1992 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
600,000 and still running strong
By dvonohlerking on 09/21/12 12:10 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

This car will not die on you if you take care of it.... well... even if you dont it probably still wont die... this car can go faster than you EVER need a car to go, and its fuel economy is amazing considering its a hunk of metal.( i get about 28 to the gallon) Best part. they sell for cheap! lots of people who get them, sell them simpely because they have a flat tire, a fuse blows, spark plugs get old, or they get a newer car. seriously changing your oil and occationally checking your fluids, is all this car seems to need.

1992 Volvo 240
By Ashley on 06/04/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

My boyfriend had one in his garage for about a year before I bought mine. Even though he didn't drive it, he refused to sell it to me because he was too attached. Now I have my own. It's a wonderful car. I love the boxy (but not too boxy like 740s) look. Runs great, comfortable. Always reliable.

Classic Build ......one of the best made
By dasontop on 03/20/07 05:45 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

i've owned 2 of these and think they were built great... reliable and if well taken care of will perform..... only thing i don't like is that the seats are boxy and no contour for the body....

The Swedish Washer/Dryer
By Mary on 05/15/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

As mentioned earlier, find a good local mechanic to fix this car and stay away from the dealer or prepare to be taken to the cleaners! You may run into oil leak troubles with this model. Mine's been leaking slowly for five years and five different mechanics have been unable to fix it except for very short stretches. I paid $4K for this car when it had 70K original miles. Not a bad deal but I've put at least $5K into it over six years so it's affectionately known as the $9,000 washer/dryer. This car isn't cheap to fix but overall it's been reliable (no major repairs and it's going on 209K miles)! The single most expensive repair bill was $1,300 for various items around 150K miles.

The quintessential old Volvo
By Chriselicious on 01/29/06 00:41 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

A Toyota Camry from this era is probably a more economical car to own, but the Volvo makes more of a statement and has it's certain little features that I can appreciate. A word to the wise if you plan on buying a Volvo from this era; make friends with your local Volvo mechanic, becuase a dealer will take you to the cleaners. Also, finding decent used parts for this car has been very easy as well; my local junkyard usually has a few Volvos like mine lying around. I have had two front end collisions with the car, as well as a break in, and I was able to find used parts at a fairly decent price for each incident. Mechanically, the car has never let me down through much use & abuse. Period.

I love old betsy
By stulester on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

What my car lacked in style &sex appeal she more than made up for in dependability, ride & safety. I love this car, so much so I'm still driving it in 2003 w/ over 160,000 miles on her. She keeps going and going and going.

My Swedish Tank
By The Jenny on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

The 240-series Volvos were being produced for over 25 years. It's a simple and reliable car, whose design was perfected over time. Not a flashy car, but a very reliable one that will take all your abuse and keep coming back for more.