Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used CL for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I love it

Kevin Durkin, 07/14/2003

So much fun, A great value

I love my acura

Cinci, 08/26/2003

It is fun to drive and looks good. I bought mine used and got a great deal! I'm sticking with Acura for my next car.

Finally, a good car decision!

Victor in CA, 08/29/2003

After my 96 Corvette bit the dust with only 60,000 miles I went car shopping. Considered the Nissan Z and the Infiniti G35 coupe but kept coming back to the CL-S. I bought a 01 with 35k miles and it's perfect. The performance isn't what the Corvette was but I no longer need a kidney belt after long road trips. The CL-S is the perfect compromise between luxury and sport with Honda reliability. After having gone from a Prelude to a Corvette, the GM design was really disappointing.

Overall Good

johnlemvp, 07/22/2003

Picked up the car used. 2001 CL-S w/ Navigation. Its pretty luxurious, some well though out features. Suspension is pretty stiff, but it is a Type-S after all. The only major thing I hate about it are the rattles. I was able to fix the rear rattling, but I still get rattles from the side. The Navigation is really nice, I just need to buy a never version of the software on DVD.

What a great Car

Durks, 07/23/2003

I just love it. Great vehicle. Lots of power, Makes the 30 min commute a brezze. I can't wait to put some more power under the hood. Recommend everyone try it.

No More Acuras in My Future

Car Girl, 08/12/2003

Although somewhat stylish and powerful, the number of trips to the service department has lessened my exuberance for ever owning an Acura again. My first experience of driving my new car off the delaer lot was a glowing check engine light..related to the transmission... to my latest experience of having the same part replaced for the second time. From the petty annoyances of rattles to the ongoing transmission problem, this car has been a disappointment.

Best car in its class

JLW1212, 09/28/2003

This was my second car, I went from an Acura Integra and although I paid twice as much, its 10 times the Integra will ever be. I was in my market for a BMW 330Ci and to me the 3.2CL beat it out in every catergory. This is a fantastic buy and the 225 HP is a big improvement from 140 HP.

Quality at a reasonable price

v maggio, 01/06/2005

Fun and comfortable to drive. Gets over 30 mpg on long trips. While the rear seat is comfortable it is not easy to get in and out.

Very Happy

greg, 01/07/2005

This is my first Acura and I'm loving it. I bought it certified and the dealership has been great.

Nice with bells & whistles

aswafford, 10/04/2003

Not quite as sexy as it could be in design, but very comfortable and speedy pickup. No major problems.

Awesome Sports/Luxury Car!!!

Jeff Mac, 10/06/2003

Please test drive this car before you pass judgment. This Type S is just awesome. I have a Black CL Type S with tinted windows and tan (parchment) leather interior. Put in 6 of your favorite CDs in the CD changer, roll down the windows, open the sunroof and go. 260 horsepower!!! This Acura is fast. There will be few cars that can beat it 0-60. Very few. Vette, 911, but nothing more comfortable, afordable and with so many standard features. What a great ride. Highly recommend. Enjoy!

my Acura CL-S

esther1@sonic.net, 10/25/2003

Thoroughly satisfied. A kick to own and drive. Really quick when needed, even when not needed. Exceptional. And, it's a nice looking car with the prettiest tush of any car.

Great All Around Touring Car

terri2, 10/30/2003

Quality is very good on this car. Drive feel is smooth and controlled. Great reliability.

Great Car!

Ange, 10/30/2003

This car is fun to drive, very comfortable and sharp! I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable car. It's the smoothest ride ever.

Awesome

msw, 10/31/2003

very classy, powerful v6 type s motor, roomy, spacious trunk room

Smooth, responsive, fun and reliable!

Greg Z. W ., 04/14/2005

Wonderful car: drives like an M3, but is more quiet, feels luxurious and is absolutely reliable. The best GPS navigation system I've seen. I've put almost 70 000 miles on it and have not had a single problem. Just pour gas, change oil and have fun! The transmission have always behaved flawlessly and they did the scheduled fix at 40,000 miles. The only quibble I would have about this great car is the poor paintwork. Acura should really work on this.

Everyday Sports Car

PCO, 11/12/2003

Opens up a can of whoop on most cars. Quiet, fast, great Hwy mileage. My kids want it when I am ready to trade. An everyday sports car that seats four.......

