Used 2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

This car is a lemon!
By deuce316

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Within the first year of owning this car it had to be flatbed towed due to a faulty steering column. The doors and locks would not respond to either the key or the controls inside the car. Volvo looked at it 3 times before they could determine the problem.I had to drive there while the problem was happening to prove I wasn't crazy. I have 60k miles and I have to spend $1600 on a new clutch and clutch slave cylindar. the car is 4 yrs old and just over the warranty. Volvo will not take any ownership of the costs. A clutch should not break in 4 years. I am a very experienced standard transmission driver and it was not due to my handling. This car is a money pit! stay away at all costs.

Body style is sporty.

Aluminum console dents way too easy. if you drop your keys on it, you will dent it. The transmission is awful and needs to be factory recalled.

Loved my 6 spd. T5 but not again for me
By Eric

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Let me start by saying I am a longtime Volvo owner (2 S60's, 940T & T5) who always wanted this car. My T5 was the perfect car when it wasn't at the dealer for every little interior/electrical thing. The motor was GREAT and VERY fuel efficient (30+ mpg) Tons of torque, very comfortable, safe, handled good, very classy and different. Really loved this car but it was a royal headache of tiny issues (10 dealer repairs in 1 year...all different interior/electrical quirks). Being a Volvo owner I was used to little problems but it was a huge inconvenience spending all my time at the dealer (probably once a month). I still love that car but I sold it when the warranty ran out. Really a shame.

TORQUE of the wonderful 2.5 low pressure turbo motor. Driving position, SEATS are perfect in every Volvo, gas mileage, safety, drivetrain seemed bullet proof. Liked the interior design. Absolutely wonderful motor. LOVED this car...until.

Quality and component reliability. Needs Aux/iPod jack, Bluetooth and better displays. The oil filter was in a difficult location and you need a 36mm flex socket. Cartridge filters were a little high but that's normal. PLEASE improve quality Volvo! I am afraid my 4th Volvo was my last (sad day)

great car to drive
By Oleander

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car hits the sweet spot for me: powerful due to 5 cylinder turbo (plus I have stick shift), fuel efficient, reliable and good looking. Now my issue is to keep it running forever because they are no longer selling the stick shift. I also have 4WD which is helfpul when it snows.

5 cylinder turbo stick shift looks

eliminate grinding noise when automatic 4WD hits snow

Lemon
By Kim, FL

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Love the car, perfect for me being a college student. Fun and sporty and perfectly smooth ride, excellent interior design and comfort. However, within 2 years of owning the vehicle, I encountered numerous problems with it starting due to electronic faults and technological issues. Buy with caution to save yourself headaches.

Sound system, premium seats, smooth ride, classy looking interior and exterior, flexible and decent trunk space for such a small car.

Unfortunately many different issues with the car all related to electronics.

Awesome Car
By JMc

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car with every bell and whistle available. I got the 6- speed manual transmission, and the car drives very sporty. With the exception of the initial smell from the vents, I love everything about this car! The car handles great and is comfortable. I average about 23 mpg. With the rear split seat folded down, I can fit 3 people and 3 sets of golf clubs. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, the vehicle has not been to the shop.

The heated seats are probably my favorite feature, although the pop-up GPS is pretty nice too.

Somehow figure out a way to eliminate that initial odor eminating from the vents. Although the smell can be purged in about 20 seconds with the windows down, it is a bit cold in the winter to do this.