Used 1992 Volvo 240 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

Volvos Rule
By debs

1992 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely a tank and a workhorse. I have driven the crap out of it and it just keeps going. In the 15 years my dad and I have owned it, we have only had to invest about $2000 in it, not including routine maintainence.

Favorite Features

It is ugly to most, but it has the tightest turning radius and will just go go go.

Suggested Improvements

Not very aerodynamic, the air conditioning is poor and conversation is difficult with the windows down.

10 years later, still love this old car.
By Matt

1992 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my second 240. I have driven the car over 100,000 (it has 177K 3/06) with only minimal problems (one bad fuse, an idling problem, warped rotors, broken door pockets, had to replace factory radio and speakers). We have an independent Volvo mechanic in Kingsport who keeps her on the road. This is not a fast car but it keeps up with traffic pretty well considering its weight and its 4cyl engine. This car is perfect for persons who want something safe to drive and enjoy driving something a little different. If you are knowledgable with auto repair, you'll find that the 240 is easy to maintain. The AC stinks and robs what little horsepower you have.

Favorite Features

Heater, comfortable seats, styling, gauges, responsive automatic transmission with seamless shifts.

Suggested Improvements

More power (114 hp is not enough), door pockets that don't break immediately after replacing them. I wish Volvo would get on the retro bandwagon (ala HHR and PT Cruiser) and make these tanks again!