Poor ACURA

Silver-CL, 11/26/2003

Well, if you like to spend time in the dealership, then I suggest you buy this car. I am currently on my fourth transmission. 52K miles. Time for a new car. Sorry ACURA.

S is for Speed

DB, 06/10/2005

This car is amazing. It is my 3rd Acura and fourth Honda. I had a Legend Coupe and often regretted selling it, So when the 2nd Generation CL came out I had to have it. This car does everything, and will eat most car's lunch, including the beloved 3 Series BMW (Except for the M3 of course). Smooth ride and comfort, and Honda reliability. Just can't say enough good things about this automobile. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You can shock a mustang or camaro owner in this car. Some complain about the ride on the Type S, but if that is the concern you have, buy a Buick or a sedan. You are not the target market for this car.

Would buy another one in a heartbeat...

Trepond, 12/07/2003

The beauty of this car is that it spacious, luxurious, and sporty at the same time. The wood grain on the inside could use some work, it's the only thing that disappoints me on the car. The nice thing about Acura is every Type S comes with a sunroof, 6 disc changer, heated seats, and more. Would recommend this car to anyone looking for a dependable, fun car to drive.

Nuts and Bolts only

kcfox, 03/03/2003

Why is the TL considered a gem yet the CL is only adequate. It is every bit as good as the TL. Smooth, sporty and luxury best define this auto. The v-6 is not for the timid.

Unreal Unreal

Awesome, 08/18/2005

I must say it handles and rides better then 99% of the vehicles I have driven. Very reliable, very fast, very well built, no complaints. Resale is wonderful and so is gas mileage. BUY ONE

Better Than You Think

Bernie's Acura, 01/06/2004

I have thoroughly enjoyed my CL-S w/nav from the first day. It has performed outstandingly in all types of weather conditions. Car is used on trips between home and Boston and it just "flies" on the roads. Ride is smooth but there is some wind noise above 65 and on rough roads. Overall, the CL-S is the best car that I have owned. I have had Acuras since 1985 and began with the 1980 Honda Acord. All excellent vehicles

I love my CL

CLgal, 01/07/2004

I've been driving my black on black CL for six months and am a true believer. It is an all-around solid car with so many great features. The creature comforts, postitioning of instruments, and overall look and feel are second to none. I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a combination of luxury, style, and reliability.

3.2 type S awsome piece of machine

srsergior, 01/08/2004

very fun car to drive. I drove from coast to coast and back. The best trip of my life. very reliable and fun to drive. I wish the dealer will give you the option to add navagation if you change your mine. very nice car.

Acura CL Type S

Steve, 10/11/2005

Great, fun car to drive. Luxury with some sport car features. Very reliable mechanically. Looks sharp!

my second acura in five years

richard d. ross, 01/08/2004

In 1995 I started looking at cars. I could afford cars such as the Audi A4, the Lexus ES300, and the BMW 300 series. In July 1998, I decided on the Camry XLE V6 but that month Acura released its new 1999 TL. After three test drives, on 9-29-98 I bought the TL, a superb car, comfortable and responsive. In 2001 I test drove the new Acura CL 3.2Type S with navigation system. It was so outstanding, I bought it on 6-26-01. I am definitely sold on Acura now. Unlike other manufacturers, Honda/Acura gives a car that is fully equiped so you aren't forced to pay premium prices for equipment plus Acuras are so reliable and great to drive.

Awesome CL- Type S

Rlynch, 01/17/2004

I bought this car as a certified pre- owned car. I looked at other car on the market with other car companies, but for the money and the features that this car has to offer, there is nothing on the market today.

None better in 2001

LC, 10/25/2005

In 2001 if you wanted power, reliability, comfort, good looks and fuel economy, CL-S was clearly the best buy. The car makes 1,000 foot elevation climbs in the Rockies seem like the flats of Kansas. 68,000 miles and no problems. No sense trading it in; this will be my first car over 100,000 miles since my 73 Dodge.

