2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

S to Wolfsburg Edition
By flbntz

2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had an S in Blue, damaged, not convinced fixed right, traded for this. Opera Red, Cornsilk leatherette interior. Beautiful car. Very much a Volkswagen. Elegant, but tough. Understated. A machine. Awesome on the highway. Like the new 1.8l turbo. Had a 2.5l inline five on a 2010 Golf. I thought it was more than enough engine for that car, decent gas milage, but this is better.

Favorite Features

Understated elegance, functionality. Air conditioner so cold it will make your hands hurt.

Suggested Improvements

Heater takes a while to warm up the cabin. Went from S to Wolfsburg Edition, gained heated seats. Made all the difference in the tough winter we just had here in Pennsylvania.

Ausgehtzeichnet!
By 14freud

2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Writing this review after 5 days. Got base 2014 with only 8k miles on it. Great deal! So far, runs great. Turbo kicks in nicely when accelerating. Trans takes getting used to as "D" wants lower gears to save gas, but "S" runs more like a traditional trans. Son says back seat has more room than Honda (I traded in a 2002 Accord). Decent stereo..rides nice and is quiet.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is design. Not many Passats in Metro Detroit area, so its a little more "unique." Simple dash layout and PLENTY of room!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe improve heater..takes a little while to heat up on frigid days (not such a big deal, but noticeably different from 2002 Honda). Maybe a bigger armrest compartment, too.

Great Family Sedan
By bimmershawn

2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I put on about 1400 miles on a Passat S auto. The overall quality is gone down quite a bit from my 99 Passat GL V6 that I had before. The car is now manufactured in Tennessee instead of Germany. So far I have not encountered any problems. The car rides very comfortably except the bottom seat cushion is kind of hard. The fuel economy is very good and you also get a large gas tank. Power is adequate but not spectacular. I got a very good lease program (around >$4K below MSRP). Great value and a solid choice as a family car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy; rear seat leg room is huge; big trunk; quiet & smooth ride; nice driving feel.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is programmed to save fuel which it would up shift in a hurry even when I push the peddle half way or more. I wish the program is a little more aggressive in relationship to the gas peddle, but not as much as the S mode. The transmission is also somewhat more abrupt when it down shifts to low gears.

Drives great. Features are awful
By jdp5000

2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Cons. Everything else. Radio/GPS is the worst I have ever had. Often when your first turn the car on the radio/nav won't respond to commands for 1-2 minutes. When I put the car in reverse the backup camera doesn't come on for 1-2 minutes also. By that time I am long out of a parking space. Worthless. Navigation won't allow address entry for the first 1-2 min. The Nav entry system is cumbersome and just poorly designed. Remote start is also designed by a moran. You have to start the car and then restart the car when you enter it. VW-carnet is worthless. It is as though Vw just threw somethin

Favorite Features

large back seat. Acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Faster Radio/nav. You can actually count to three before the radio changes stations. Nav takes forever to first boot up. Back up camera doesnt come on until after I am long out of the parking spot. VW car net is as though Vw threw something together at the last minute so that they can say that they have some connectivity.

"Where excitement goes to die." Really?
By moreldav

2014 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My love of cars has spanned a fair number of years and over two dozen cars. This is my second VW. I traded in a 2008 BMW 535xi Sport for this car, which had replaced a beloved 2002 Audi A6 2.7T. The Passat has reminded me of the many reasons I am a fan of VW Group cars. I was concerned that the transition out of the driving experience of the BMW would be rough, but I was wrong. The Passat is comfortable, spacious, well-appointed, reasonably quick, and sneers at gas pumps (I drove from NJ to Boston and back on one tank of regular fuel). It is not going to win stoplight drag races or autocross rallies, but as a large family sedan, it's really tough to beat. Glad I ignored the naysayers!

Favorite Features

The SEL trim level is heavily appointed, and has most options I would like. The Fender stereo is great - that helped convert my teenage son to a believer. The rear camera is very helpful. The fuel economy is tremendous - mid- to high 30's on the highway is typical from regular fuel. Acceleration at highway speeds is quick, much more so than from low speeds. Split folding rear seats are easy to operate and add convenience. The large, wide-opening sunroof is a nice touch. Redundant controls and displays make it (mostly) easy to operate the car and minimize distractions. I also love the voice recognition, and having the car talk back to me with a British dialect.

Suggested Improvements

Please upgrade to better, more intuitive telematics! Data entry for the navigation is tedious at best, as is changing music on satellite radio or MP3 without presets. Things I wish for, but can live without: Parking sensors, power folding side mirrors, heated steering wheel, a Sport handling package. Also, the fact that the auto-start shuts off when even the trunk opens is a bit of overkill. I may find that I miss AWD this winter, but that's yet to be seen. Finally, while I love the stereo's sound and driving bass, it does tend to rattle panels a bit, belying the car's otherwise solid construction.