Used 2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo S40

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Loved my 6 spd. T5 but not again for me
By Eric

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Let me start by saying I am a longtime Volvo owner (2 S60's, 940T & T5) who always wanted this car. My T5 was the perfect car when it wasn't at the dealer for every little interior/electrical thing. The motor was GREAT and VERY fuel efficient (30+ mpg) Tons of torque, very comfortable, safe, handled good, very classy and different. Really loved this car but it was a royal headache of tiny issues (10 dealer repairs in 1 year...all different interior/electrical quirks). Being a Volvo owner I was used to little problems but it was a huge inconvenience spending all my time at the dealer (probably once a month). I still love that car but I sold it when the warranty ran out. Really a shame.

Favorite Features

TORQUE of the wonderful 2.5 low pressure turbo motor. Driving position, SEATS are perfect in every Volvo, gas mileage, safety, drivetrain seemed bullet proof. Liked the interior design. Absolutely wonderful motor. LOVED this car...until.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and component reliability. Needs Aux/iPod jack, Bluetooth and better displays. The oil filter was in a difficult location and you need a 36mm flex socket. Cartridge filters were a little high but that's normal. PLEASE improve quality Volvo! I am afraid my 4th Volvo was my last (sad day)

great car to drive
By Oleander

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car hits the sweet spot for me: powerful due to 5 cylinder turbo (plus I have stick shift), fuel efficient, reliable and good looking. Now my issue is to keep it running forever because they are no longer selling the stick shift. I also have 4WD which is helfpul when it snows.

Favorite Features

5 cylinder turbo stick shift looks

Suggested Improvements

eliminate grinding noise when automatic 4WD hits snow

Lemon
By Kim, FL

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Love the car, perfect for me being a college student. Fun and sporty and perfectly smooth ride, excellent interior design and comfort. However, within 2 years of owning the vehicle, I encountered numerous problems with it starting due to electronic faults and technological issues. Buy with caution to save yourself headaches.

Favorite Features

Sound system, premium seats, smooth ride, classy looking interior and exterior, flexible and decent trunk space for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately many different issues with the car all related to electronics.

Awesome Car
By JMc

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car with every bell and whistle available. I got the 6- speed manual transmission, and the car drives very sporty. With the exception of the initial smell from the vents, I love everything about this car! The car handles great and is comfortable. I average about 23 mpg. With the rear split seat folded down, I can fit 3 people and 3 sets of golf clubs. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, the vehicle has not been to the shop.

Favorite Features

The heated seats are probably my favorite feature, although the pop-up GPS is pretty nice too.

Suggested Improvements

Somehow figure out a way to eliminate that initial odor eminating from the vents. Although the smell can be purged in about 20 seconds with the windows down, it is a bit cold in the winter to do this.

Made From Volvonium
By bbradley

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the S40 T5 "slightly used" at the beginning of the year; it never let me down once. The car looks cool without being flashy and the interior is smartly designed. It just plain runs and is sturdy as an ox. It even has above-average pickup for such a tiny 4-door packed with so many options. Unfortunately, 10 months later due to some questionable road conditions I got intimate with a concrete wall. The Volvo wasn't exactly indestructible-- the entire driver's side was smashed in. I was a bit smashed in myself, but thankfully nothing permanent. I'm convinced that the Volvo saved my life. I'm driving a clunker today, but you can bet that I'll be a Volvo customer for life.

Favorite Features

Leather upholstery, center console, quiet cabin, sleek design, side airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, smoother auto shifting, quieter defroster. I'm really nitpicking here. I might opt for AWD next time.