Upscale Honda is a winner

Bill, 12/24/2005

I've been a huge fan of Hondas for years, so my review is biased, but few if any automaker builds a better engine. This Acura is just as reliable as any of the five Hondas I've owned, but it has a true luxury car feel. The handling is a bit heavy; the car loves to plow into corners but that was fixed with thicker aftermarket sway bars. Aside from a few nagging interior rattles, the build quality is excellent. The car is both a luxury cruiser and a flat out fun car to drive.

acura cl s-type

acuraowner, 12/28/2005

purchased a certified preowned CL, Acura stands by their warranty BUT too many trips to the service dept.; car rides smoothly, great on gas but constant engine light problems; transmission had to be replaced soon after i purchased but dealer covered costs - car was in dealership for 3 weeks!!! tire rims do scratch easily; paint job is poor; side airbag lights keep coming on, dealership says its nothing; maintenance cost not too bad; rear passenger seats only for 2; bose system is weak; cd's get stuck in changer; DEFINITELY KEEP YOUR RADIO CODE unless you want your radio replaced if car batttery dies and you need a jumpstart! hope it will trade-in fairly.

Great Car

Mick1070, 01/30/2004

This car is a luxurios sports car Not a sport luxury car. The most comfortable driving car I've owned.

Best buy we ever made in a used car

Myrtle Young, 02/26/2006

Bought this vehicle used from a private party using Edmunds guide. It was in impeccable shape and has held it's value. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone although there has been one major expense to date, a power inverter for the headlights. It handles so well and has been a joy to own.

Sweet car

Best car out there, 02/19/2004

Since purchasing the CL Type-s I have thouroughly exploited the traction control and VSA and V-tec appropriatly. Being only 24 and owning this car is truly an experience. Not driving this car the way that its meant to be driven is like having 1000 watt speakers hooked up to a 250 watt amp.

Great car

Jgrupp, 03/09/2004

I love this car. It is fun to drive, is responsive, has a great passing gear, wish it had been available in six speed when I got the car... Great buy.

4 1/2 years and still going

Wilbur, 05/10/2006

I have owned several Hondas as well as a previous Acura Integra, so I had no reservations about purchasing my CL Type S. I had the transmission issue that we've all had, but Acura backed it up without issue. I have since only had a seat belt issue, again under warranty, and have only gone through 1 set of tires and a battery. The reliability I expect from an Acura. My fiancee has a Mercedes C230 coupe which she has driven 10K miles and we're already considering selling it and keeping the CL until we drive it into the ground. It was a great buy 4 1/2 years ago and is still a great buy as a pre-owned car.

It's really a shame

blanco, 04/08/2004

At 47,000 miles my poor tranny died. This problem has caused a very obvious and apparent drop in resale value - and frankly I have little confidence the rebuild Acura supplied will "tow the line" for the long haul. It's too bad because otherwise this car is near perfect for my needs and desires. The motor is awesome. Probably the smoothest revving V6 out there - and it has good torque thru the power band. Close to BMW smoothness really - but a I-6 should always be superior to the V-6. Handling is excellent, solid feedback through the wheel for a FWD car.

Almost Perfect

Jake, 08/18/2006

I love my 3.2 CL. I would have liked the power of the type-S but prefer the understated base model. Small things have been irritating like no switch for the foglamps which look like 40 watt lightbulbs next to the awesome HID headlamps. The door mounted arm rests have started to separate slowly. The transmission was replaced because I mentioned it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it used to. As a precaution and probably to drum up some business, the service department went ahead and replaced it.

2001 CL-S Review

txengineer, 08/20/2006

I purchased this car from a co-worker who bought it new. It had 41,000 miles when I purchased it three short years ago. The transmission had been replaced under warranty by the original owner, but not the control computer. After having the computer replaced at 85,000 miles, the second transmission started to have issues. Back to the dealer for another transmission and matched computer. They even threw a set of motor mounts in for free. Now at 135K the tranny is starting to shift ruff. We'll see. Otherwise, the car runs great with a bad squeak from the back package tray (solved with a piece of electrical tape wedged between the glass and the 3rd brake light tray.

The Dreamy Type-S

DMB Tampa Fan, 04/26/2004

I looked at other cars on the market, but for the money and the features that this car has to offer, it was a no brainer! The only option was the navigation system - everyting else was included! Heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, and not one but two memory keys, and the list goes on! What other car company offers all these extras in the base model. Acura has found the right combination of luxury and the fun to drive sports car! It is a dream to drive! You will not be disappointed!

