IS JUST PLAIN AMAZING. THE SOLID BUILD AND EXCELLENT ENGINEERING MAKE THIS A JOY TO DRIVE!!

Great Fun, Great Value

bseidman, 03/29/2002

I looked for a new car for over 6 months before I finally bought my CL Type S and not a day goes by that I regret my decision. If you look up in price the CL still delivers more than the BMWs and Lexus IS300, and it's worth the extra thousand or two over the Maxima or others like it. Even the little things are great, and Acura's Navigation System is the best I've seen. This is a high quality, classy car for those who don't want to look like the type of person that drives a BMW...

Would Keep It Forever

gf, 05/13/2008

I keep hoping Acura will make another coupe like this. It still looks great and handles well at 91,000 miles. I'm hoping it lasts 91,000 more. Its second transmission slips just a little on a quick shift, and there's rust on the bottom of the passenger- side door. The brakes have had a major overhaul. Our other car is a 2003 CTS, which I like just as well although the features differ.

great ride

rolph, 04/05/2019
3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

dependable reliable great ride