Used 2005 Volvo V50 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V50

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Great Combo!
By skier

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the looks. The combo of turbo performance & mpg are great. The awd is good for handling & good traction in snow. I like the utility of a wagon. I get up to 31 mpg on the highway & 24 mpg around town. The passing power & smooth torque is what is so fun! My T5 has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling, turbo power, economy, utility.

Suggested Improvements

Could have more storage in the front, but I could see that when I bought it.

Expensive Repairs
By Dominicvail

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We thought we loved the car but it has been one repair after another. The kicker was that at 2 years old and with 25,000 the clutch burned out. This repair was not covered by Volvo for warrantee. My wife and I have always driven manual cars and this is the first clutch issue ever. It was $2,500 to fix. We will get rid of the car due to the dissatisfaction we have had with this experience. We have owned three other Volvos (V-70R AWD and XC-70 AWD) but this one has soured us. Say good bye to this one.

Favorite Features

Style.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the clutch.

My experience with the v50 2.4i
By dave

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I owned a 240 for 16 years. Liked it, but, not driving in snow. The v50 has the features I'm interested in: safety, comfortable seats, easy to drive in traffic, easy to park. The front wheel drive with snow tires have been excellent. I don't feel that AWD is necessary. I have been concerned about reliability, but, so far the only problem has been squeaky brakes when backing up. Problem has been intermittent and dealer has been very supportive. Problem not totally gone, but, only happens on rare occassions now. The car has been reliable and it is fun to drive. I like the car and I intend to keep it.

Favorite Features

Comfort, premium sound, versatility, performance in snow, good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone is right about the rear leg room, another inch or two would be nice. What I saw during the test drive is what I got. I think that if you don't like the test drive, then its a mismatch between your needs and what this car is intended to do.

Needs Work
By CDF58

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

My 2005 V50 lacks power, the S40 has more "pick-up" than this car. It has trouble with even a gradual incline and there's a delay when stepping on the gas to speed up. From the time I took delivery of the car, it had an acceleration issue after slowing down to go over speed bump or turning corners - very annoying. It would seem like it was going to stall when I reapplied pressure to the gas pedal. Service people didn't know how to fix it for the first 2+ years I owned it. The horn went out, my keys have fallen apart, and I hear a loud click/clunk when I back up while parallel parking. Visibility is poor - rear view and front-sides of windshield. Driver seatbelt seizes up regularly. Whew!

Favorite Features

I love the turning radius and the rear storage space (and the pull out storage cover).

Suggested Improvements

Make it more responsive and improve the visibility. provide better training for Volvo service reps and mechanics so they can more effectively diagnose and fix issues with all Volvos.

2 1/2 years with my V50
By fluffy

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my V50 as soon as they came out in 2004. I thought the novelty of this beauty would wear off, but now almost 3 years later, we are still in love with this car. It drives superbly, handles excellently, gas mileage is great, comfortable and elegant. We are a family of 4 (all slim though) and fit very well, the kid seats in the back are a huge plus with no ruining of leather. Have traveled all over Europe and the US in it so far and haven't had any problems whatsoever with mechanics. Never had anything broken in it, unlike the 2005 S40 T5 my husband owns, which has had a few problems too many for my comfort. I recommend this car to all, as it is a super deal for your money!

Favorite Features

Beautiful design! Stability control, flat folding back seats, child seats that convert to regular seats in 2 seconds, the computer that tells you important info. No clutter of a billion buttons.

Suggested Improvements

none really, satisfied with everything!