The Best Acura I've Owned

BernD, 09/28/2004

I have owned Acura since the 1985 model. The 2001 CL is the best in terms of power, handling, agility and design. This car flies when needed with a slight touch of the peddle. No problem leading the pack between NY and Boston. I'm in the market for the new TL and can't wait to get my hands on it.

wow! BEST DEAL IN TOWN

paganpink, 09/30/2004

The type S begs to be driven in a sporty manner, but has a comfortable ride at any time. I highly recommend several basic changes that will awaken this incredible car; 1, Buy the AEM cold air intake,(2-3 hundred).The increase in performance is amazing,10- 15 horsepower, and the 2nd intake opening at 5k RPM in the S engine sounds absolutely incredible.2.Buy the Eibach springs (2-3 hundred.)Hugely improves handling at all speeds with no loss of ride quality! Giving it a more aggressive appearance and keeping it glued to the turns. 3. Buy a 75 horse shot of nitrous (7-8). Engine computers will never let it run lean, and you now outrun BMW's,350z,V-8 Camaro's,&

I would rather go back to my BMW328CI

Type-S, 11/06/2004

Transmission problems, check engine light constantly comes on, and loud sunroof, and slight rattles. I wish I had kept my old BMW328CI which had over 140k miles and never had any of these problems that my Acura CL with only 60,000 miles have. I have heard/read that the better Acura CLs were the 1997 to 1999. My co-worker has a 1997 CL 3.0 and never had any problems with it and has over 110,000 miles on it. You get a far better car for the money you pay for a BMW 3 series.

better than Honda Accord v-6 same price!

aveerothai, 11/17/2004

I bought this car used 2 years ago. No problem, fun to drive, Bose system, heated seat and memory seat and this car is going for same price as Honda Accord v6. What a deal!

1 year later...still pleased

Ryan, 12/29/2004

Bought used with about 42K miles on it. Couldn't be happier with the vehicle for the price I paid. Runs great, good speed, love the heated seats, navigation system rules. Being the first experience with a foreign car, I am very pleased. We hope to upgrade to a MDX in a few years. For the money and options included, this is a steal compared to a Lexus.

Good value but...

BHarvey, 03/09/2005

...it's a Honda. Great engine and fortunately, I've escaped the transmission woes (for now). Handling is OK, but steering feedback is typical Honda "dead". Little communication with the road. Turning radius is much too wide for a car of this type. OEM Michelins were terrible. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Expensive, but a fantastic improvement. Great car for those who want a sporty car w/above avg power, but don't want to sacrifice comfort. Handling and feedback not even close to a Bimmer 330, but then again, it was $6 grand cheaper.

Smooth Ride

Drew, 03/24/2005

Acura has me sold. My silver on black CL has been everything I expected. And expectations can be a dangerous thing…I purchased it used with 43K miles on it. Got a great deal too. One word: Smooth. I love the sound of the engine when you punch it. I drove the type S as well, but didn't like the harshness of the ride. I much preferred the stock 3.2 CL's ride and if you're stress'en over the power drop of from the S, don't, the car scoots. 0-60 in 7.0 seconds is quick to most normal human beings. And once you sit in the seats, your body just melts into the leather and you're lulled to sleep by how smooth and quite the car is. My commute home will never be the same.

Contemporary Luxury with a hint of Sport

CalicoFeline, 06/17/2005

Best car I have ever owned. CL Type S, Black on Black with additional black wood accent trim around inst. panel, A/C vents, console, etc, WOW, upgraded interior, backup and fog lights to PIAA- improvement! When you ask it to go, it comes back and says “how fast”, very smooth & responsive, handles like a dream. 29,000 miles replaced tires to Bridgestone Turanza LSV – good choice. When you sit in the seat it wraps around you as to say “I’ll protect you”. Sad, to say I have experienced a few hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd, hope this is not a sign of the known tranny issues, other than that, no mechanical problems.

Mild mannered, got it where it counts

Meike, 06/22/2005

This car has been great. It always does what it should, and when I need it. Fun to drive, comfortable for long weekend driving. Style is clean and impressive, whenever someone gets in it they ask what is it?

2001 Acura CL-S

rico, 07/14/2005

The S-type is a hoot to drive. Excellent performance and cornering ability. The auto shift works well and get the job done. Gas milage is in the 25 mpg range overall. very quite overall with a nice growl from the duel exhaust. The only issues are the 6 cd changer jams up but then the problem clears up later in the day and the stock tires are sub par.

51050